Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Forum for kitesurfers
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby purdyd » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:37 am

szert wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:14 am
Matteo V wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:20 pm
Is there any real reason to find an alternative to sunglasses? My eyes ain't that pretty that I need to show them off out on the water.
I just keep losing them. It can be hard to find them even if they float, sometimes I even struggle to spot my board in big waves :)
I've seen people attaching sunglasses to their hats. Any other tip?
Use croakies or a strap and wear them under a hat or helmet with a chin strap.

Something like a dakine surf hat.

https://www.amazon.com/Dakine-08660102- ... ZPBZYVSF2Z

I’ve also started wearing a buff to cover my neck and ears and wear the glasses under that.

The hat will keep the glasses from coming off.
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post:
szert (Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:57 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby Matteo V » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:16 pm

szert wrote:
Matteo V wrote:
Is there any real reason to find an alternative to sunglasses? My eyes ain't that pretty that I need to show them off out on the water.
I just keep losing them. It can be hard to find them even if they float, sometimes I even struggle to spot my board in big waves :)
I use these in CL 112 for sunny days and CL 119 for rainy or heavy overcast days.

Here is my simple and cheap trick for retention:

1. Buy a bit of 1/8" shock cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078NGRF46/re ... UTF8&psc=1 Make a 1/8" hand drill (piece heat a 1/8" drill and push it into an undersized hole in some plastic) and buy a small pair of needle nose pliers.

2. Use the hand drill to drill out the indentation in the ear piece ends

3. Chamfer the hole with the end of the drill bit so there are no sharp bits of plastic sticking up

4. Fray the end of some of the shock cord sheath, then push that frayed end into the hole.

5. Use the needle nose pliers to pull the shock cord into the hole from the outside of one hole and push in to the inside of the other hole.

6. Knot the loose end, then check for fit (I prefer a tad loose - tight will not be comfortable), then knot the other end and cut off the excess.

Since the 1/8" shock cord has a bigger actual outside diameter than 1/8" the shock cord is adjustable to some degree. But a wearing helmet ensures 100% retention.

I would think that this could work on any pair of safety glasses with enough thickness to support a 1/8" hole in the ear piece end.

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Postby CaptainCore » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:08 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:16 pm
szert wrote:
Matteo V wrote:
I use these in CL 112 for sunny days and CL 119 for rainy or heavy overcast days.

Here is my simple and cheap trick for retention:

1. Buy a bit of 1/8" shock cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078NGRF46/re ... UTF8&psc=1 Make a 1/8" hand drill (piece heat a 1/8" drill and push it into an undersized hole in some plastic) and buy a small pair of needle nose pliers.

2. Use the hand drill to drill out the indentation in the ear piece ends

3. Chamfer the hole with the end of the drill bit so there are no sharp bits of plastic sticking up

4. Fray the end of some of the shock cord sheath, then push that frayed end into the hole.

5. Use the needle nose pliers to pull the shock cord into the hole from the outside of one hole and push in to the inside of the other hole.

6. Knot the loose end, then check for fit (I prefer a tad loose - tight will not be comfortable), then knot the other end and cut off the excess.

Since the 1/8" shock cord has a bigger actual outside diameter than 1/8" the shock cord is adjustable to some degree. But a wearing helmet ensures 100% retention.

I would think that this could work on any pair of safety glasses with enough thickness to support a 1/8" hole in the ear piece end.
This has to be the absolute new level in lame from our anti style icon..

Somebody purrrleeeze send for the fashion police.. This has got to have gone from misdemeanor to felony..

I'd say fully worthy of 'the chair' to use the colloquial vernacula of his countrymen. :lol:

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:17 pm

:coolshades: :coolshades:
Last edited by PullStrings on Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:18 pm

szert wrote:
Been doing this for 20 years
Never lost a pair
Always able to retrieve them in huge wipe outs
Works with ElCheapo or High end $200+ shades

I use my waist harness to attach to
Will work also with seat harness
All you need to buy is a pair of dress shoe laces that have the stiff plastic tip
Buy also a Croakies Terra Max cord retainer that will fit tight over the temples ends
Some Croakies have click on click off ends with those I suggest to epoxy them fixed so they become one solid piece

With a sharp nail poke a small hole right through the center top of your harness the size of the shoe lace tip 1/2 an inch below top
Thread shoe lace through hole and secure with bowline knot then cut off the plastic piece and with a lighter flame melt the end a bit

You won't need long about 12 inches of that shoe lace depending on harness of course to attach with a bowline to the loop end of retainer
Put harness on with sunglasses on completely attached to test the final length make sure not too tight and that you can bend all the way down
When all done cut the excess shoe lace and burn away the end

After each session I remove them from retainer to wash them good so they are ready for next session

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:59 am

CaptainCore wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:08 pm
This has to be the absolute new level in lame from our anti style icon..

Somebody purrrleeeze send for the fashion police.. This has got to have gone from misdemeanor to felony..
Thanks cappy! The fasion police showed up and gave me a $800 pair of "Core" sunglasses to match my black and white $400 "Core" board shorts and my super expensive "Core" kites. Now I am cool and automatically more respected along with being a better kiter by just having more expensive gear.

Your help in making me more fashionable is appreciated. But the best part is everyone is asking me if I am now super rich! (Shhhhhhh! Dont tell them that I am not.)

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby elguapo » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:47 am

i hold sunglasses with a yellow Sparepart line that comes with the (flysurfer) repair kits...
i just attach to sunglasses..type appropriate knot so it's not too loose.... then have a sun hood or helmet over it.

pretty simple...durable...and not really noticeable.
...and glasses are secure in case of a hard fall (and i having that extra line on me may save myself a long walk if i ever blew a line on mixer)

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby bkkite » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:26 pm

I lost pair after pair for years till I finally found these Chums Halfpipes. The have a strong hold, don’t slide off easily, and float if they ever do fully come off

Lately I’ve been wearing polarized knockarounds because they are cheap, but have been looking for glasses that scratch less easily

https://knockaround.com/products/clear- ... e-classics

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:54 pm

Lip Sunglasses are offering 30% off the Typhoon and other great offers for cyber monday.
Check them out by clicking the link-
https://www.lip-sunglasses.com/?ref=30

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:36 am

So we went over this right???

No Polarized sunglasses!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcqZHYo7ONs

That is it!

Return to “Kitesurfing”