Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone tried foiling with a wing?

Forum for wing surfers
bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Anyone tried foiling with a wing?

Postby bigtone667 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:01 am

gmb13 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:42 pm
cglazier wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:21 am
cwood wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:00 pm
I'm interested to know if you can gain anything upwind on a SUP with a normal skeg fin?
I haven't actually tried, but I would say no, a wing will not get you going upwind with just a normal SUP fin. Even with a hydrofoil you don't really make much progress upwind until you are up foiling.
:wink:
Yes you can. You just need to know which handles to hold and how to use the wing like a sail.

--
Gunnar
The type of board and your weight impact your ability to go upwind when not on the foil.

ie At 105kg, on a Hover 150, I cannot go upwind unless I am on the foil. But my mate on a Hover 125, who is 80kg, has no issues.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:12 am

Here are the How To Videos I made for Ozone for the WASP. Most of it also applies to other Wings and Wingfoiling/riding in gerneral

These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:
bigtone667 (Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:16 am

bigtone667 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:01 am
gmb13 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:42 pm
cglazier wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:21 am

I haven't actually tried, but I would say no, a wing will not get you going upwind with just a normal SUP fin. Even with a hydrofoil you don't really make much progress upwind until you are up foiling.
:wink:
Yes you can. You just need to know which handles to hold and how to use the wing like a sail.

--
Gunnar
The type of board and your weight impact your ability to go upwind when not on the foil.

ie At 105kg, on a Hover 150, I cannot go upwind unless I am on the foil. But my mate on a Hover 125, who is 80kg, has no issues.
Not really. I have tried every type of board and have been able to make it work and also with heaver friends on bigger SUPS or Windsurf boards. Check out the How to Ride Video above. A lot of people think that the Hand positions for Foiling and displacement riding are the same, but they are not.

When not foiling to you need to have your hands more forward on the Boom/strut and ride with the Wing more open to go up wind. Also where you stand on the board makes a huge difference. If you have enough wind to get planning on the board then its all about foot position on the board.

--
Gunnar

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:15 am

I see it like Gunnar,
it is possible to go upwind in lets say at least around 5 knts even with my setup with 63 kg naked and 72 l, but similar as with those values on a windsurfer it can pretty much be a pain, so sometimes depending from wind and wave conditions it can be more effectiv to swim with such a setup even if it is downwind.

When not flying with small but still floating boards it is important to balance both your weight over the board to have the tail not going to much down and therefore having a bad board pitch against forward direction but on the other hand you have to bring the kitewings pressure point as far back over the pressure point of your fin or better foil strut. And there will always be a conflict for smaller boards especially the more the fin or strut is towards back. It can be solved a bit by body tension which allows to seperate your center of weight and the forces of both wings running through your bodys structure, but again if to much it will be even more pain... that is how my setup looks in close to enough wind short before I start pumping to lift of.
Kitejunkie-Wingfoil-Prestart.jpg
But even if I think this could become a big business and in some years the supermarket could also sell kitewings together with their low cost iSUPS ... I just don't understand, even with big boards, anybody who wants to use those wings without foil

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity
Has thanked: 0

Postby mr_daruman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:01 pm

I rode a 7'7 x 27 SUP surf board with big quad fins upwind without too much problem in 10 knots. And yes , seems like the front hand needs to be way forward when not foiling to go upwind.
People tend to forget that you need to hook up 2 leashes...what a pain. Tried with just the wing leash but you cant really body drag to get your board like in kitesurfing. Thats my main annoyance with this sport. Plus the huge boards.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:11 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:52 pm
Laughingman wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:08 pm
LMAO, the manufactures be like OOOOh its the next awesome thing.... Facebook/instagram/kite pros etc.... (including Gunnar... so sad) be like ... its awesome get one...

