elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Foilers - do you still "surf" surf?

Postby elguapo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:44 pm

i got rid of my shortboards but did keep a favorite hybrid fishboard..

i dont surf locally anymore (too far a drive here for so so mushy waves)...
i do pack the board when i get an excuse to spend time in hawaii... sometimes i take it to DR for encuentro.
if i had to choose between spending one morning waiting in a line up @ a heavy 'cannons' in kauai or getting a week boardriding kanaha in maui during peak wind season...
well...
i'd choose to go get abused by cannons without hesitation.

..north shore kauai is a special place with some special special waves.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:49 pm

I don’t surf but I enjoy kitefoiling down a wave. Waves where I ride are not very organized most of time so kitesurfboard only comes to riding flats and I don’t recall riding mine after I started foiling

Flying the foil killed riding kitesurfboard for me, foiling killed riding large kites for me, it killed riding door board for me and it killed riding twintip for me unless it’s blowing 20+ knots

Fly the foil
Last edited by grigorib on Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:55 pm

"So, to those of you who kite foilsurf and kitesurf (or used to surf) – do you still like the surfboard after foiling?"

he is of course talking about "kite surfing"...

regisurf
Rare Poster

Postby regisurf » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:01 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:03 am
Assume you dont mean surf, but kitesurf(board) :D

Definitely, hitting the steep closing lip hard with huge spray, almost nothing beats that :thumb:

Major difference is, I dont drive for hours and hours to get wind and waves that often nomore, but wait till almost perfect conditions locally or semilocally (within 3/4 of an hours drive we can find waves in all 360 degree wind directions here).
And dont ride waves with big kites 8 and 9 m2 nomore, hardly did that before either as almost a waste of time because going DTL dont work that well - but there could be glassy waves with low winds where you do on occasion.
Here a foil is usually a lot more fun though.

So yes, ride kitesurfboards in good waves, quite sideshore wind, and 4-5-6-7 max 8 m2 kites.

Otherwise it is foiling.

Meaning 1 out of 5 sometimes maybe only 1 out of 10 sessions is on a kitesurfboard, but loving it because it is so different.
Not sure I would if possible to do half of the sessions, think it would be boring - but I dont know... :roll:

The difference for me has been, earlier before foiling it was bump and jump fun on freeride raceboards with bigger kites in low wind.
Then foiling came, and raceboards and similar got extinct/abandoned immediately, but did not influence kitesurfboarding that much for starters.
It did not take long though, till foiling in small or bigger waves got possible (with more experience that is) and was awesome, so from now the 9 m2 kitesurfboard sessions died totally, as you could ride with a 5 or 6 m2 on a hydrofoil.

8) Peter
Hello Peter

+1

Kite foiling sessions have grown to more than 90% of my sessions. That's not always in waves but my surfkite board stays most of the time in the garage...
I do surfkite when I am overpowered with the 5m Reo, above 25 knots... And I am now searching for a nice 3.5m² kite :°)
That means I do surfkite with my 5m Reo nearly exclusively > but these are magic sessions!

Cheers

Régis

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:12 pm

"surf" surf to me.....is surfing (without a kite)

i dont want to say 100%... but i more or less exclusively use a foil with a kite nowadays
(i still own a twin tip...but no directional kiteboard)

no need for a surfboard with a kite.
using a foil in high winds---> use a small kite.

you can zip down in front of a breaking wave with a foil just as well as you can with a big kite on a surfboard....however, with a foil you can actually ride that same wave...and theoretically you could all the way back to shore.
you can also just jump waves just like you do on twintips.....too.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:38 pm

I guess your just a purist.

The sport is full of choice, but despite yours there are plenty out there that still like to use kites with surfboards.

My fish was my most used board for about 5 years pre foil. It hasn't seen the light of day since the foil arrived. The shortboard however still got a little play, but like most others, as my skill on foil evolves my time on a surfboard goes down. Haven't been on it once so far this season.

Other factors similar to Peter play into it. I also don't drive half as much as I used to for kiting. I miss the beach, but as a father of two school aged kids with a business to run its a balancing act. Foiling has changed everything. My sessions are more than double what they used to be, but are fit into my schedule now as apposed to the other way round. My sessions are generally shorter and taken during my lunch or when I'm off, often missing the really best of the days conditions because of work or family.

The foil allows me to hit wind directions locally I would never do on other boards.

Would I love a good day in proper waves? Oh yeah, but I concede that the foil has tempered a lot of my wind lust.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:51 pm

I do both, usually under 18 knots foil, when properly powered try for strapless freestyle on the surfboard...if I was just riding waves I would probably only foil honestly. Only using the surfboard on nuked out wash bowl days..

I can catch 5x the waves on a foil vs surfboard. And when everyone is going for surfboard down winders cause of the current or the light wind. Forget it, foil all day.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:31 pm

Like everyone else, I am unsure if by "surf" you mean in wind with a kite, or if you mean paddling and catching waves unassisted by wind. And also like everyone else, I will just talk about my experiences regardless. :lol:

As a foil addict, I am riding my foil in more and more conditions. What was initially a light wind option, has become an every conditions tool. High winds with good wind swell is super fun on the foil; that has more or less replaced kitesurfboards in those conditions. But as soon as the waves are breaking down the line, it is kitesurfboards for me.

Unless the wind drops, in which case maybe I will be surfing on a regular surfboard, or longboard, or SUP. Or more likely, SUP foiling or surf foiling. Or maybe if the wind stays up, I may use the new wind wing plus sup foil.

Haha, so many foils, so little time. Surfboards are definitely getting crowded out, the van's getting pretty full. :thumb:
These users thanked the author juandesooka for the post (total 2):
pikovsg (Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:36 pm) • bigtone667 (Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:56 am)
Rating: 6.06%

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:37 pm

OP here. Thanks for all the responses, still processing :)
By surfing waves I mean do you prefer kite foilsurf or kitesurboard

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:46 pm

I guess ultimately it depends on the situation ... different waves call for different boards. Use the best tool for the job. And then once that gets boring, try a different one. No need to decide if you just use them all. ;-)

Return to “Hydrofoil”