Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Eardrum injury any significant risk

Forum for kitesurfers
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Eardrum injury any significant risk

Postby Herman » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:43 am

When I used to water ski I seem to recall there was a fair amount of talk about ear drum injury, basically smacking the side of your head on the water hard enough to to pressurise or blow out the eardrum during a crash. In fact, ear protection was the main reason I chose to wear a close fitting helmet when I first started kitesurfing, coupled with the fact it is often cold where I ride and it is nice to have the warmth.

In my view, helmets are a personal choice, and I am happy, but surprised, to say I have never heard of anyone injuring an eardrum kiting. (There is a joke in there somewhere!)

I am just curious to know if anybody has any actual feedback on the eardrum injury risk associated with kitesurfing?
Last edited by Herman on Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Re: Eardrum injury any significant risk

Postby HALF » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:14 am

I am not sure about eardrum rupturing, however some big waves can hit you hard sometimes and it does hurt.
Then there is the issue with surfers ear, the water and wind will cause the ear canal to close with time(and the fix is an unpleasant operation that cuts parts of the growing bone), and to avoid it its good to have some protection (I use a hat that covers the ears, and sometimes https://surfears.com/ earplugs).

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:50 am

I'm sure it is a risk. Surfer's ear I'm not so sure about, once you have the basics you don't spend much time in the water, and as you improve your technique your head is usually out of the water even landing.
Helmets for protecting against head injury do cut off a little awareness and are more useful for takeoffs, landings and crowded conditions.. which you should avoid anywhere. If you do crash enough to need a helmet, you should already be wearing an impact vest.
For my safety, I wear an impact vest and a harness I modified to be sliding and seat style. a harness being dragged high over the ribs seems to be the most common injury I'm aware of. Seat harness is a little irritating at first but easy enough to get used to in time.
And jumping next to the shore. Very impressive for onlookers, but so many things can go so very badly wrong.

Kiwibayer
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Kiwibayer » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:59 am

Sure it is. I blew mine out completely a few years back and so did Marc Jacobs and quite a few others I know off.
These users thanked the author Kiwibayer for the post:
Herman (Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:31 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:25 am

Sorry to hear that, kiwibayer, hope you and the other guys are ok now. I know I have face planted so hard that I kept my eyes shut until I was sure I had not burst an eyeball, fortunately it was just a stinger.

Seems strange I have never seen it talked about before. I am now thinking ignorance may be bliss.

Thank you and everybody else for their input Regards Herman.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:33 pm

Quite a few of us just use ear plugs. Cheapy ones. Personally, I cut a plug in 3 pieces, works for me.

Helmet will not protect you from bacteria going in due to bad water.
Or just water is enough to get the ear infection which is ten times worse with hole in a drum.

D.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:10 pm

broken them a bunch of times both wakeboarding and kiting, my eardrums are wrecked. I have to wear ear protection now every sesh. All it takes is one good hit on the side. You don't crash as hard kiting as wakeboarding but we ride longer so the risk is about the same. helmets definitely protect the ears and even help with surfer's ear. If you wear an mp3 player on the water that's actually good to protect the ears too. I know there are no real studies out there but take it from me personal experience anything you have covering the ear either in the ear or over it is going to protect you and it does work.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:27 pm

There are cheap lycra bandannas that cyclists use to cover their head or neck. I roll over my hears they offer just the right protection both surfer's ear (I have it but not so bad) and eardrum rupture (my friend was out of the water for a few weeks).

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:25 pm

No debate. Should always wear a helmet that protects your ears as well. It just makes sense right!

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:38 am

^
That is very dismissive. Are you MattV?

Here is a thought for you, the standard snowboarding helmet is about halfa kilo. Your head is about 3-4 kg. That is how much increase?
Further more, if u are like 100kg guy, than the neck strength is not in the same league as 55kg person. The weight is still about 400-450 grams.

Now, which helmet u using? :naughty:

And than the environment. Which one is it? A Tropical, Arctic, which one?

And the list goes on...

Return to “Kitesurfing”