Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why do manufacturers do not list board weight?

Forum for kitesurfers
Goavegas
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Grado
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Tarifa ,
Gear: Cabrinha FX 10 - 8 X-Caliber
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why do manufacturers do not list board weight?

Postby Goavegas » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:54 pm

Company can tell you how heavy theyr board are,but do you know how much fiberglass or carbon,how much resin,how heavy are binding insert,and most hard to find,if you know how heavy is the core how can you find out where they take weight off ?
Then they will tell you how to build yourself the board they have spent money time and effort to create.
But if you find out all the "number's" let us know,we want to build our drean ride as well.

kite_hh
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, North, own

Postby kite_hh » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:11 pm

Goavegas wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:54 pm
Company can tell you how heavy theyr board are,but do you know how much fiberglass or carbon,how much resin,how heavy are binding insert,and most hard to find,if you know how heavy is the core how can you find out where they take weight off ?
Then they will tell you how to build yourself the board they have spent money time and effort to create.
But if you find out all the "number's" let us know,we want to build our drean ride as well.
My question is not about building.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:29 am

swimmer wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:59 pm
plummet wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:30 pm
decay wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:16 pm
Is weight a measure of performance? Esp over time?
If the difference is significant then yes. More weight is slower to react, harder to turn, physically more annoying to carry, can increase the difficulty of tricks. It could also make the board more solid and less twitchy and to some degree smoother as it plows through chop better.

Not true, weight has less of an impact on performance than the shape and profile of the board. A heavy 9lb wakestyle board with a high rocker is often more lively, reacts quicker and pops easier in the water than a lightweight board with a flat rocker say around ~7lbs.
When strapped, the significance of weight to overall performance is not as pronounced. And to have a strapped board that is pushed to it's limits, lifespan on light construction can be measured in weeks for a heavy rider.

When strapless, overall weight may not make tons of difference. One more layer of 6oz glass probably would not be noticed until jumping rotations are attempted. Go to a super heavy construction board, and rotations become very difficult, though some techniques can be used to still pull them off.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:18 am

I would suggest that weight is not a big differentiator between production boards (decks).
I believe brands with high production volumes use the same factory, such as Playmaker Co, and the basic construction method and materials are the same, so the deck weight will be similar for similar sized boards.

And then you start adding components, i.e. fins, pads, straps, handles, bindings.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:01 am

swimmer wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:59 pm
plummet wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:30 pm
decay wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:16 pm
Is weight a measure of performance? Esp over time?
If the difference is significant then yes. More weight is slower to react, harder to turn, physically more annoying to carry, can increase the difficulty of tricks. It could also make the board more solid and less twitchy and to some degree smoother as it plows through chop better.

Not true, weight has less of an impact on performance than the shape and profile of the board. A heavy 9lb wakestyle board with a high rocker is often more lively, reacts quicker and pops easier in the water than a lightweight board with a flat rocker say around ~7lbs.
You are comparing apples with row boats.
Of course other factors play a bigger role. However all other factors being equal my statement I'd correct. Weight difference has an impact. A difference a 5pd and a 9pd wakes board would be very noticable.

prop_joe
Frequent Poster
Gear: twin tips

Postby prop_joe » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:36 pm

rynhardt wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:18 am
I would suggest that weight is not a big differentiator between production boards (decks).
I believe brands with high production volumes use the same factory, such as Playmaker Co, and the basic construction method and materials are the same, so the deck weight will be similar for similar sized boards.

And then you start adding components, i.e. fins, pads, straps, handles, bindings.
Agreed.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:52 pm

you can usually find the weights on reseller websites...

and as i am often on the road(needing to pack/travel to kite)....weight is important and i wouldnt buy if couldnt confirm weights and dimensions

lucas33
Rare Poster
Style: KiteWave | Hooked Freestyle | Big Air
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby lucas33 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:08 pm

CrazyFly does!

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Postby CaptainCore » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:06 pm

Very often the combined hardware, fins, straps and pads weigh more than the actual deck. In windsurfing board weights were important and played a part in performance. Kiteboards are not quite as performance oriented, although there are more signs in the foil world that weight is a factor.

I haven't checked and will do so after this post but Core and particularly Carved do make very light boards and I'd be surprised if they don't mention the weight (something I really should know) I do know the new F4's are claimed to be and definitely feel lighter and have more carbon being used, but they're not exactly 'performance' oriented in a competition sense, it just makes carrying them to the water easier, but as I said before, the damned bindings weigh more, you effectively double the board weight when you attach them.

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Postby CaptainCore » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:14 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:29 am
, lifespan on light construction can be measured in weeks for a heavy rider.
That might be the case in your Walmart bargain basement world, but not so in the COREporation... sometimes Mattypoo, paying that extra buck does have its benefits, maybe if you moved into a dumpster instead of the extravagance of a van you might afford a half decent board.. :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”