North Orbit - iksurfmag review

Forum for kitesurfers
kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

North Orbit - iksurfmag review

Postby kjorn » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:23 pm

https://www.iksurfmag.com/reviews/kites ... t-9m-2020/

starts with the usual hype - best kite the reviewer has ever tested etc etc, but then we get:
At the top of the wind range and when the kite is fully loaded against the edge, we found it a little too easy to over depower the kite slackening the rear lines which in turn causes the wingtips to become unstable. Adding more air pressure when inflating the kite, especially in the small sizes, helped a little, but this is a kite that likes to have backline tension at all times to stay stable in the air.

Ouch. Unstable top end on a big air kite. No thank you. I don't want any kite shenanygans when I'm edging through a gusty squall.

This review reminds me of the Waroo version 1 - it likes back line tension otherwise those wing tips flap around.

Anyone tried the Orbit? iksurfmag got it all wrong?

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Re: North Orbit - iksurfmag less than glowing review

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:30 pm

How would you 'over depower the kite' when fully loaded against the edge?

I've seen footage of kites with wiggly wing tips when edged hard. But thats when they are fully trimmed in rather than fully trimmed out.

luca
Frequent Poster

Postby luca » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:28 pm

any1 with good skills had tested the orbit?

PNWKiter
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha/Duotone/Slingshot
Has thanked: 0

Postby PNWKiter » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:13 pm

I had the opportunity to try this kite at AWSI in Hood River this past week. Maybe I had set my expectations too high, but I was expecting a rock solid boosting kite like the Cabrinha Switchblade or Duotone Rebel. Instead I experienced a kite with very light bar pressure and an unstable feel in the unruly Gorge winds. The kite did loop quickly though... Most of the feedback on the beach was that the new North kites have a tendency to backstall in the lulls and have stability issues in the gusts, the wave kite they have was nearly un-flyable. The freestyle kite they would not even let people test... There was a youtube video of these flying characteristics shown at a demo in the UK, but it appears it has been deleted.
These users thanked the author PNWKiter for the post (total 2):
Leon van Bergen (Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:39 pm) • Sgallian (Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:41 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:29 pm

The designer from cabrinha probably had his designs compromised because they didn't want them too much like his last designs for Cab.....just saying compromise usually leads to mediocrity.... just a hunch..

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:24 am

matth wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:29 pm
The designer from cabrinha probably had his designs compromised because they didn't want them too much like his last designs for Cab.....just saying compromise usually leads to mediocrity.... just a hunch..
This link was posted in another thread: Pat Goodman ex Cab designer talks about the designs. Sounds like he is pushing each design to the max.

It's amazing that Jesse Richman did so well on a kite that he'd only flown for a week. I bet he's gutted he couldn't ride a Torch.

Another video of the new North kites

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:20 am

imho, duotone is looking like the smart one here and new north kind of reaching. the north brand is obviously recognizable and full of past glory, (built on duotone's, aka boards & more, hard work in the past, but now north seems like a ghost of its former self.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:56 am

matth wrote:
Couldn´t you just as well said they now got the opportunity to get rid of flaws in the old design by starting fresh? Always a balance between how far you can improve on an old design vs. the uncertainty of building something completely new.

I would say that is more likely when designing something that you come up with something better. Especially when you got the experience these guys got. If it is a kite, car or whatever - even if the first version often needs tweaking. No pulleys for example could become rather interesting.
alford wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:20 am
imho, duotone is looking like the smart one here and new north kind of reaching. the north brand is obviously recognizable and full of past glory, (built on duotone's, aka boards & more, hard work in the past, but now north seems like a ghost of its former self.
Based on this review? North is not trying to be its former self - isn´t that the point?

Will be interesting to see how it develops.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:17 am

kjorn wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:24 am
matth wrote:
This link was posted in another thread: Pat Goodman ex Cab designer talks about the designs. Sounds like he is pushing each design to the max.

It's amazing that Jesse Richman did so well on a kite that he'd only flown for a week. I bet he's gutted he couldn't ride a Torch.
20:03 no interview is complete without the obligatory mini deathloop and hot launch in the background :lol:
Last edited by sarc on Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:44 am

I guess the answer is get one size down in the first gen. I think IKmag say that in the review of the Carve.

The V1 Ozone Reo was similar, unstable in gusty conditions, large DW haul at 12, and a tendency to stall if your daydreaming on the bar.

Carve, watch in double speed the slo-mo is not help-full.

Return to “Kitesurfing”