Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza
Gear: F-One Bandit V 9m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2019 Watches

Postby ldmelo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:13 pm

I have been using jmg-app on my garmin and I noticed some improvements lately. Now the app shows the jump height during the session. You check it after landing. (it was there before, but was not working).

I don't know how accurate are the values, but apparently they make sense. I will try to compare it with a woo someday.

ar
Rare Poster
Local Beach: fl
Has thanked: 0

Postby ar » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:46 pm

alunj wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:33 pm
I’ve a few hundred sessions on the Apple Watch
Tracking and heart rate work fine . No issues with water ingress . Sessions is a fun app but I tend to use other apps for tracking . In sept I changed for the 4 with cellular for safety’s sake. So far so awesome . Made a few test calls to the wife to see what the quality is like all good . Just nice to know I have some way of getting in touch with emergency services .

Curious as to which apps you use.
I just got an AW4, but not thrilled with sessions. Had a Fenix 3 for the last few years.
Thanks for the info.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:52 am

I've got about 60 sessions on an Apple Watch 4, but only about 20 on this one... Do not trust the sport band, mine came unclasped on a particularly hard impact with the water an is now at the bottom of the Agean sea. I switched to the sport loop ( not the band) and that has saved me a few more times.

Overall, I've loved it, I use Strava to track kite sessions ( the only app that has a drop down for kitesmthat I've found). Haven't had any issues with using it in the water under higher impact.

Has anyone found a way to access a wind forecast on the apple watch?

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:30 am

I have been using my Apple Watch 4 for over a hundred sessions. All good. Velcro band. Wash in fresh water.

dice
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID

Postby dice » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:37 pm

I bought myself a cheap band from spigen that won't get loose.
And I keep my watch a bit further onto my arm than usual, together with my wetsuit I hope that's enough to keep it away from high impact water pressure.

For now I'm using the app 'waterspeed' to track my trips. And so far it's working nice.

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:36 am

I use the Apple Watch 4 and bought the Catalyst case for it. Looks quite sturdy, however have to say that once I put on my wetsult over it (pretty tight arms) and the spring failed :o . It was a prolonged tug but still.

I got a free replacement which was nice. I have taken it off because it's so big and won't fit under my business shirts' cuff. Unfortunately I still work more than I kite :(

Nice to see people have had no issues with the watch wearing it under the wetsuit. Might do that in the future.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:44 pm

Can't comment about any specific kite apps as I haven't gotten around to searching for them yet, but I've been using my Samsung Galaxy watch in the water for about 6 months now and no problems, even crashing a bit. It's come in handy for me to get wind alerts and phone calls when I'm on the water teaching (well, except for the interruptions) for hours at a time. Looking forward to finding an app that will at least do GPS tracking, but would love some height measuring.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:20 pm

I had an Ambit3 - but too much tech for me.... not a cheaper alternative, but I prefer my Seiko Prospex Darth Tuna any day

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:21 pm

Not the latest (perhaps the greatest?) the Locosys GW-60 and the Motion GPS are the only 5 Hz (5 fixes/second) watch, and as far as I know the only ones that don't require being connected to internet to download the track to the computer for analysis, which for me is GPS Action Replay. Details here:
https://www.gps-speedsurfing.com/defaul ... &item=gw60
http://shop.gps-speedsurfing.com/motion-gps this one logs @ 10 Hz (my next watch!)
viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2395866
http://www.nautikites.net/blog/index.ph ... 905-145635
keegster17 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:26 pm
What is the latest and greatest Kitesurfing watches? I had the Suunto Ambit 3, nice looking, but did not like the website or apps, or even support. Looking for something new.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:20 am

Apple watch 4 w/cellular and the Carterjett band (NATO style clasp is super secure). Sessions app is excellent for surf and kiting. Cellular is great for downwinders and keeping in touch with the significant other

I've done >50 sessions both surf and kite with this watch, no case, and it's awesome.

No app yet for wind, everyone please email IKitesurf and tell them to make an app for the apple watch, it would be incredible!

Return to “Kitesurfing”