kitenight11
Medium Poster
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Foil position on wingfoilboard

Postby kitenight11 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:13 pm

Hey,

pretty new to wingfoiling I was thinking about the foil position. I use the 6.10 Fanatic Supfoil with a us box. Am I right, if I put my foil the most forward position, if I want to achieve a very early rising at the lowest possible speed and for better pumping while on surface?
Kind regards.

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Re: Foil position on wingfoilboard

Postby gl » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:46 am

I am not an expert on this but that is what I do as well. It just means that I stand further forward on the board to balance while in flight. Where it seems to help me fly earlier is the board is flatter on the water while gaining speed. This seems to allow me to gain speed faster and thereby fly the foil sooner.

kitenight11
Medium Poster
Gear: North
Has thanked: 0

Postby kitenight11 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:45 am

Thanks, that was also my idea: to stay more centered on the board while planning to have more stability and it would be easier to get the board going to get more Speed - rather than being more towards the tail of the board. That would certainly decrease the gliding capabilities, wouldn't it?

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:03 am

kitenight11 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:13 pm
Hey,

pretty new to wingfoiling I was thinking about the foil position. I use the 6.10 Fanatic Supfoil with a us box. Am I right, if I put my foil the most forward position, if I want to achieve a very early rising at the lowest possible speed and for better pumping while on surface?
Kind regards.
Hi,

No that is not right. This is a misconception as lot of people have both in SUPfoiling, Windfoiling and now Wingfoiling. It is right that the farther forward the foil is on the board the earlier it will rise, however this leaves out the board.

When trying to pump up a board you need the board to be able to accelerate too. If the foil is too far forward , you will need to stand too far forward to balance the foil for when it rises. This presents 2 problems.

1) The Boards rocker will not work properly and the board will be slow and stick more making it hard to pump it up. On shorter boards you might also end up constantly sinking the nose. If the foil is set farther back in the right position the board will be much more loose and will accelerate forward faster which will give you the speed to pump up easier

2) When you get the foil to rise, you will stall as your foil does not have enough speed yet to fly. And you will need to move your feet forward to get the board balanced after takeoff.

For every foil and board combination there is a perfect position where the board can use its rocker optimally and makes it easy to pump up onto the foil. Normally this is very far towards the tail. I have my foils all set back almost to the back of the tracks on all my boards for Wingfoiling.

Not sure if you have seen this video. but it shows what can be done with the right foil, skills and correct setup.

Here is a shot of my lightwind setup. The Foil is almost at the back of the tracks. It is about 33 cmm from back of the plate to the tail of the board. The boars is 6'2" long.
Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 09.10.07.jpg
--
Gunnar

gl
Medium Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:56 am

I am wondering if board length changes what you are saying. My board is 7'10" and there is a bit of tail rocker. Now it may be my lack of skill but I excellerate faster standing further forward on the board. That is why I have moved the foil forward on the board so I do not have to move my feet back after take off.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:14 pm

gl wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:56 am
I am wondering if board length changes what you are saying. My board is 7'10" and there is a bit of tail rocker. Now it may be my lack of skill but I excellerate faster standing further forward on the board. That is why I have moved the foil forward on the board so I do not have to move my feet back after take off.
If you are sure that your board is accelerating faster when you are forward, then yes. However what can also be happening is that it is doing that because your foil is too far forward and you are having to stand farther forward to get the acceleration instead of lift from the foil.

--
Gunnar

gl
Medium Poster

Postby gl » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:22 pm

I will move the foil back next session and see how it works for me. Now that I have had a few more sessions maybe it will work better for me. Also maybe with the Infinity 99 foil that I am using now, that might have changed things for me. Thanks Gunnar.

Return to “Hydrofoil”