Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Unboxing: Moses Aluminium Foil Kit

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Unboxing: Moses Aluminium Foil Kit

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:11 pm

Have just switched from an aluminum mast to a carbon and compared the two subjectively. The length and chord of my Zeeko aluminum mast and Lift carbon are almost exactly the same. The Carbon mast is a tiny bit thinner profile. The aluminum is much stiffer with respect to torsion. I chalked it up to the new foil being a wave foil from a company that doesn't make race gear, but then this morning at the launch with a crew of racers they were checking out my new foil and had a chance to compare to their up to date race foils, both Levitaz and Taaroa. Was pretty surprised to see that both the race masts were not as stiff as my Lift. We put that down to the fact the race foils are 110cm and have a much smaller chord down by the fuse end, where my mast is only 82cm with a larger average chord. Still kind of a surprise. Those were modern race foils, i.e. not lacking in performance!

Bottom line is that at least some,( I would imagine most ) alloy masts are plenty stiff enough for the type of riding for which they're intended. There are moments when riding upright that I have felt my Lift mast do a slight wobble. Nothing major and I have read others post about it with their carbon masts, but with my prior experience being only on aluminum, I had no idea what they were talking about. Now I know. It's not really an issue for the type of riding I do, but I've definitely felt it.

Torsion was the only noticeable difference subjectively, and I was surprised how easy it was to appreciate the difference just torquing the fuse with the boards upside down on the ground.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:05 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:11 pm
Have just switched from an aluminum mast to a carbon and compared the two subjectively. The length and chord of my Zeeko aluminum mast and Lift carbon are almost exactly the same. The Carbon mast is a tiny bit thinner profile. The aluminum is much stiffer with respect to torsion. I chalked it up to the new foil being a wave foil from a company that doesn't make race gear, but then this morning at the launch with a crew of racers they were checking out my new foil and had a chance to compare to their up to date race foils, both Levitaz and Taaroa. Was pretty surprised to see that both the race masts were not as stiff as my Lift. We put that down to the fact the race foils are 110cm and have a much smaller chord down by the fuse end, where my mast is only 82cm with a larger average chord. Still kind of a surprise. Those were modern race foils, i.e. not lacking in performance!

Bottom line is that at least some,( I would imagine most ) alloy masts are plenty stiff enough for the type of riding for which they're intended. There are moments when riding upright that I have felt my Lift mast do a slight wobble. Nothing major and I have read others post about it with their carbon masts, but with my prior experience being only on aluminum, I had no idea what they were talking about. Now I know. It's not really an issue for the type of riding I do, but I've definitely felt it.

Torsion was the only noticeable difference subjectively, and I was surprised how easy it was to appreciate the difference just torquing the fuse with the boards upside down on the ground.
I had the same experience. My carbon LP mast is 100cm & has a smaller chord & is thinner down by the fuselage - that's where the carbon strut can be "twisted" a little. Not sure if the flexing of the foil is actually a negative though.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:12 pm

Any update Gunnar? Anyone else able to do a comparison between the Onda 71/91 & the Alu 75 Onda?

eric_ts
Rare Poster
Local Beach: lago di como,lake como,walensee,sihlsee,lago di resia
Favorite Beaches: Blouberg Strand (ZA), Mauritius Lagoon, Raglan Beach (NZ),Orewa (NZ)
Style: freeride and foil freeride
Gear: Core XR4 8,10,13.5
Flysurfer Sonic2 11+15;Soul 21
Nobile Zen Foil ,Nobile NHP
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby eric_ts » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:28 pm

Any news or announcement about a loner alu mast from moses ?

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:08 am

I haven't heard any news, but surely Moses would be losing market opportunities not to offer an aluminium mast in various sizes!?

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:10 pm

I think they do it on purpose they don't want to hurt the sales of their high end carbon foil so they restrict people to 75cm on the Alu version. After foiling for a few years I find that 90cm is perfect for me. So I bought the 633 wing made my own fuselage mounted it to one of my 90cm mast and it's been a blast. Too bad for Moses I guess the slingshot mast adapter will keep selling for a while.

Return to “Videos”