A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Small pocket board - looking for recommendation/advice

Postby merl » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:06 pm

There is some info on the oase forums about the Anton board. Sounds plenty stiff. Closer to 2kg in the 1m size I think someone said. http://surfforum.oase.com/showthread.php?p=1350934

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses

Postby PurdyKiter » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:52 pm

slowboat wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:34 pm
matanshapira wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:05 pm
slowboat wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:01 pm
The KS 37 is the best free ride board currently available. (based on my experience with and everything I have read).
Do you think a larger board is needed in the quiver for 8-10 knots sessions? (Cloud 10.4)
Depends on the wing. With the Impulse, probably not. Once you ride the KS, you are never going to want to ride a larger board....seriously.
FYI, One thing noteworthy is that the Kanaha Shapes boards riding a Moses 633/Onda carbon mast will %100 lay on it's side after your crash. It's a bit odd how this then departs the scene a la twin-tip..... requiring agressive body-dragging to recover the board. See Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_rXSE1U0ho

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:55 pm

it has almost nothing to do with board and all to do with foil
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post (total 2):
matanshapira (Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:10 pm) • PurdyKiter (Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:13 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

matanshapira
Medium Poster

Postby matanshapira » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:12 pm

tomtom wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:55 pm
it has almost nothing to do with board and all to do with foil
Yeah, light foil won't rotate the board, heavier one is more likely to rotate it

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:38 pm

Are the rails on the Anton abs and built like a snowboard?

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:34 am

Have a look at these. Right construction at a great price.

https://thecarbonco.net
These users thanked the author PrfctChaos for the post:
The_Bin_Chook (Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:32 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:48 am

slowboat wrote:
matanshapira wrote:
slowboat wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:01 pm
The KS 37 is the best free ride board currently available. (based on my experience with and everything I have read).

Do you think a larger board is needed in the quiver for 8-10 knots sessions? (Cloud 10.4)

Depends on the wing. With the Impulse, probably not. Once you ride the KS, you are never going to want to ride a larger board....seriously.

Hi - as slowboat and others know, I disagree a lot with this.

A larger board is not needed in 8-10 knots, if no lulls and you are full powered with a big wing and the right kite.

But a larger board makes a he.. of a difference in terms of how low you can go in lulls or low end, and everything gets easier when you have to waterstart, no matter how big your wing is, and especially in terms of "surviving" if the wind drops and you have to loop yourself ashore.

Apart from the much bigger risk of dropping the kite in this wind, so you want something nice to sit on when you drift ashore :thumb:

If you only want the smallest possible board that you still feel works, then that is perfect of course :D
Also, some like having only one board, for obvious reasons, cheaper, takes up less space, less decisions etc.

Just be aware, you get a huge benefit from a bigger board down in low winds, also with really big wings - not to be underestimated IMO and experience.

I got many boards and sizes, and if above wasnt the case, why should I use nothing but the smallest (or next smallest) board?

But I do, with major benefits when below 10 knots, so much faster to start, and a lot more range :rollgrin:

Above comments are in general, and the Kanaha 37 is only 94 centimers long, extremely short, but very wide so quite "big" in this respect and I think it would fit you spot on as a small board indeed, but would still have in mind you could also have a bigger board for low winds or changing winds.

8) Peter

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:20 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:48 am
slowboat wrote:
matanshapira wrote:

Hi - as slowboat and others know, I disagree a lot with this.

A larger board is not needed in 8-10 knots, if no lulls and you are full powered with a big wing and the right kite.

But a larger board makes a he.. of a difference in terms of how low you can go in lulls or low end, and everything gets easier when you have to waterstart, no matter how big your wing is, and especially in terms of "surviving" if the wind drops and you have to loop yourself ashore.

Apart from the much bigger risk of dropping the kite in this wind, so you want something nice to sit on when you drift ashore :thumb:

If you only want the smallest possible board that you still feel works, then that is perfect of course :D
Also, some like having only one board, for obvious reasons, cheaper, takes up less space, less decisions etc.

Just be aware, you get a huge benefit from a bigger board down in low winds, also with really big wings - not to be underestimated IMO and experience.

I got many boards and sizes, and if above wasnt the case, why should I use nothing but the smallest (or next smallest) board?

But I do, with major benefits when below 10 knots, so much faster to start, and a lot more range :rollgrin:

Above comments are in general, and the Kanaha 37 is only 94 centimers long, extremely short, but very wide so quite "big" in this respect and I think it would fit you spot on as a small board indeed, but would still have in mind you could also have a bigger board for low winds or changing winds.

8) Peter
Yes, this has been discussed a lot before. Peter is correct in many of his points from a THEORETICAL point of view. But practically speaking, a big board is just not going to be used that much if you have a big foil. If you are out on your KS37 in 8-10 knots and a hull of 4-5 knots hits, would it be better to have a large board. Yes, but you can't switch boards out in the water. So are you always going to use a big board because you fear the potential lulls? No. And remember, the original question was 8-10 knots.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:27 pm

PrfctChaos wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:34 am
Have a look at these. Right construction at a great price.

https://thecarbonco.net
anyone actually try one of these?
(or the Pro Macho 33?)

it looks like thecarbonco can make can also make custom 33 inch foilboards (with or without straps)

also, looks the costs is $650 AUD. (less than $450 USD) not including shipping

//interesting

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:03 pm

Australian based, so you might be best off asking on seabreaze mate.

Here is a picture of a pointy (sharper nose) board from the "small low volume foil board" seabrease thread.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5m8xhsqv9mshb ... 3.jpg?dl=0

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kit ... ard?page=1
These users thanked the author PrfctChaos for the post:
dave1986 (Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”