Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: That guy is dangerous

Postby Frank82 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:39 am

Why would anyone not wear a helmet while climbing? Rocks fall all the time.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:55 am

Sorry can't be bothered reading 12 pages of mostly squabbling.

I wear an impact vest, Gath helmet and sunglasses everytime I go out whether it's 6 knots foiling or 35 knots megalooping.

Smashed my first Gath helmet in a crash that almost knocked me out (thanks Helmet), and it's saved me from stitches I reckon 3 or 4 times in 7 years of kiting. Crashed thousands of times wearing the Gath helmet including what is arguably the most dangerous positions for neck injury in a helmet, feet first on my back and face down with the helmet scooping water. Toeside edge crashes and healside edge crashes. No neck injuries yet touch wood.

Obviously I'm a pro helmet wearer. As I've said in other helmet threads on this forum, there's a largely held belief that helmets will break your neck but so far, no one has been able to point to any scientific evidence to back this up.

Wear them or don't, we can all choose.

Frank82
Frequent Poster

Postby Frank82 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:04 pm

Macster wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:55 am
Smashed my first Gath helmet in a crash that almost knocked me out (thanks Helmet), and it's saved me from stitches I reckon 3 or 4 times in 7 years of kiting. Crashed thousands of times wearing the Gath helmet including what is arguably the most dangerous positions for neck injury in a helmet, feet first on my back and face down with the helmet scooping water. Toeside edge crashes and healside edge crashes. No neck injuries yet touch wood.
Straps or boots? In wakeboarding all the guys wear helmets because of the obstacles, they crash hard as well. I don't know how much of a difference it makes on the strain on the neck.

While kiting I just don't like the feel of a helmet, for wakeboarding I never saw it as an issue but sessions generally last much shorter.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:00 pm

where did this neck strain stuff come from?

are these just a bunch of pensil necks saying this?

why is neck strain never an issue with the 100s of thousands of people playing football each year?
much more impact..every. single play....and the the ground and opposing players provide much more resistance.

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:44 pm

Frank82 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:39 am
Do you climb? Not everybody every time wears helmets. In sport climbing helmet off is more common than helmet on.

The same in kiting. It depends on the conditions. For me, non sense to wear a helmet in 12 knots. Chances of helmet doing good in light wind are really low. Not worth the hassle.

Frank82
Frequent Poster

Postby Frank82 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:18 pm

Topaz wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:44 pm
Frank82 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:39 am
Do you climb? Not everybody every time wears helmets. In sport climbing helmet off is more common than helmet on.

The same in kiting. It depends on the conditions. For me, non sense to wear a helmet in 12 knots. Chances of helmet doing good in light wind are really low. Not worth the hassle.
I don't climb but I've hiked through the mountains and seen lots of rocks falling, don't wear a helmet while hiking but yeah, I get your point.

Frank82
Frequent Poster

Postby Frank82 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:19 pm

elguapo wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:00 pm
where did this neck strain stuff come from?
In straps you don't get neck strain, in boots your neck can be sore for weeks with a heavy crash. The board & boots function as an anchor stopping you in your spot. In straps you slide out of your straps and gradually come to a stop.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:56 pm

i see

(i've never wore boots or had interest in wakestyle)

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:14 pm

kgb wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:32 am
While telling people they are bad for saying others are uncool for wearing safety gear Matteo says on the sunglasses topic that if you pay more than he did for his sun glasses solution then you are a kook as well, ridiculing someone for their choice of ‘safety gear’

That doesnt sound very cool to me.
So, I went back through my posts, and nope! - nowhere in that thread did I ever equate wearing expensive sunglasses to being a "kook". Every single post simply references that they are paying too much. It would be equivalent to someone paying $1000 for a cool looking helmet. In that case, I would again simply say that is ok, but a waste of money since you could save $900 with a completely functional product.

So once again kgb, YOU LIED. You are getting to make that a pretty bad habit of yours.

But thanks for the read as my exchange with pulley in that thread was worthy of the archives of debate.

kgb
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montrose Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, NC & Tarifa, Spain
Style: Freeriding and wave riding.
Gear: Kite - Slingshot Fuel
Board - North Jaime Pro (twintip)
Brand Affiliation: None at all.

Postby kgb » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:29 pm

Haha,

So now you get to decide what an acceptable level of expenditure is... and they say you can’t put a price on safety.. well you just have.

Spend more you are worthy of matteos derision and mocking, your Core kite comments back that up, spend the Matteo approved amount and your in the kool gang.

Return to “Kitesurfing”