Naish Pivot 2020

Forum for kitesurfers
SurfboY
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Knokke-Heist
Favorite Beaches: El Coche, Ras Sudr, Zanzibar
Style: Big Air, Freeride
Gear: Naish kites, Nobile board, Mystic harnass and O’neill wetsuit.

Re: Naish Pivot 2020

Postby SurfboY » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:26 pm

It’s hard to choose, I’ve never been so confused with choosing a kite. I love the Torch but it’s really working on you in high winds and you drop too fast with high jumps. Pivot seems a good solution, or maybe Dash. I don’t really do a lot of unhooked tricks now, just enjoying big air, some loops and hooked in tricks. Hopefully I can test both but that’s hard here.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:28 pm

SurfboY wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:45 am
Anyone that can compare a Naish Torch 8m (2019) top end with the Pivot 8m 2020? I was in 32knots gusts 40 with my 8 Torch which was too much, I wonder if a 8m Pivot would have worked better.

I read you need to take one smaller size in Pivot and that the wind range is similar. But that’s all from older versions of the Pivot. What about 2020?

I don’t mind being overpowered, that’s what I want for Big Air. But I need to be able to hold my edge.
TLDR; Yes you could have used a Pivot. Read the longer version too.

So, personally I think giving advice on top end is a bit hard. There are so many variables that come into play...comfort, board, riding style, rider weight..even temperature seems to impact wind strength. So in colder weather, it feels to me like the wind has less power. But of course, it could be just conditions as well. When that is said, even if I cannot do a direct comparison with the 2019 8 torch..I've ridden a few of them before. I also have an 8 pivot for this year.
In 40 knots you'll be lit. Way way lit on a pivot for sure. I do not doubt that it can handle lit conditions. I've ridden a 9 pivot in well over 30knots, and although sending it was fun, I got to some uncomfortable heights so this year I opted for the 8 pivot for those conditions. I do not think it hits 40 knots tho. Might want a bit smaller for it.

Yes sure you'd normally choose at least a size smaller for pivot vs torch, but pivot is much much more comfortable to ride lit than torch IMO. But they handle very differently. I tend to prefer pivot by a pretty big margin. Torch was fun when I was younger.
Torch puts a lot of management on your board handling and pressure, and the pivot relies more on the bar tho once you get lit, certainly all your board skills from the torch will come into play. In lit conditions jumping a torch is great for superhuman athletes, where pivots you can use the bar more actively to gain heigh. Certainly, the pivot has that gut-wrenching pull when jumping lit, but not quite as much as the torch. Its a lot easier to correct a jump on the pivot..especially when using 9 or lower sizes...

If you do not unhook personally I would go for the pivot any day of the week. It still pulls in loops, but obviously not like the torch, but key for me is being able to correct shit that goes wrong. Last time I really looped a torch I ended up with PT for 6 months.
Pivot I use mainly for surfing waves and TT.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:48 pm

tautologies wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:28 pm
even temperature seems to impact wind strength. So in colder weather, it feels to me like the wind has less power. But of course, it could be just conditions as well.
Air temperature certainly impacts power.
However it is the other way around:
You lose ballpark about 10% of the wind power between 0 and 30 degrees Celsius.
This is because warmer air is less dense

Note that humidity also affects power.
Higher humidity is less power. Also about 10% change between 10% and 90% humidity at 25 degrees Celcius
(gets less pronounced when the temp drops since it can hold less moisture)
Maybe a bit counter intuitive but this is because the molecular weight of water vapour is 18, while that of the air is around 29.
Therefore, more humidity decreases the effective weight of the air, consequently decreasing the mass that is pushing against the kite.

SurfboY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SurfboY » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:04 pm

Alright thanks for the feedback. Still hard to choose, now I’ve also added the Duotone Dice as an option. If I would just read all marketing articles I would probably go for the Naish Dash, but not everybody is so enthusiastic about that one

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:42 pm

SurfboY wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:04 pm
Alright thanks for the feedback. Still hard to choose, now I’ve also added the Duotone Dice as an option. If I would just read all marketing articles I would probably go for the Naish Dash, but not everybody is so enthusiastic about that one
I think you need to demo kites and ask less on the forum :naughty:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:04 pm

SurfboY wrote:

I think if what you like is TT / boots / unhooked the dash is a fantastic choice. If you want big air and control I would go pivot. I owned the dash and like the kite, but I spend more time in waves than on a TT.

SurfboY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SurfboY » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:38 am

Exal wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:42 pm
SurfboY wrote:
I think you need to demo kites and ask less on the forum :naughty:
You’re right but I can’t test them because they are not enough testdays that I can attend. Just the Duotone dice I can test soon.

SurfboY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SurfboY » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:37 pm

So I just tested the Pivot 2020. I must say it’s a good kite with very nice jumping/hangtime and easy to ride. More depower as well compared to a C kite.

What I didn’t like were downloops after a jump (sometimes the kite didn’t finish the loop very well, sometimes it even felt back in the window after a downloop). Maybe the wind was also light for a 8m. Another point was that at some times you don’t know where the kite is. Missing some bar feel in my opinion. But then, the C kite is all about bar feel.

I’m sure you can have lots of fun with it once you get used to it. I might consider buying a 7m next to my 8/10 Torches. First I will test the Duotone Dice, the winnner will win :)

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:47 pm

SurfboY wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:37 pm
So I just tested the Pivot 2020. I must say it’s a good kite with very nice jumping/hangtime and easy to ride. More depower as well compared to a C kite.

What I didn’t like were downloops after a jump (sometimes the kite didn’t finish the loop very well, sometimes it even felt back in the window after a downloop). Maybe the wind was also light for a 8m. Another point was that at some times you don’t know where the kite is. Missing some bar feel in my opinion. But then, the C kite is all about bar feel.

I’m sure you can have lots of fun with it once you get used to it. I might consider buying a 7m next to my 8/10 Torches. First I will test the Duotone Dice, the winnner will win :)
Always impotant to have the bar well tuned when looping the pivots, if bar is accelerated the kite tends to stall a little bit, I find the kite is much more reactive with an inch of depower on the trim (when lines properly aligned)

SurfboY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SurfboY » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:44 pm

juanpasala wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:47 pm
SurfboY wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:37 pm

Always impotant to have the bar well tuned when looping the pivots, if bar is accelerated the kite tends to stall a little bit, I find the kite is much more reactive with an inch of depower on the trim (when lines properly aligned)
Exactly what I mean, the stalling. I was on full power (C habit). I noticed Kevin Langeree also has a little of depower on when he’s riding the Pivot.

Return to “Kitesurfing”