Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New aquatik single skin by Conceptair

For all foil kite riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New aquatik single skin by Conceptair

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:10 am

You can see Marc (Blanc ) seize the chicken loop sometimes when needed.

I called Benoit to chat this afternoon (about firefly as my attraction for this FF 2.5 for strong wind kite on water or snow) . I do not know if it will answer your question, but he said to me that the drift (meaning fully depowered or even 4 slack lines) is unbelievable and stability is crazy: you can absolutelly "forget the kite" , let the bar go (but it will uncomfortably flap) , ride in the direction you want without thinking , with no power in harness, and re-pilot the kite later on...

The kite seems simple but is not according to Benoit and requires even more fabrication work than a wave (double skin).

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:45 am

i look forward to see how it drifts and rides depowered.

flapping is ok and expected... i'd just like it not to twist and turn into a falling taco when the lines go slack for a few seconds.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:06 pm

Yes i see your concern. I have not seen any video showing the depowered kite. Ben told me that during all his tests including horrible wind where even the CA wave was not stable, he never succed in frontstalling (hindenburg) the ff. Apparently "uncollapsable"... ! To be confirmed.

On my side, i am wondering how it behaves in very high wind like 40-45 knots on snow or water with the 2.5 (like i had once with the pulsion 369, it was the safety limit for my 60kg ...) . No test yet with those winds of a y FF unfortunatelly...

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:07 pm

stefFZ wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:29 pm
Firefly 4m in 20-25 knots:

First comments on the 2.5 here > http://www.lesfoilz.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4605

I am still waiting for the 6m.
Any more information about the 6 meter?

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:17 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:43 am
A 2.5m2 kite in 8-10 knot ? Are you kidding ???
This is my next kite ...
In the video of Marc it seems to be a 4 m², still very good, but to me seems not to different in the low end as Peaks. Just remember Marc is riding and pumping a foil that can also fly just with pumping.
But very cool ride and place to do :thumb:

Yesterday I ordered the 2,5 m² Firefly and hope for a bit more highend then my Peak4 3 m² even if not sure, but in any case pretty sure a better chance for relaunch if slaming it into white water.

When I get it I hope to be able to compare Firefly with my loved Peaks and maybe also Ozone Explore and GIN Marabou, even if the last one we still don't know when they start do deliver to our shop :roll:

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:20 pm

oh yeah sorry , it is a typo, I mixed with the one I intend to order (as well, but still hesitating with Wave 3m, depending on effective wind range for snow kite) ; I will correct.

interesting test to come from you Sergio, with your skills and analysis quality !

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:34 pm

I finally decided for a 3m Wave, suspecting a better wind range , important in my very gusty winds areas , especially when (rarely) strong; a bit less pure wave but more all-round I think. And ... cheaper in second hand vs Firefly

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:20 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:34 pm
I finally decided for a 3m Wave, suspecting a better wind range , ...
For sure a good choice :thumb: , I thought about the same for the same reason. But now decided for the for sure a bit smaller range and lower high end, but hopefully even better drift, exciting new concept and also the backstall control for stunt kiting. :D .. and as also hope to have just one single concept that also fits well for the winter mountains.
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
merl (Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

stefFZ
Medium Poster
Style: Strapless surfing
Gear: Concept Air Waves & Pulsions. Still a couple of Flysurfers P4.

Postby stefFZ » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:44 pm

I am out of office right now :-)

I had not the proper wind to test the FF6 properly but I could it give it a go in small powerful waves although I had to walk upwind.

I tested water relaunch by landing it in the water from the beach over the shore break and i suspect water relaunch will not be an issue at all. On the beach I could run (not walk) 20m downwind with the FF at zenith position without collapsing the kite although I was under powered on my surfboard. Drift on the water was also very good and maniability as well. Bar pressure is lower than the Waves same size and there is no latency on bar inputs.

I cannot say much more right now, I need to do more tests.

Stef
These users thanked the author stefFZ for the post:
slowboat (Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:13 pm)

gl
Medium Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:04 pm

Yesterday I got to try my Firefly 6 meter for the first time. First in a field with very little wind. The kite popped right up as soon as I pulled on the bar and would do controlled turns before the leading edge had inflated fully. It had a surprising amount of pull through the wind window in the light wind. Later I tried it in the water. I was expecting 10 to 14 knots and instead I ended up with 14 to 20 knots. I had taken a large foil board and the Infinity 84 foil with a short mast in the hope that I could get it to work in the light winds. So not an ideal setup for the wind. I have to drift launch and also land in the water. I was not sure how well it would drift launch. I inflated the leading edge a little more than half and dropped in on it's back and let the lines out as it slowly drifted away. It caught me by surprise and flipped over onto to it's leading edge before I was was ready. I thought that would be a problem but instead I pulled on one steering line and the kite flipped up and took off. It flew well even though it leading edge was not fully inflated yet. It did not take long to fill out. Of course as soon as I was ready to go the wind dropped down temporarily. I dove the kite and did not get close to getting up on the board Interesting thing with this kite is that it was able to lift me up onto the board on the upstroke if I took it to just past the zenith. Then because I was up on the board the down stroke brought me up onto the foil. Most of the time I could feel a slight fluttering through the bar. I would not say the kite was flapping but rather a slight fluttering. Keep in mind that I had to have the kite at least partially depowered almost all the time so did not get to ride it fully sheeted in. The bar pressure was what I would call moderate and quite comfortable. The kite could turn quickly but I did not experience any large power spikes as it moved across the wind window although since I was powered up I did not send it hard while on the large foil. The upwind was good and I did not trouble moving upwind from the crowd. Downwind was really good but I did not get the maximize the fun there as with the short mast and large foil wing as I dropped down the rolling swell it was hard to keep the foil in the water. Hopefully this week I will get out again and use it with the right equipment to test the downwind abilities. Overall I am quite pleased with the kite think it is going to great once I have had more time on it to maximize it's potential. It is quite powerful for it's size and I would think that it's low end will be about the same and my 8.5 meter Smart Wave which gets me going around 12 knots. I will know more once I test it in lower wind. The landing in the water was a joy. I took it to the side of the window and stalled it with the back lines it dropped and stayed down. The kite does not seem to take on any water so rolling it up in the water was easy and it is very compact to carry. I will report more after trying it in lighter wind. I just remembered one more thing. When the kite is at the side of the wind window, if you let it, the kite wants to move down to the water much faster than my other kites. This is not a problem just something to be aware of. Up higher it sits there nicely.
These users thanked the author gl for the post:
Regis-de-giens (Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:37 pm)

Return to “Foil Kites”