For all foil kite riders
Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby Macster » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:26 am

So I reckon I've had my Souls for about a year now 12m and 8m. I've tried all sorts of boards, foil wing sizes and line lengths 15-28m. If it helps anyone here's where I have landed:

Rider 83kg in summer 86 kg in winter lol
6 or 7 years kiting experience, 2 years of foiling
Multiple foil boards and wings but my current favourite is the moses T40 board with the 683 wing. About to get a Moses T22 so that might change things...

12m Soul. As long as I can keep the kite in the air (4-5 knots), I can foil on it with 22-25m lines. Favourite wind on this kite is 6-10 knots.

8m Soul. 22m lines. Favorite wind is 10-15 knots.

6m Nova 16m lines. Favorite wind 15 to 20.

All of these kites can go another 5 knots higher fairly comfortably and I've had them beyond that again but I don't like riding powered up and I always reach for the smallest kite I can fly rather than the other way around.

If you're using a big wing foil and you don't weigh too much I really don't see the need to go bigger than a 12m in the Soul but to be fair I guess it has taken me a while to become more efficient in light wind water starts and kite control.

Twin tip riding is different but then I use inflatable kites for that.

Anyway hope this helps anyone considering kite sizes.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:51 am

SolarSet wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:25 am
His English wasn't great and he was very stresses speaking to camera. I would wait for official review/release before judging HF.

Why you think this split hybrid wouldn't be good for jumping? TT type of board are very stiff and take loads of beating but not sure how attaching foil must affects board straight.

Lack of good split foil board keeps me off learning HF and I'm not going bag to traveling with huge golf bag for holidays when I can pack everything nicely with checking bag :cool2:
He may have been nervous but he did clearly say not to bottom out with the wing and by the looks of it I would be wary.

If they kept with the M6 mounting bolts like on the infinity split boards, there’s been a history of them failing. It’s just not sturdy enough for the forces involved when landing with the foil. I’ve had both of the last two boards so I have some experience with them. Don’t get me wrong, they are great boards, but they are a little fragile and should be ridden as such. I plan on using my board exclusively for travel where previously I use to daily them. Also make sure if you are using it for an extended period of time to insure the connection is still nice and tight. My first board failed at the split connection because it worked loose and I didn’t realize it till it was too late.

FYI I’ve been traveling with a 120cm micro board for awhile now and have had no problems with airlines or fees. It is a little bigger of a footprint than a splitboard but still in my opinion very easy to travel with. I am always searching ways to make my travel setup lighter which is why I’ll get this new hybrid but it is an option as well. Might be a little more of a learning curve with the smaller board but the hybrid isn’t going to be that great to learn on as well.
Last edited by Adventure Logs on Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:55 am

Macster wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:26 am

How would you compare the Nova to the Soul 8m? I’ve been eyeing the 4m.

Macster
Frequent Poster

Postby Macster » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:15 am

I think I gave you a quick response on the Nova thread. I've had it out 3 times now from 9 knots to nearly 30. It has a really impressive wind range.

No canopy twisting when it turns (the soul does a little) so you get a slower turn but a really powerful loop in the same size and when signing the kite.

Higher bar pressure which I like as it has a solid feel throughout the wind window and good feedback.

Not as easy to relaunch as the Soul, it's almost automatic on the Soul but it does hold its air pressure for a long time like the Soul.

I reckon the 6m Nova is comparable to the 7m Soul.
These users thanked the author Macster for the post:
Adventure Logs (Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:55 am)
Rating: 3.03%

richy-c
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best

Postby richy-c » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:23 am

Macster wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:26 am
So I reckon I've had my Souls for about a year now 12m and 8m. I've tried all sorts of boards, foil wing sizes and line lengths 15-28m. If it helps anyone here's where I have landed:

Rider 83kg in summer 86 kg in winter lol
6 or 7 years kiting experience, 2 years of foiling
Multiple foil boards and wings but my current favourite is the moses T40 board with the 683 wing. About to get a Moses T22 so that might change things...

12m Soul. As long as I can keep the kite in the air (4-5 knots), I can foil on it with 22-25m lines. Favourite wind on this kite is 6-10 knots.

8m Soul. 22m lines. Favorite wind is 10-15 knots.

All of these kites can go another 5 knots higher fairly comfortably and I've had them beyond that again but I don't like riding powered up and I always reach for the smallest kite I can fly rather than the other way around.

