naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: Gin Marabou Water Relaunchable Single Skin

Postby naishdude » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:25 am

@Regis,
Can you try with a low V powerline bar next time, my friend had the same problem, he changed his bar for a deepV and he claimed it was a world of difference.
We had the same problem with a guy with a flysurfer sonic, he had a Core bar on it, Y.
I gave him my Ozone bar with V and the kite flew as expected.
Maybe its worth a try
Cheers Dude :cool2:

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:18 pm

Why not. It was not my kite, but i think I remember it was the "original bar", but i am not sure.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:55 pm

naishdude wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:25 am
@Regis,
Can you try with a low V powerline bar next time, my friend had the same problem, he changed his bar for a deepV and he claimed it was a world of difference.
We had the same problem with a guy with a flysurfer sonic, he had a Core bar on it, Y. ...
Not sure if I get the point:
In the video we see Regis riding with V powerlines, don't we? Which apart from the colors looks pretty much like the original one.

Apart from that in contrast to a free race kite like the sonic with huge span, for low span and especially single skin kites, it just doesn't matter how high the Y is, as the angle between both powerlines will always be small an therefore even smaller their differences using different Y highes and overall line lenght.
Don't know measurments of core bar, but possible that in combination with a sonic you come into the range where the V part of the Y starts to be to short.

I have flown sonics in 6 and 9 m² and a 15 m² Chrono with V lines down to 12 m lines, where you start to feel the effect (already at around 14 m) of the tips being pulled to much towards centre of kite, causing them to collapse more often. But as said this problem is so much smaller on a low AR single skin that it practicaly doesn't exist. With most single skins it will even be possible to ride without flying lines, check gunnars video with the ozone single skin.
Apart from the more complex view on line wear in the after loop line crossing point, my actual recomendation for all hydrofoilers using foils build for V is to ride a low Y with 2-4 m for the lower mean line.
Beside the named wear you will profit from much lower risk to hang the hydrofoil into the Y of the lines as it is just to far away. And as long you are not riding much less then around 17 m in total, you won't see any relevant effects.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:41 am

Horst Sergio wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:55 pm
naishdude wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:25 am
@Regis,
We had the same problem with a guy with a flysurfer sonic, he had a Core bar on it, Y. ...
Not sure if I get the point:
In the video we see Regis riding with V powerlines, don't we? Which apart from the colors looks pretty much like the original one.

Apart from that in contrast to a free race kite like the sonic with huge span, for low span and especially single skin kites, it just doesn't matter how high the Y is, as the angle between both powerlines will always be small an therefore even smaller their differences using different Y highes and overall line lenght.
Don't know measurments of core bar, but possible that in combination with a sonic you come into the range where the V part of the Y starts to be to short.

I have flown sonics in 6 and 9 m² and a 15 m² Chrono with V lines down to 12 m lines, where you start to feel the effect (already at around 14 m) of the tips being pulled to much towards centre of kite, causing them to collapse more often. But as said this problem is so much smaller on a low AR single skin that it practicaly doesn't exist. With most single skins it will even be possible to ride without flying lines, check gunnars video with the ozone single skin.
Apart from the more complex view on line wear in the after loop line crossing point, my actual recomendation for all hydrofoilers using foils build for V is to ride a low Y with 2-4 m for the lower mean line.
Beside the named wear you will profit from much lower risk to hang the hydrofoil into the Y of the lines as it is just to far away. And as long you are not riding much less then around 17 m in total, you won't see any relevant effects.
I'm not as professional as you are, it was just an observation, as the bar used in the video looked like it had a Y frontline, this together with my friends experience made me put the comment, l can understand the span width of a Sonic will react differently than the spanwidth of the Gin kite...
But still worth a try if the video showed a Y setup😉🤗
Cheers

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:14 pm

I'm loving the 6m of this kite. Such an easy kite to fly at the low end of it's range. Foiling down to 10mph of wind isn't a problem (Lift 170f, 155lbs) with 25m lines. I'll try 21m lines next time.

It is such a pleasure to have confidence in the kite not luffing off, wadding up, falling to the water in the lulls or shifts of the wind. I often fly a bit inland from the open ocean, and shifts of wind speed/direction happen often. I can tell these events are happening in the wind as I fly the Marabou, but the kite stays up. Other kites would fall, hindenburg, luff off, or maybe even invert, in the same conditions. Due to wind changes, the kite has never hit the water. I'd even say these are as stable as twinskins, and that is saying alot. Just not as much depower.

And the downwind is amazing. Foiling almost straight downwind. Can't wait to find a open ocean swell without seaweed...

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:32 am

I just tried Marabou 9m in gusty wind averaging around 10m/s, on a twintip, I would say very powered and sometimes even a bit overpowered conditions for this size (my first session with Marabou, I am about 75kg). A pretty sweet and gentle kite, no sudden strong pulls, very gradual and predictable power delivery. Very nice power-on-demand within bar's throw. When fully depowered the trailing edge flutters but that does not seem to affect kite's performance. The kite relaunches from water but it was not instant and totally easy in waves, the cloth was wet and seemed to stick to the water, took me about a minute to get the kite back up in the sky (but that is probably my lack of experience with this kite). Very nice for riding waves, depower the kite and almost forget it is there. Going upwind was easy too. The kite turns much slower than a 9m wave kite but is quite lively for a foil kite.

Return to “Foil Kites”