Forum for kitesurfers
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby purdyd » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:32 am

ORSales wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:22 pm
[
As mentioned too, our conventional material kites are already the lightest 3 strut kites available. It could be interesting for you to consider trying one of our 2019 or 2020 kites as an introduction to the brand, our build quality, etc and to then use the trade in option to swap up to a BLACK kite when they are available.
Thanks for the response.

lets talk about this because that is obviously an option and I appreciate you bringing it up.

Did I miss the 2020 roam roll out? What is the weight of the 8 meter?

Is there any correlation between the 2020 roam and the aluula version, bar pressure? Turning speed?

How generous is the trade in on a 2020 kite?

Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Osprey1 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:25 am

I can’t wait to get a 12m flite. My new home spot is at 5100 feet elevation in the mountains and is typically somewhat gusty. Having a kite that can still fly when it drops below 8 for periods at a time yet be stable in gusts of 20+ will be a game changer for me.

kiteclub_gr
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo, Blankforce, Mystic,

Postby kiteclub_gr » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:48 am

Hello Kiters,

Angelos from kiteclub.gr here. For the past 10 years we have had the luck to be the Greek distributors of Ocean Rodeo. In all these year we had the opportunity to see and try all the new things OR had to offer to the kite industry. Vesturi, FST, Flite (The besy and ligther light wind kite), the stick and the swift bar. But never before have we been so excited to try something like the ALLULA. We believe it is a real revolution and if all is as described (lighter and stronger kites), it could mean a big evolution in the industry.

As kiteclub.gr we always support the revolutionary try-outs of OR, so we will try to be the first ones that can offer you a kite made from aluula for a test flight. We hope in the following weeks to have the first kites for demo use.

Having said that, whoever would like to try out the allula, they will be welcomed to stay over at our beach house for a few nights, free of charge.

Our beach house is located 15min from the National airport Eleftherios Venizelos, 50meters from the beach and a 5min walk from the kite spot. Grab only your harness and come try with us the new industry changer.

For enquiries you can send us a pm or email at sales@kiteclub.gr
kiteforum1.jpg
kiteforum2.jpg

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:54 pm

Purdyd, the official announcement for the new 2020 line up will be next week at the AWSI / GKA meeting. Trade in value is typically between 50-60% on a kite that's in good condition and less than 1 year old. It falls off to about 30% on a 2 year old kite.

The 2020 Roam (and all our other kites) will be the lightest we've ever built. The whole 2020 "conventional material" line up is gorgeous, we're very proud of it and all the small refinements. Specific to your question - yes, if you're familiar with the Roam's characteristics when you switch to a BLACK version of the same kite it will feel familiar but with noticeable performance and handling improvement. Most notable off the bat is reactivity and loft in the jumps as well as the obvious benefits in light wind or wind pockets. One thing I find super cool is that with the weight reduction so focused on the LE, when a normal kite would luff over and fall from the sky the BLACK kites will fall backward in the window, resulting in them catching a puff and pulling back up... really noticable in pockets or light winds.

Osprey, see the notes above.... sounds like they would be ideal for your location

Kiteclub, (and all the dealers on this thread) thank-you for your support! We look forward to getting these demo kites out to you soon!

John
These users thanked the author ORSales for the post:
purdyd (Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:10 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

FlannellPants
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Foxton and Waikanae New Zealand
Favorite Beaches: Western Australia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switch and Blade
Been thanked: 0

Postby FlannellPants » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:30 am

Great stuff OR. I’m looking forward to the big changes this is going to generate in the industry.

It seems a shame not to have the canopy made out of Aluula too. Next generation perhaps??

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an OR kite in New Zealand. This is about to change I suspect.

I’m watching with interest and hope to be able to buy one second hand in five years or so :lol:

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:34 am

Hi OR. Thanks for all the information. It's good to hear things direct from the company and not second hand and dodgy opinions from armchair experts.

Not ignoring the revolutionary nature of Aluula, so you've talked about Roam and Flite kites in the Black series. This is great, but it's a refinement on existing stuff. A lighter, stronger kite is better, but it's also same-same-but different. Henry Ford described it as "a better horse".

Do you have anything in the works that might be truly revolutionary? Something that says "Didn't see that coming." I'm thinking stupid high AR race kites, or a single quiver kite with a massive sweet spot that truly does work from 5-50 knots, or .....

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:23 pm

Nothing game changer here like Aluula.....Here is one small change to the evolution in the "traditional" construction Flites that are out now (V6.5). The last part of my kite to dry was neoprene strut covers. Other brands made them solid silicone. Ocean Rodeo made them better.
20190620_140618.jpg
The bridle lines are thinner, lighter weight material, but just as strong. On the 14.5 and 17m we've got the trailing edge has no dacron. Rumor is the V7's will also have an improvement to the "top hat" inflate valve cover

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:08 pm

Thanks Droffats! We're super stoked on all the "small little" things we've improved this year. Both from a tactical / user experience POV and from a weight reduction POV.

Oz - we have so many skunkworks projects on the go... so many :) but I can't tell you any of them lest I steal our own thunder! ha.

Flannel - the weight reduction to the kite is most dramatic with the dacron. However, absolutely we see a pathway to a full Aluula kite... all in due course!

Iridian
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Assateague, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Mauritania
Style: Free Style
Gear: Slingshot, Crazyfly, RE, Ocean Rodeo, Liquid Force

Postby Iridian » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:30 pm

@orsales

For those of us more technically inclined, can you go over what exactly aluula is? The aluula website claims it's graphene which I find a bit hard to believe.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:50 pm

If you guys don't use the catch phrase, "Once you go black, you never go back," then I don't know what marketing is even for...
These users thanked the author Mossy 757 for the post:
nixmatters (Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:47 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”