If you're using a big wing foil and you don't weigh too much I really don't see the need to go bigger than a 12m in the Soul but to be fair I guess it has taken me a while to become more efficient in light wind water starts and kite control.

Twin tip riding is different but then I use inflatable kites for that.

Anyway hope this helps anyone considering kite sizes.
Im looking to buy a 12 at the moment so it helps me thanks 👍How do you find the turning speed compared to say a 15 lei?

Macster
Frequent Poster

Postby Macster » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:35 pm

With 25m lines it's probably slower than a typical 15m lei. I flew it with 17m lines for most of the time I've owned it and that made it comparable to a 13m.

Turn speed isn't really much of an issue IMHO opinion when cruising around on a foil but important when doing tricks on a twin tip.

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:08 pm

elguapo wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:17 am
juanpasala wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:59 pm
Has anyone made a comparison between an 8m and a 10m soul?
I had an 8- 12 - 15 Soul quiver. Wasnt using the 8 so I sold it, and exchanged my 12 for a 11mt race kite (deeply regretting it).
I want to get a medium number again, but between my 8m and 12 mt I always prefered the behaviour of the 12...
What do you guys think?
which race kite?
Got myself a 11m Sonic Race

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela

Postby juanpasala » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:10 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:33 am
juanpasala wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:59 pm
Has anyone made a comparison between an 8m and a 10m soul?
I had an 8- 12 - 15 Soul quiver. Wasnt using the 8 so I sold it, and exchanged my 12 for a 11mt race kite (deeply regretting it).
I want to get a medium number again, but between my 8m and 12 mt I always prefered the behaviour of the 12...
What do you guys think?
I have both but I’m having some issues I’m working out on my 10m. If you like the 12m you’ll most likely would prefer the 10m. I personally lean on the 8m because I like a lively kite and I can power kiteloop the 8m. The 8m seems to react better to shorter lines as well. Once I get my issue figured out I may change my story though.

They did come out with a Soul 9m. Why not just split the difference?
Can I ask you what issues?
I know there s a new 9m, a friend bought it and i am planning on trying it this week end, but the thing here might be the aspect ratio of thi kites, I understand the 9m is very close to the same aspect ratio of the 8m and the 10 is closer in AR to the 12, so that might give a hint on how the different sizes behave.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:28 pm

juanpasala wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:08 pm

What didn't you like about the Race? I've considered getting a VMG due to my impatience with waiting for the Sonic3. I would never buy a used race kite though.
juanpasala wrote: Can I ask you what issues?
I know there s a new 9m, a friend bought it and i am planning on trying it this week end, but the thing here might be the aspect ratio of thi kites, I understand the 9m is very close to the same aspect ratio of the 8m and the 10 is closer in AR to the 12, so that might give a hint on how the different sizes behave.
I'm having some major overflying problems and some very strange inverting issues that I've never seen before. I'm pretty sure it's not the bar and it's a new kite so I like to wait 5-10 hours before I dive into the mixer so it could be and hopefully will be a easy correction. My time on the water has drastically been reduced due to a new job so I also haven't had time to dig into it either. The strangest part is at the very low end, the kite will invert which I've never seen happen on a Soul before. It actually makes relaunching much easier but again very unusual. I'll have some time off in about 10 days and hope to get it figured out then.

=J-

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela

Postby juanpasala » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:04 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:28 pm
juanpasala wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:08 pm

What didn't you like about the Race? I've considered getting a VMG due to my impatience with waiting for the Sonic3. I would never buy a used race kite though.
juanpasala wrote: Can I ask you what issues?
I'm having some major overflying problems and some very strange inverting issues that I've never seen before. I'm pretty sure it's not the bar and it's a new kite so I like to wait 5-10 hours before I dive into the mixer so it could be and hopefully will be a easy correction. My time on the water has drastically been reduced due to a new job so I also haven't had time to dig into it either. The strangest part is at the very low end, the kite will invert which I've never seen happen on a Soul before. It actually makes relaunching much easier but again very unusual. I'll have some time off in about 10 days and hope to get it figured out then.

=J-
I love the Sonic Race, but my main spot is Calima Lake in Colombia, so lots of wind, but a bit crazy (Loads of puffs, loads of dead zones, shifty winds and different wind speeds all along the lake), and the Sonic Race, being so light, doesnt like extreme conditions that much, that s why I am looking to add a soul for those crazy days.

Return to “Foil Kites”