Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Forum for kitesurfers
szert
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Camber Sands / Lancing / Southend, UK
Gear: RRD Passion MKX 2019 15m | Ozone Enduro V3 12m | Airush DNA 9m | Slingshot Rally 7m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby szert » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:11 pm

MaximumAC wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:27 pm
UV eye drops? Sounds like BS to me. Eye drops don’t exactly coat the eye for more than a few minutes. Link?
indeed, that's why I'm asking.
i only found this paper:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9704331/

and this product:
https://loretogallo.com/uk/alpha-protec ... 5ea7f435ab

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby JakeFarley » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:41 pm

The paper stated:
DISCUSSION: The transmission spectrum of the eye drops under realistic conditions does not show a protective effect against solar UV radiation. However, there exists reduction of UVC radiation in the spectral range typical of artificial UV sources such as arc-welding. We cannot recommend the application of these eye drops as an UV-protective aid against eye damage by solar UV radiation.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:01 pm

i believe someone in these 20+ pages....wrote they dont like polar glasses 'cause the cant see the waves (or something)

opposite side of that.. if you foil...polar lens do help in terms of seeing reefs better (and whatever else may be below surface)...so you can adjust your height accordingly.

MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Soul and Sonics; SAB 679/800 and Mikes Lab Bullet 5

Postby MaximumAC » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:30 pm

szert wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:11 pm
MaximumAC wrote:
UV eye drops? Sounds like BS to me. Eye drops don’t exactly coat the eye for more than a few minutes. Link?
i only found this paper:

and this product:
Yup, snake oil. Use glasses

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:20 pm

MaximumAC wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:30 pm
szert wrote:
MaximumAC wrote:
i only found this paper:

and this product:
So what is in those drops? Not like there's nothing in the ocean that is bad for me, but any liver or kidney toxicity to the ingredients? Any long term effects on the eye? It just seems like I dont need a drug to do what sunglasses do.

On top of that, this stuff is really for welding? Apparently the inventor is not aware that splatter from the arc can kind of just burn right through your eye. So for kiting or any other use, there seems to be a inherent benefit to a physical barrier in front of your eyes.

Is there any real reason to find an alternative to sunglasses? My eyes ain't that pretty that I need to show them off out on the water.

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:30 pm

elguapo wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:01 pm
i believe someone in these 20+ pages....wrote they dont like polar glasses 'cause the cant see the waves (or something)

opposite side of that.. if you foil...polar lens do help in terms of seeing reefs better (and whatever else may be below surface)...so you can adjust your height accordingly.
Polarized lenses reduce surface contrast, thus allowing you to see through the waters surface. This is not detrimental if you kite flat water or hydrofoil. It is detrimental when you use surface features to ride or as ramps, and when you need to avoid/read chop when setting up for a jump.

MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Soul and Sonics; SAB 679/800 and Mikes Lab Bullet 5

Postby MaximumAC » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:53 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:20 pm
MaximumAC wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:30 pm
szert wrote:

i only found this paper:

and this product:
So what is in those drops? Not like there's nothing in the ocean that is bad for me, but any liver or kidney toxicity to the ingredients? Any long term effects on the eye? It just seems like I dont need a drug to do what sunglasses do.

On top of that, this stuff is really for welding? Apparently the inventor is not aware that splatter from the arc can kind of just burn right through your eye. So for kiting or any other use, there seems to be a inherent benefit to a physical barrier in front of your eyes.

Is there any real reason to find an alternative to sunglasses? My eyes ain't that pretty that I need to show them off out on the water.
Apparently 8-hydroxy-1-methylchinolinium methylsulphate. No idea what that is, but it seems that it's meant to be a true physical barrier to absorption of UVA/B/C. Obviously tear film retention time is problematic. There is no point in trying something like this over glasses.

This is an interesting article however. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3919670/; using ECGC to ameliorate the damage via antioxidant. Still seems silly to me to ameliorate when you can completely prevent via sunglasses.

This might be an interesting question one day, but for now it's pointless. Wear sunglasses unless it's preventing you from kiting safely on that particular day. Eyedrops and corneal damage aside, it's still saving you from eyelid cancer.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:06 pm

Matteo V wrote:
this stuff is really for welding?
Apparently the inventor is not aware that splatter from the arc can kind of just burn right through your eye.
Seem safe !!

szert
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Camber Sands / Lancing / Southend, UK
Gear: RRD Passion MKX 2019 15m | Ozone Enduro V3 12m | Airush DNA 9m | Slingshot Rally 7m

Postby szert » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:14 am

Matteo V wrote:
I just keep losing them. It can be hard to find them even if they float, sometimes I even struggle to spot my board in big waves :)
I've seen people attaching sunglasses to their hats. Any other tip?

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:29 am

szert wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:14 am
Matteo V wrote:
I just keep losing them. It can be hard to find them even if they float, sometimes I even struggle to spot my board in big waves :)
I've seen people attaching sunglasses to their hats. Any other tip?
Lip sunglasses have a necklace retention system that is very robust.
These users thanked the author slowboat for the post:
szert (Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:57 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”