knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby knotwindy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:52 am

So go ahead and pump harder, your kite does bend less with higher inflation pressure.
Huh, thanks, never would have noticed :roll: :-? :lol:

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:11 am

What I frankly can't understand is that in the Ocean Rodeo site there is the "2020 kites" page but no mention to the new Aluula models. About the Razor they say: "Now in its 8th generation, the Razor is built tough and light, with time-tested materials and construction techniques". That means no Aluula for the moment...

flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4

Postby flaps1111 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:37 pm

Cuben fiber 2.0

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:47 pm

pmaggie wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:11 am
What I frankly can't understand is that in the Ocean Rodeo site there is the "2020 kites" page but no mention to the new Aluula models. About the Razor they say: "Now in its 8th generation, the Razor is built tough and light, with time-tested materials and construction techniques". That means no Aluula for the moment...
Its under the heading 'Black'.

https://oceanrodeo.eu/black/

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:30 pm

flaps1111 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:37 pm
Cuben fiber 2.0
I don't get this type of dismissal. Isn't a 2.0 version that overcomes the issues found with any initial promising concept totally desirable?

If you can remember the Hellfish, I'm pretty sure Ocean Rodeo does too. The fact Cuben was such a bust gives me greater confidence this material is indeed a significant improvement. If your gonna jump in with a new material, you had better know your not simply making the same mistake! What was that? 15 years ago?! It's a bit sad how bad it scared the pant's off major industry kite designers. They haven't even attempted to improve materials with anything more than a strand of ripstop since. I think Ocean Rodeo are smart enough to do the betta testing themselves before even letting word leak.

We've had over a decade of "anti stiction" and "future C" "technology".

F&%k that. Give me Cuban fiber 2.0 !
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 3):
knotwindy (Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:06 pm) • iriejohn (Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:24 pm) • SENDIT! (Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:25 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:49 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:30 pm
flaps1111 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:37 pm
Cuben fiber 2.0
I don't get this type of dismissal. Isn't a 2.0 version that overcomes the issues found with any initial promising concept totally desirable?

If you can remember the Hellfish, I'm pretty sure Ocean Rodeo does too. The fact Cuben was such a bust gives me greater confidence this material is indeed a significant improvement. If your gonna jump in with a new material, you had better know your not simply making the same mistake! What was that? 15 years ago?! It's a bit sad how bad it scared the pant's off major industry kite designers. They haven't even attempted to improve materials with anything more than a strand of ripstop since. I think Ocean Rodeo are smart enough to do the betta testing themselves before even letting word leak.

We've had over a decade of "anti stiction" and "future C" "technology".

F&%k that. Give me Cuban fiber 2.0 !
It is pretty simple. How have they overcome the issues of a no stretch material mated to a material that does stretch? - remember that it could be a few years before we see aluula canopy material.

More specifically, what is the 3 year wear use/storage cycle characteristics of the completed product?

It's good that you want to jump into this head first and see what happens. I'll err on the side of caution as it could be a big risk to re selling a kite that gets in the spotlight for having issues. But if any company can do this right, it's Ocean Rodeo.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:39 am

I think the issue with cuben has always been the lamination of different materials. Surely the solution is to just weave the materials together like normal fabric. I mean by laminating things together you are not just trying to use a new material but reinvent fabric. Reinvent a proven 1000's year old technology, like trying to reinvent the wheel.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:35 pm

There is a Gartner hype cycle.
CD68F666-3E70-44CF-97BF-629089721B62.jpeg
https://www.diamandis.com/blog/5-stages ... hype-cycle

In my experience, the higher the initial hype, the deeper the trough of disillusionment

For instance while hellfish was not successful in using cuben fiber, it was subsequently used without issues in the leading edge of kites.

But what does everyone remember?

I think at this juncture it would be best to have a little bit of cautious optimism and manage some expectations.

Expectations in terms of performance and availability.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:49 pm

Looking at how best announced the introduction of cuban fibre compared to how Ocean Rodeo are phrasing their marketing on Aluula. It's pretty clear Ocean Rodeo are taking a comparatively understated approach.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
iriejohn (Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:51 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:04 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:49 pm
Looking at how best announced the introduction of cuban fibre compared to how Ocean Rodeo are phrasing their marketing on Aluula. It's pretty clear Ocean Rodeo are taking a comparatively understated approach.
Perhaps, I’ve heard some interesting claims and the other problem is that there is an amplifying echo affect from people.

Example you.

I’ve also come across perfectly normal people talking about aluula. One guy told me aluula was made completely of graphene.

I think the hype is higher than you realize.

Return to “Kitesurfing”