Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: Anyone tried foiling with a wing?

Postby juandesooka » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:35 pm

jkrug wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:19 pm

no...you don't. but what's funny to me is how often you feel you need to comment on this topic. if you're so against the concept, why bother commenting or even reading about it? we get it...you think it's lame. now go do what normal people do and pay attention to things you don't think are lame.
Agreed.

FYI, the "Foe" option can provide a useful filter. It creates an "ignore list" ... you still see that people have posted something, but the posts themselves are removed.

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jatem » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:22 pm

Can you ride upwind on these wings, or are they just for downwind swell?

I was out kiting yesterday, watching a good kite foiler use a wing on a foilSUP, in 20+ knots of wind. He was mowing the lawn, and very slowly. There was ample swell, I was expecting him to ride it downwind like I was, but I thought maybe he couldn't get back upwind.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:02 pm

jatem wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:22 pm
Can you ride upwind on these wings,
When first learning on the wing you may not get up foiling especially if the wind is light. Then it is difficult to stay upwind. It is also a situation when you are not going fast, and the board is tippy and you are prone to fall in.

But when you get your board up foiling then you can rocket upwind, perhaps at an even higher angle than with a hydrofoil kiteboard because you typically are using such a large hydrofoil wing. The feeling of getting your board up foiling is just like on your hydrofoil kiteboard.. everything gets fast and stable and easy and enjoyable.

:wink: CG
Last edited by cglazier on Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:09 pm

jkrug wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:19 pm
elguapo wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:53 pm

i try to be respectful...
no...you don't. but what's funny to me is how often you feel you need to comment on this topic. if you're so against the concept, why bother commenting or even reading about it? we get it...you think it's lame. now go do what normal people do and pay attention to things you don't think are lame.

you see....
when folks post stuff like this:
cglazier wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:00 am
Thanks Gunnar for your informative post. In contrast it is rather tiring to see those who have never tried a wing repeatedly posting their opinions. Perhaps they think ... whatever.. :roll:
blah blah

:wink:
CG

passively calling folks out is like saying "biggie smalls" 3x in front of a mirror..
youre welcome to do it....just dont throw a hissy fit when he's there with you

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:30 pm

Same for me CG. On SUP I couldn't hold ground. With SUP Foil on surface, a little better due to the big fin below, but also lost ground. Once up on foil, rocketed back upwind easily.

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity

Postby mr_daruman » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:59 pm

The biggest plus I can see is the ability to launch in areas where kiting is impossible.
Biggest flawed argument. Why? The gear is annoyingly bulky. Big heavy board with a wing you need to pump, then carry together to hard to reach area?? You will do it once, then probably go back to your regular windsurf/kite surf point.

I have tried it a couple of times. In 10 knots I was able to ride very slowly upwind with my 7'4 x25 SUP surf board on the first go.
In 15 knots I switched to kitesurfing with my kite foil and ripping with other windsurfers, while a couple Wingers were dragging along super slowly not having much fun.

Then it happened. One of the wingers who is a regular SUPer, seeing my tiny 90cm strapless foil board riding a 7m2 in 15 knots asked were he could learn kitesurfing....
So my take hasn't changed. These wings are great for resorts and schools. A stepping stone to other high performance wind sports. It also great to have fun with friends on the beach on SUP boards. But worth 1000 euros?(in Japan)
wing.jpg
wing2.jpg
wing3.jpg
wing7.jpg
wing7.jpg (65.88 KiB) Viewed 1099 times

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:29 am

I love it. That's my experience.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:00 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:38 pm
elguapo wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:13 pm
Laughingman wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:08 pm
LMAO, the manufactures be like OOOOh its the next awesome thing.... Facebook/instagram/kite pros etc.... (including Gunnar... so sad) be like ... its awesome get one...

Kiteforum be like ....... crickets

And this is why I love this place. No marketing BS is going to influence us!

search.php?keywords=wing <----- one thread ROFLMAO! Too funny
little bit of a low brow on a broda, eh?

and this wingsurfing thing....what is dis?
it that like that umbrella surf fad that is taking the world by storm right now?
:naughty:
Yah well it was a targeted point, I follow very few sponsored riders and try to follow mostly (from what I can tell) unbiased testers, people who get gear sent to them to try, sadly certain testers lately (imho) have sold out and are saying what their (nonsponsors but here is a free thing) for you to talk about... want them to say.
I am sorry that you feel this way, but it cannot be farther from the truth, and to be honest I am slightly insulted that you think I would promote something that I do not love to do. I don't do that, and for example that has cost me my importer status with Moses. I really love wingfoiling and see a huge potential for it. I am actually spending most of my free time winging, even as I am supposed to be preparing for the race in Tarifa next week. After that race I am seriously thinking of quitting racing and spending a lot more time and energy on the wing instead.

However. I do have to agree with you on one point: It is not like kiting and it will not replace kiting. It is not for everyone. For people like me who love foiling in all it's aspects (just like I love kiteflying in all its aspects) it is an amazing new tool that opens up a whole new world to us. For normal kitesurfers it won't. What it might do is destroy the momentum of Windfoiling. Wings are so much simpler to set up and handle than a windsurf sail and just easier to manoeuvre etc. The windsurf industry should be worried about this more than the kitesurf industry.

--
Gunnar
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:
bigtone667 (Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii

Postby joekitetime » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:20 pm

I like it when people express strong opinions. It does help to flush out the truth.

I've gone from loving to hating these wings, back and forth, for all kinds of reasons, and still haven't tried but have witnessed many who have.

But thanks for the strong comments!

My hope would be to get a bigger wing so I could ride a smaller board on a bigger foil. That is the direction I'd like to go. And whoever made the comment about being able to water start with the wing got me excited about that style of riding.

We shall see! Although I've cursed the thing I also am on the verge of buying one...

But honestly, thanks for all the comments. They are very helpful.

DomYule
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Camber, Hythe, Bournemouth, Brighton, Devon, Cornwall
Brand Affiliation: F-One

Postby DomYule » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:30 am

I'm now in love with this sport!

I still wave kite when it's windy and wavy.

I still windsurf when it's really windy and wavy

I kite foil when it's marginal

Now I find myself on the Wing and a surf foil more and more often. I was super sceptical at first like many here but 10 sessions in I'm getting much better and have started riding swells - it's a new, very free sensation.

My inspiration has come from this video:

It's so efficient, upwind, downwind and really maximises even the slackest of conditions.
These users thanked the author DomYule for the post:
lederhosen (Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:40 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Wingsurfing”