Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Duotone Rebel 2020

Postby Toby » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:28 pm

Duotone News:

Duotone Rebel 2020

dt 1.png
dt 1.png (265.68 KiB) Viewed 6259 times

“If you like to fly, and I mean really fly hiiiiiiiigh, the Rebel is your kite.” - Reno Romeu

The kite that redefined kiteboarding is back once again - if freeriding, big air and unreal hangtime is your goal, the Rebel is your best shot!

https://www.duotonesports.com/kiteboarding/kites/rebel/

OVERVIEW

There’s no better jump oriented, high performance freeride kite than the 2020 REBEL. The five-strut design is the ultimate freeride and big air weapon, especially good for heavier riders who need an extremely stable kite that can handle high loads and big power spikes. The Rebel has excellent sheet-and-go capabilities to easily dial up power at the bar, complemented by plenty of depower. It’s a fantastic kite for progressing, as it is so forgiving, however, it is packed with performance too. Boosters, cruisers and big riders who need super-stable kites are true REBEL riders.

Watch the 2020 REBEL in action whilst we talk you through every update, performance feature and overall design that creates a jumping machine to fly sky-high.

WHAT´S NEW

- New, lighter Trailing Edge wave patch for reduced flutter and TE flutter marks
- Cleaner, more durable leech panel design for increased structural stiffness
- Crisper feel

BEHIND THE DESIGN OF THE 2020 REBEL - KEN WINNER

With our advancements in cloth and material, developed with longstanding partner Teijin, Ken’s vision for the 2020 REBEL was to refine the materials and leech panels to improve weight, leech tension and leech durability. Read what went on behind the design.

Read More

LEWIS CRATHERN REVIEWS THE 2020 REBEL

“REBEL riders are big air addicts that like to have maximum lift and boost at all times. We are freeriders who continue to enjoy the most unique aspect of our sport, to fly high and stay in the air as long as possible!” - Lewis

Read More

2020 REBEL IN A NUTSHELL

The 2020 REBEL is the kite you need when you want to send it to the moon. If you want bigger jumps from your sessions with a crisp and trademark REBEL feel, it’s time to join the Rebellion!

dt 2.png

https://www.duotonesports.com/kiteboarding/kites/rebel/

COOP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Everywhere
Favorite Beaches: All Australian beaches.
Style: Freeride
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Duotone Rebel 2020

Postby COOP » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:31 am

Any one tested the Rebel yet? Can’t get my hands on one atm but what I would like to know if the 2020 model has more bar pressure than the last two years?

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:08 pm

Whats new - Crisper feel :) :) :) :) :) :) without comments

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nipissing, North Bay, ON, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Ontario Canada, PEI Canada
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
Style: TT, SB and HF
Gear: 12, 9, 7 North Dice 2016
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil
Been thanked: 0

Postby dksurfer » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:23 pm

Can anyone comment on what is the bar pressure compared to the 2019 Evo? I like the lighter bar pressure of the Evo.

COOP
Medium Poster

Postby COOP » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:16 am

What’s the verdict????

eenzwemvijver
Rare Poster
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Oesterdam - The Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: El Gouna - Egypt
Kappalady lagoon - Sri Lanka
Mauritius - le Morne
Style: old school
Gear: North Orbit 12 m2 2023
Core XR7. 9 and 7 m2

DSD intel stallion 5,2
Boardschmiede 135 x 40 , Duotone Jaime textreme 133 x 40 , S6 Boards 134 x 40
Groove foil board and Fab foil

Postby eenzwemvijver » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:23 pm

I did fly the 2020 Rebel 12 m in Sri Lanka ( 3 Sessions ) and It is faster than the previous version ( I think about the same speed as my Rebel 11m 2019 )
It felt a bit more agile , but is stil the Fine tuned Rebel I love .

For my 12 I will switch to 2020 , smaller size's 10 and below I don't see the need for a upgrade !
These users thanked the author eenzwemvijver for the post:
COOP (Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:12 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:57 pm

I flew the new Rebel at AWSI. I was on a 12m - it was early, just before the wind really started kicking in. The bar pressure is the same as previous years and to me, overall it felt similar to last year's Reb but I did notice that the looping out of tricks felt tighter (darkslides, hand drags, etc). As one would expect, the kite feels really solid and locked into sky with raw boosting power. To me its still one of the best hangtime and boosting kites in the industry.

As an aside, I also tried the Evo and was super impressed - with the removal of the pulleys you can really feel the difference. I formally owned only Rebels but will be adding an Evo to my quiver this year, probably a 9 meter.
These users thanked the author lindseym for the post (total 2):
COOP (Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:12 pm) • lucas33 (Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:21 am)
Rating: 6.06%

COOP
Medium Poster

Postby COOP » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:12 am

I’ve been giving a good work out in the last 3 days 18-20kts on the 2019 12mt and 11mt. I was sold on the 11mt with it being more quicker for looping. I noticed you do lose a little bit of loft compared to the 12mt but not a major. Still get descent hang time for old school tricks. Just thought it was a really sweet size for me (89kg) in that wind which is what we mainly get.
So I’d be keen to give the new 12mt a go if it is like the 2019 11mt for turning speed sounds promising.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:20 am

Gave the new 15m Rebel a go for about 3hrs in marginal wind. It's not hugely different, but there are some small noticeable changes.

Weight: 95kg
Wind: 15-19kn, mostly under 17kn
Lines: 27m

1. Turning speed is slightly increased
2. Loops have a little less power and finish quicker
3. Jumping is now a bit more normal and less beginner friendly.
4. Float - jesus f*** it's incredible. Even in the crap lower wind, the hangtime was unreal.
5. Low end - seemed the same.
6. Top end - no idea yet
7. Drift - little better
8. Bar pressure - same, heavier as the wind increases
9. Relaunch - didn't crash it, but can't imagine it would be any different
10. Upwind - maybe a little better, but not worth mentioning

Overall, it was extremely similar to the 2018 it's replacing (for me). The one exception is the hangtime, which was at least a good 1-2 seconds more from a little 5-6m jump. I've never landed so softly without a last second gust. Jumpwise the 2018 didn't like any slack in the lines, so proper load/pop wasn't the best way to jump. 2020 seems to be half way between a normal load/pop Evo/Dice/whatever, so it does benefit from a bit of load. It's still super easy to jump, just likely won't get the same height from crap technique. One thing I did notice was it backstalled a little when oversheeted in light wind during hard turns. Semi-normal behaviour in kites in my experience, but it didn't happen as much on the 2018. If you don't loop it fully sheeted in light wind, you probably won't notice.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:07 am

Thank you for the reviews. This is I think the demonstration of what it was largely discussed in this forum: is it a good idea to introduce a new model that is 90% indistinguishable from the previous one? Imo, frankly speaking, it is not. Far more correct to follow a development based renewal.

Return to “Kitesurfing”