Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Small pocket board - looking for recommendation/advice

Postby elguapo » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:55 pm

BigSky wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:00 pm
I have the Kanaha shapes 41, Groove Skate and the Newind suggested. Here are my 2 cents. The Kanaha shapes rides by far and away the best. It's super basic and awesomely light. It just locks in when up on foil. The process with Kanaha was easy. He had it in stock and shipped it. The Groove Skate took months to get and was little frustrating. That's how I ended up purchasing the Kanaha. He kept telling me 30 days, 30 days for months. I was losing my whole summer waiting for Groove so bought the Kanaha.

Later, I bought a split board from Newind. It also took months. I can tell you it's beautiful and it makes traveling so easy. I can fit a foil, board, wetsuit, harness and 4 kites (Peak 4) with bars into a backpack that weighs less than 40 pounds. No charges.

I still prefer the Kanaha for everyday but I'm happy I purchased the Newind from Riccordo. In summary, Groove Skate was the least impressive of the 3. I wouldn't buy a Newind unless it's the split. I've had the Kanaha for 2 years and still love it. It's also the cheapest. Cheers. BS
that's epic, man!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:29 pm

I've not tried these boards, but have found by experimenting with 90-105-110-120 cm boards that a 110 is best. There's not hardly any benefits ( while riding) to going shorter. I'm 75+ kg and using a Moses 633, which is very similar to the Impulse.
The other thing I've found is that even 500g more weight has a noticeable difference in flight.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
matanshapira (Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:50 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

matanshapira
Medium Poster

Postby matanshapira » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:52 pm

TomW wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:29 pm
I've not tried these boards, but have found by experimenting with 90-105-110-120 cm boards that a 110 is best. There's not hardly any benefits ( while riding) to going shorter. I'm 75+ kg and using a Moses 633, which is very similar to the Impulse.
The other thing I've found is that even 500g more weight has a noticeable difference in flight.
On one hand you say there is no benefit in going shorter than 110 and on the other hand you say that 500g is noticeable. There's a weight saving in 15cm shorter board, right?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:02 pm

But weight and size are not the same thing.

Might feel nicer when a board is 500g lighter, but if it ditches far more often because is is 15 cm shorter it might not be worth it.

The other factor that has to be in the mix is strength. No use having an ultralight build if it doesn't hold up.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:02 pm

matanshapira wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:52 pm
TomW wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:29 pm
On one hand you say there is no benefit in going shorter than 110 and on the other hand you say that 500g is noticeable. There's a weight saving in 15cm shorter board, right?
Yes, that's true. But my 90 cm board is not 500g lighter than my 110cm. More like 250g.

What I'm trying to say is that if you can choose between a board of same length, pick the lighter one. A 2kg board will be more agile than a 2,5 of same length.

My 90cm is not noticeably more agile than the 105cm. My 110 is a bit nose heavy, the center of mass is 5 cm more forward than the 105, due to shape and construction difference, but still not really different than the 105. The 105-110 are easier to use on water, so the 90cm is not being used. ( I built it as a travel board).
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:12 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:10 pm

Looking at those boards, an considering my experience building 5 foilboards, riding them, 3 years on foil.
I'd get the Kahana shapes Mario macho Amarilla
https://www.kanahashapes.com/product-pa ... 2-amarilla
850 usd.
The narrower nose is good idea, I'm doing that now. I think noses can be even narrower...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:26 am

Depends where the mass/weight is...?

I just got a 127x48 Axis Surf Foil board and it's shaped like a surfboard, so the widest part of the board is just behind the front straps. Huge difference in feel compared to a "long nose" board...
1F312959-BAE0-4087-8986-E9B37046E087.jpeg

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:45 am

TomW wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:10 pm
Snip...
The narrower nose is good idea, I'm doing that now. I think noses can be even narrower...

Hmmm, why?

Of course it could be aesthetically beautiful if it looks like a surfboard or windsurf board, but thats it as I see it.
These boards use the full rails sometimes, when carving, so the rails and nose are essential in their design.

I would say the opposite for kitefoils, make the nose wider instead, and aggressive nose rocker (scoop) at the very front.

Look at hard carving hydrofoil pictures, it is not the nose that catches first :wink:

This way you can have an even shorter board (for travel or car purposes) that feels bigger and easier in touchdowns or waves, and not as pointy if it hits you.

8) Peter

alowishus
Medium Poster
Gear: ozone airush slingshot moses

Postby alowishus » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:34 am

Any metrics commonly used to describe foilboard rocker instead of aesthetics (what I mostly look at tbh!)

Would be different to a SB of course. I’ve seen (images of) pocket boards with none, continuous, 2 and 3 stage rocker. My DC being relatively thick with concave deck incorporates the almost all the rocker within the board thickness.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:49 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:45 am
TomW wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:10 pm
Snip...

Hmmm, why?

Of course it could be aesthetically beautiful if it looks like a surfboard or windsurf board, but thats it as I see it.
These boards use the full rails sometimes, when carving, so the rails and nose are essential in their design.

I would say the opposite for kitefoils, make the nose wider instead, and aggressive nose rocker (scoop) at the very front.

Look at hard carving hydrofoil pictures, it is not the nose that catches first :wink:

This way you can have an even shorter board (for travel or car purposes) that feels bigger and easier in touchdowns or waves, and not as pointy if it hits you.

8) Peter
Because that width ahead of your front foot *is* the first bit that hits the water, which tends to drag into the water. The narrow nose on the Surf Carrot doesn't do that, and is better for hitting chop at an angle. This is the first part of the carve, especially toeside into the face and especially with a short mast when the board is close to the water. The hard-carving photos you mention are probably after that particular phase of the turn and it doesn't matter at all.

And as I said, you can have more volume to the board and the mass isn't way ahead of the mast, so you don't feel it as much.

What I don't get is why people want such narrow tails on a foil board...I'd rather have the real estate to move my foot around.

Return to “Hydrofoil”