Kiteforum be like ....... crickets

And this is why I love this place. No marketing BS is going to influence us!

search.php?keywords=wing <----- one thread ROFLMAO! Too funny

--
Gunnar
Haha, not sure how you can draw any similarities between the popularity of hydro foiling to the wind wing, hydro foiling solved a major challenge for riders all around the world... it enabled us to get out on the water in sub 10 knots and have fun.
The windwing requires more wind then you would normally need a massive buoyant board and massive surf wings, its backwards ass thinking, its a step back toward windsurfing.
I know how much the manufactures are pushing their riders to support it... and I don't buy it, anyone who says this is awesome has very low standards imho.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:14 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:11 pm
gmb13 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:52 pm
Laughingman wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:08 pm
LMAO, the manufactures be like OOOOh its the next awesome thing.... Facebook/instagram/kite pros etc.... (including Gunnar... so sad) be like ... its awesome get one...

Kiteforum be like ....... crickets

And this is why I love this place. No marketing BS is going to influence us!

search.php?keywords=wing <----- one thread ROFLMAO! Too funny

--
Gunnar
Haha, not sure how you can draw any similarities between the popularity of hydro foiling to the wind wing, hydro foiling solved a major challenge for riders all around the world... it enabled us to get out on the water in sub 10 knots and have fun.
The windwing requires more wind then you would normally need a massive buoyant board and massive surf wings, its backwards ass thinking, its a step back toward windsurfing.
I know how much the manufactures are pushing their riders to support it... and I don't buy it, anyone who says this is awesome has very low standards imho.
People said the exact same stuff about Hydrfoiling 9 years ago. That is why I likw the cartoon. Shows how people jump to early conclusions without even trying it.

I for one have only kited once since I started wingfoiling.

--
Gunnar

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:44 am

Monofoiling with a wing - both made by the guy using them.

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dave K » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:50 pm

Plug pulled. Blue Planet 5’8” carver, 5m Duotone, and Moses 873 on the way. Thoroughly enjoy kite foiling but Looking forward to a new challenge. Alan Cadiz’s riding style convinced me....flat water and slowish with plenty of cool stuff to learn (way beyond my athletic ability but that’s ok). I can see all kinds of fun potential that doesn’t have to involve surf

scottnorby
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 210
Local Beach: WASHINGTON
HOOD RIVER
OREGON COAST
PISMO BEACH
LA VENTANA
Favorite Beaches: Northern Oregon coast downwinders
Gear: SPACESTICK - Foilsurfer - Wingsurfer
SPACESTICK- 5’3 MICRO convertible surf foil
NAISH - 2020 jet foils
SLINGWING V2
Tomo- Hydroshort
CHANNEL ISLAND SURFBOARDS - 6'8 bandit
FERAL wetsuits
Neil Pryde Armorskin wetsuits

Postby scottnorby » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:00 pm

This wing thing is here to stay.
It relatively inexpensive when you see you can get away with one....or two...wings.
No harness
No lines
No need for a launch site at all
For sure it is relatively hard to do.
But if you enjoy laughing at yourself and not buggered by what anyone thinks of you--- then you will be so stoked.

We have been foiling behind boats and skis, and towing into small waves.
Also have done strike missions to try and catch cruise ship wakes with moderate success.
Large freight ships put off nice wakes.
Cruise ships wakes up to 3 foot and steep.

The wings are just another way to foil. And for some it will be the best option.
But it is difficult to learn if you quit easy.
Dont be a whiner.
I would suggest trying to foil behind a boat as much as possible.
And if you kite foil then you will pick it up faster.

But there is a whole new set of muscle memory triggers that you don't know you have.
Combine the heavy chop of heavy wind, you get a bowling ball on top of a greased bowling ball....and holding on to the wing above your head.

I am very glad we use boards with soft shells and memory foam rails.
Saves the knees and shins.

The less chop the better.
Less challenge just getting to your feet initially.
If you have a high wind area with a flat and deep section (uncrowded too) then you have a gem for winging.

Return to “Wingsurfing”