Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pulsion 18m

For all foil kite riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pulsion 18m

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:42 pm

I finished editing this video in very light wind with the 18m 4 month ago. It was too light for the 12m despite its power; near the shore and its buildings at least.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
Delta99 (Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:12 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:50 am

Another one (long for people wanting details) in very marginal wind. We can see how it behaves in 3 knots and less, then my trials of waterstart and in the end ...

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:13 am

That is the limit of what is rideable. I would say wind is between 1-4 knots, at the start when you are having trouble flying it looks like 1-2 knot, when you start riding it is 2-3knots. I think you get some 4 knot gusts to help you start.

I have found the best technique to start in low power is to swoop the kite as wide through window as possible, so starting as far as you can get it to one side of the window and somewhat high. If you have to keep it actively flying because the wind is light then you will have to do it in a fluid motion. You keep the kite fully depower while it is flying so it builds maximum speed. When it crosses directly down wind, fully sheet in and in fact over sheet it. The power you get should be enough to get the board out of the water. You then need to sheet out because the kite is or will stall and pump the foil to catch up with the kite. You can sine the kite or loop it while you pump. Usually I just straight line fly and pump till I can park it.

While pumping through lulls I have pondered flying the kite through no wind.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:00 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:50 am
Another one (long for people wanting details) in very marginal wind. We can see how it behaves in 3 knots and less, then my trials of waterstart and in the end ...
Pulley bar - the universe has still not got rid of those.. :P

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:52 am

joriws wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:00 am
Regis-de-giens wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:50 am
Pulley bar - the universe has still not got rid of those.. :P
Yes , an old fashion pulley bar (actually a classic Pansh bar that I have transformed to pulley bar, custom) ; it is quite comfortable on the beach or during waterstart ; however then I used this Pulsion 18m with a large classic bar, 65 cm , and it is enough if you accept to punctually seize the pre-lines to maje it turn on its tip (and then the lighter bar pressure of a standard bar is more comfortable I feel).

Thanks foilholio ; I do not like announcing wind speed numbers in those winds since it will be very "rider reference" dependant, but I must say we have the same reference , I agree with your figures. For years I try to optimize my waterstart in ight wind, I start to think that among the three methods, when good timed, you have almost the same result :
- classic launch through the window
- loop frontward
- loo back ward

... he winner will change from one kite to another, depending on ratio and line length for example.\

in this video, we do not see the details, but here is what I do:
- kite on the extreme window right
- I swim almost against the wind to create a bit of apparent wind (say 0.5 knot)
- I place the hydrofoil in opposite direction, still trying to swim upwind,
- drive the kite in opposite window, and leave my back foot straight in the water to be used a keel and pushing against the wind to limit the drag downwind
- as soon as tension starts, I put the foot on the board , I bend the knees to the maximum I can, I sink the board to get on it , even if the whole will sink a bit
- then I pump a bit

At my current low wind limit, the limiting factor is rather getting ON the board than start foiling, hence pumping is useful but its "quality" is not so significant with a 1200cm2 wing like on this video.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:18 pm

For me it is always the problem to get the board out of the water. Once I can get the board out I can pump and if I can pump I can ride without the kite, well for a short while. I think 1200cm is fine given your weight, you may not pump for 10 mins I think with that size but it should be fine to get started with the kite. The only thing I can comment from the video is your pumping technique from what I saw is not energetic enough. The action to me seems best when you bop up and down crazy with arms flapping like a bird and as I can only describe looking a bit like a "fool" lol but that is what works!

The horue guys are my fav foilers.

