Forum for kitesurfers
ichabod
Medium Poster
Gear: kite, strings, short wooden plank
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Questions on Mystic Stealth bar

Postby ichabod » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:30 am

I'm considering one of these for both SB and TT riding and have a couple of questions:

1. If I go with the hook version, can it be easily converted to rope? Has anyone tried using both together or would the hook interfere with the Cl sliding on the rope?
2. If I go for the rope version instead, is it safe or advisable to use the mini rope loop for TT riding, big air etc? I'm concerned about the CL getting jammed if trying to release under load. I'm considering using the Duotone wave CL which has the angled metal sheath, I imagine this is even more likely to cause a jam.

Thanks

zlatko23
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 70
Favorite Beaches: Keros(Limnos)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5m², Ozone Enduro V3 7/11m²&V4 9m², CrazyFly Raptor LTD, Appletree Malus Domestica 5'1"

Re: Questions on Mystic Stealth bar..

Postby zlatko23 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:39 am

If I can judge from this video: the hook and rope could be easily interchanged. I was considering doing like you suggested - buying the hook version and a rope replacement kit and being able to change one with the other, but in the end I just ordered the rope version. My stealth bar will arrive next week and I will be able to give you more info as I am interested in this as well.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:26 pm

Although I think designed primarily for waist harnesses, I have the Stealth rope version (medium) which is on my Ion Echo (large) seat harness. Fits fine and is really stable, and is also a huge amount lighter than my Dynabar slider which is pretty much destroyed.

I took the back off to have a look (4 x T20 torx bolts) and the rope is dead easy to replace. All that's needed is a length of 5mm Dyneema knotted at each end, but I'll probably replace it with spliced 3.5mm Dyneema when required.
Last edited by iriejohn on Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

collider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plumb
Gear: Arcs/Foils

Postby collider » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:22 pm

Just got one of these, so thought I'd add a somewhat noob perspective to this thread. I have the 2017 RideEngine. Had a hook spreader on that one, got the rope on the stealth, as I have no plans to unhook. I've only used it twice so far. Because of the extra padding top and bottom, it is 1000% more comfortable than the RE spreader. I didn't even realize that was an issue until I put this on. So far I like the rope slider, I barely notice it, other than it feels like my bar is slightly farther away. At some point I will replace my chicken loops with smaller/surf versions. Folks with way more experience than me used to the stationary hook will probably be more attuned and notice a difference in the way it moves. I liked it for topside strapless, but I'm still working on turns, so I can't blame falls on anything other than inexperience :D
I'm still fiddling with the fit. A bit of a pain, as the RE 2017 strap only has one strap on each side that circles back (not like the double straps on 2018), so it has to be fed through both holes on the stealth. It pinches a bit at those holes as it's fed around, so making adjustments involves taking it off and working it through. Shouldn't be a problem any more once it's all fit and broken in. The click in is super nice, very quick, and feels solid once you hear the small click. I have to make sure the rope or ring doesn't interfere with the latch (small thing to check, get used to it quickly).
Not stealth specific, but handing kites off to friends is a bit of a chore for obvious reasons.
So far this makes a great harness even better.
These users thanked the author collider for the post:
zlatko23 (Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

zlatko23
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5m², Ozone Enduro V3 7/11m²&V4 9m², CrazyFly Raptor LTD, Appletree Malus Domestica 5'1"

Postby zlatko23 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:28 pm

@collider
Can you please give some insight on the sizing? What size RE harness and stealth bar are you using? I am currently using my 2018 RE size S with Mystic Clickerbar 4.0 size M and it fits perfectly. Wonder about the Stealthbar when it arrives as I ordered 280mm....I hope I will not have change for 240mm. Mystic Clickerbar 4.0 in size M is approx. 260mm.

PS. I was stating above that it seems one can easily change from hook to rope, but I found the following comment under a Youtube video. It is from Mystic distributor Blast Kiteboarding: "I have just heard from Mystic, the only way to have both is too have the fixed hook stealth and then add the rope in the holes already on the bar. (The hook is fixed part of the stealth so cannot be added or removed)"

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:04 pm

If you have the rope slider version and want a fixed connection, don't put your CL through the short rope. Push the ring on the long slider rope through the short rope which locks it in place. Then put your CL through the ring ... safe fixed connection.
These users thanked the author Tony for the post:
iriejohn (Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:07 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

ichabod
Medium Poster
Gear: kite, strings, short wooden plank
Has thanked: 0

Postby ichabod » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:21 pm

clever tip there thanks. Though I guess if using the duotone wave CL you wouldn't be using the ring.. would the ring even be safe on that CL? I can imagine it jamming quite easily but have never tested it.

collider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plumb
Gear: Arcs/Foils

Postby collider » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:54 pm

@zlatko23
I got the S/M Harness = S/M Spreader Bar (280mm) On a Large RE harness. I've been losing weight, I might have to switch the harness for a Medium at some point. I won't be upset about that problem at all if it happens :D
@Tony
Never thought about that, but seems great solution. Was that the connection Mystic intended, or did you make that up?

zlatko23
Medium Poster

Postby zlatko23 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:34 pm

@collider
Mystic as far as I have seen never showed how exactly one should connect chicken loop to the short rope. I have seen some reviewers suggest threading the long rope with the ring through the short one, then connecting the chicken loop to the ring instead of connecting it directly through short rope. Seems to me that way the chicken loop is less in danger of getting stuck when quick releasing.

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:30 am

When I was buying it I tried to fit a CL in the small rope ... couldn't do it and when I asked the guy at the shop he showed me the method I posted. I had never heard that before so figured I'd post it here. It would be nice if Mystic would show how this is intended to be used.

Return to “Kitesurfing”