Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone tried foiling with a wing?

Forum for wing surfers
gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Anyone tried foiling with a wing?

Postby gl » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:45 pm

I have the slingshot slingwing which is 4.2 square metres. I'm guessing I need about 17 knots at my current skill level to get up on my Infinity 84 foil. I had a fun session yesterday in conditions which I would not want to kite foil and have trouble windfoiling. The wind was slightly off the shore over trees and was very dirty and extremely gusty. This is where the wing was really useful. Something no one has mentioned that I've read yet is that once upon the foil when the wind drops back down I'm able to keep on going into really quite light wind. Because the wind was so gusty even windfoiling would have been difficult for me as I would have breached quite often in the sizeable waves where as with the slingwing it is so easy to spill power that I was able to foil for long periods without breaching. Like the other said it is a lot of fun.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:45 pm

I ordered a Gong 7m, i think the biggest wing atm in the market, not sure when it will arrive but im curious to try it. Launching from the concrete ramp in my local marina will be fun enough :)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:32 pm

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:45 pm
I ordered a Gong 7m, i think the biggest wing atm in the market, not sure when it will arrive but im curious to try it. Launching from the concrete ramp in my local marina will be fun enough :)

I also find that size a lot more interesting, as the 3-4-5 m2 when you watch on videos, are in so much wind that you could ride with a surfboard or TT instead :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2404117

8) Peter

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii

Postby joekitetime » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:54 pm

Recently (well, yesterday) I posted a "how lame is that" blurb regarding the wind wing thing. It has been my opinion and general opinion on the beach. However, I do keep hearing folks go on and on about how "fun" it is.

Since I was passionate about windsurfing, because I love kiting and foiling, and because I love to fly the biggest and fattest foils I can find, I suppose I should try it...

As I think about it, I've wanted a board that I can paddle, prone and small kite fly with foil. So this wing may also be a good setup to power that board/foil in conjunction with pumping.

Hopefully after a few tries I can fully stand behind my comments, good or bad!

oregonkiter
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff

Postby oregonkiter » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:18 pm

^^^
I was/am with you. Then, I saw Ken Winner (Duotone designer) and his wife killing it on wings on a very windy and big river swell day in The Gorge. Looked very fun, dynamic and I am now interested. In general, I have seen several Hood River locals put the hours in this summer and really improve.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:32 pm

Realistically speaking, do you need a large SUP or windsurf board (with a large foil) to wing surf with?

I can see the advantages, in certain conditions & circumstances, over kite foiling. However, I don't see the advantages over wind foiling. The local wind foiling crew have recently purchased a couple of wing foils. I will be interested to see if & when they choose to wing foil rather than wind foil.

joekitetime
Frequent Poster

Postby joekitetime » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:37 pm

A possible advantage (and big one for me) is riding toeside with a wind wing when it isn't practical with a wind foil (dang its hard to keep these terms straight).

Looking to place order for one to try...

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:56 pm

joekitetime wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:37 pm
A possible advantage (and big one for me) is riding toeside with a wind wing when it isn't practical with a wind foil (dang its hard to keep these terms straight).
I don't get that? Why isn't it practical with a wind foil? I haven't tried either ... but I'm assuming if you're on a really big wing riding toeside or switching stance, is relatively easy?

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:07 pm

joekitetime wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:54 pm
Recently (well, yesterday) I posted a "how lame is that" blurb regarding the wind wing thing. It has been my opinion and general opinion on the beach. However, I do keep hearing folks go on and on about how "fun" it is.
It will be interesting to hear how it goes for you, given your experience in the related areas. One thing I am fairly certain of: even if you find it really fun, video of yourself will look lame and your performance is unlikely to convince many of the other general opinion on the beach people. (unless you happen to be one of those super freaks who make everything look WOW). Foiling in general and SUP foiling in particular, seems to be one of those things that looks slow and boring, but is a lot more exciting when it's you doing it. Maybe it's from being a few feet above the water surface, tricks your brain into thinking you're in danger or something.

For me, jury's still out, not enough experience to say. After intense frustration in first few sessions, it sure felt awesome to finally get up and stay up. I was just barely starting to feel comfortable enough to play around a little, then the wind machine died. So it remains to be seen ... (a) if fun enough to take the place of some 12m kiting sessions, or (b) if a realistic/viable option for sup foiling in wind, for an "average" surfer.

Re: question about big board...right now the focus seems to be SUP foils or bigger surf foils. Increasingly people are using straps. And with straps, I suspect water starts in higher winds will become more feasible ... I suspect over next few months we will see more videos of the pro types riding increasingly tiny surf foil boards. Since they can pump those to stay on foil in flat water, between waves, that may have interesting implications for the potential in various conditions. Dunno, we'll see.

joekitetime
Frequent Poster

Postby joekitetime » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:10 pm

Excellent points. I really, really am not looking forward to another SUP board in the back of my truck, carrying it and paddle and wind wing to beach, especially if it is windy. Pita! I love my little dwarf craft 3'6" micro. Thing fits in your back pocket! And so easy to carry and look cool!

And, to your point regarding the 12m, what not do another "combining" of sports? Why not just fly that 12m on say 10' lines or something. Then you can fly that wing sorta thing with one hand, and with your harness and not elbows. Just a thought. A wing of sorts.

For me I like to hop on a swell then somehow be able to make that kite go away for awhile. A light duty foil kite still seems like a better option.

Another "big" advantage with windsurf boards, and wind foil (dang I hate these terms) is that in next to no wind you can schlogg out into the lineup (big, floaty board). So, for the wind winged wind surfer who ditched his rig for a wing, I suppose you can still sorta schlogg out to either the wind line or swell or whatever. You really can't do that with a floatyless board and big kite for danger of dropping the kite.

But you made another great point - smaller straps on a kitish board and possible a bigger wing capable of more power then waterstarts! Now we are talking!

And, as if the tangent hasn't gone far enough out, yesterday a kiting guru (who claims to have invented the 5th line and had the idea stolen years ago, but that is another tangent) gave me what he says is the ultimate light wind LEI kite relaunch - grabbing the leash which is connected to one of the front lines, while simultaneously grabbing the steering line on the opposite side of the kite. Those 2 lines he claims will get any kite up and no wind (can't wait to try, sorta). But if the trick works when I'm back to ditching a big board for a tiny one and kite.

But the wing has some appeal for foil surfing to me. I can use a paddle to get back out rather than pump, although if I did pump back out I imagine I would be the "man" sporting those awesome muscles, so the wing will replace the paddle (you see my problem already - laziness). I'd rather stand there and hold the wing then have to paddle. But then my laziness once again takes over because I have to carry it all back to my truck when I'm done.

Oh the dilemma!

Return to “Wingsurfing”