Think work the shaft. :-P

You can practice pumping with the kite by pumping/riding downwind with the kite falling out the air so no pull.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:57 pm

In this video and with the 1200 , I do not need to pump as i tried to explain. So i did not pump at all for waterstart !!! :cool2:
On a 850 cm2 and smaller kite, it is different as you can see here between 3:00 and 4:00 in a video last year on the pulsion 15m2 :

Foilhoilio , how long are you hydrofoiling ? With which kite as low end kite ?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:06 am

A little while :-p Mainly use Psycho4-15, great kites for foiling because of the large range. I can ride it down to 4-5knots, below that it doesn't have enough power to get me on foil or if I am riding it it won't go upwind and if I stop flying it will fall out of the air, literally fall, I even need to swim against it sometimes. I have yet to test out the low end on the A15 but it has a lot more power and performance than the Pyscho4. I think I will get a more light kite, I am hoping Pansh will update the A15. I need to contact them about looking at my mods to it. I think the mid AR, 3 bridle row could make a very compelling low wind platform. I am a bit disappointed the fabric Pansh uses for ultralight is not lighter, but for value no one is better. I am interested in singleskins for riding waves in lightwind, but it seems their performance upwind is not good enough, hopefully that improves. The firefly seems good or better.

I find pumping it helps heaps to use at least one hand to flap up and down. I am thinking of getting a larger 2000-2500cm2 foil for pumping.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:53 am

no, 4 knot with a psycho4 , not possible, at least not in my wind speed references :-) ; but wind speed is so difficult to measure in those winds so it is hard to get a commun reference.... to me 4 knots is what is approx. on the video (4-5 knots) , and a Psycho nor A15 would properly fly in this wind without constant loops (maybe ...)

In very low end (say 2-3 knots in your references), the 18m2 of your A15 will not be too much power (and will be necessary) once you are comfortable with hydrofoil, and "accepting" hard pull in the leg without high speed; but indeed the light cloth of Pansh (and worse Psycho 4) is not so light and will not allow to fly in such a poor wind, as for Psycho4 , my strong opinion.

With a 2000 cm2 hydrofoil you will not need to pump, the more difficult will be to be lifted on the board (unless you want to use your kite as a paraglider that you pull against the wind :-) ... but is another "sport" :roll:).

No offence here , just the opinion of my passion for marginal wind .

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:18 am

Constant loops is not the best way to keep a kite flying in light wind. Side to side is, what is basically a figure 8 but can be a drawn out 0. Most foil kites can be flown down to 1-2knots, this is where constant flying is needed, significant running and space needed to launch in it too. You can get maybe 1 knot more out of a kite with significant thermal buoyancy aka hot air balloon effect. I have ridden the 15m many times in wind that it will fall out of the air if i stop flying it, for some I can continue upwind at some point it drops that I can't go upwind and then it drops enough that I can't stay on foil without pumping. In wind that is below I can't ride upwind, if I stop foiling and then stop flying the kite it will fall out of the air, and in some cases I have needed to swim and fly it to keep it in the air. If it ends on the water I can not relaunch it. I can relaunch foils in 5knots in deepwater.

I know I will need a bigger kite to go below 4knots given the power drop on the 15m. The thing that leads me to the 15m more than the 18m is the amount of power at 8knots plus on the 18m is huge. Where as with the 15m this is much higher. I can chase say 5-12knots on the 15m vs say a theoretical 3-8knots on the 18m but I would need a lighter kite to make that 3knots work. Given my lack of time, chasing an extra 2 knots is not necessary, what would drive me is I love light wind I think like you. I think it is a magical experience. Improved wave riding with the kite would also be a consideration. Then though surfing a large foil without any kite is another consideration.

For me pumping is always necessary, it is what pushes the limit beyond what is capable with just the kite. I can stay on foil in wind as I said the kite can't static fly or relaunch. I can get on foil where no amount of looping will get you there. All I can say is if you used my technique in that 18m vid you would have water started no issue those many attempts you failed to. Wait till you try starting in water that is shallower than your mast and onshore and with large waves :-) then you will know difficult.

If you look here Armin has the vigor but not the timing. @46sec He gets the board out of the water and fails. If you can get the board out of the water you can pump and if you can pump you can ride without the kite. You just need to be able to pump well.

Return to “Foil Kites”