Forum for kitesurfers
Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Surf kiteboard favorites

Postby Kitemanmuc » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:34 am

What in your opinions are some of the best kitesurf (directional) boards on the market for medium size waves but also some aerials?

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Surf kiteboard favorites

Postby or6 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:09 am

These guys produce awesome boards: https://appletreesurfboards.com/shop/ca ... iteboards/

I ride the Klokhouse Noseless. A friend rides the Applino. Both awesome, loose, terrific jumpers, good for freestyle, and still pretty solid waveriders until headhigh waves.

Or6
These users thanked the author or6 for the post:
Bill (Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:27 am)
Rating: 3.03%

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:41 am

my dream would be a Firewire Slater Omni in Helium the 5' 3, unfortunately not available in helium construction

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:22 pm

I got the opportunity to demo several brands of kite surfboards at AWSI and I was really impressed with the Eleveight (Pro Series) and Core surfboards. I think it was due to their PU constructions vs everyone else being EPS. For the Gorge chop, the ride qualities were quite noticeable. I'm now considering the Eleveight Escape Pro. I also like that Eleveight uses Futures fin boxes.
If money was no object, I'd get an Appletree. :thumb:
These users thanked the author Da Yoda for the post:
Kitemanmuc (Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:48 am)
Rating: 3.03%

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:07 pm

Kitemanmuc wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:34 am
What in your opinions are some of the best kitesurf (directional) boards on the market for medium size waves but also some aerials?
Here we go again, what is the best this or the best that. Every shaper or manufacturer makes surfboards (or other things) to suit their personal preferences, riding conditions or feeling which is different for each individual. If there was the best shape, well, all the boards would be the same.

The typical answer to this kind of question is as usual (and understandably) different for every poster :o .

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:20 pm

windmaker wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:07 pm
Kitemanmuc wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:34 am
Here we go again, what is the best this or the best that. Every shaper or manufacturer makes surfboards (or other things) to suit their personal preferences, riding conditions or feeling which is different for each individual. If there was the best shape, well, all the boards would be the same.

The typical answer to this kind of question is as usual (and understandably) different for every poster :o .
I am interested in that. Maybe the topic just isn't for you.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:39 pm

After trying numerous boards over the last 10 years, my favorites have been the Firewire FST stock surfboards with modifications to the deck. A local repair shop in San Diego(Joe Roper's) modifies them with an extra 4 or 6 ounce glass added to the deck plus an additional 4 or 6 ounce patch where your front foot goes. Very durable, yet still fairly light. The stock Firewire kiteboards in FST were too heavy IMO(sold mine after light use). Firewire has discontinued the FST technology and I still haven't tried the new Helium technology. Instead, I just look for used FST shapes on craigslist and take them to Roper. Currently, I have a Sweet Potato, Tomo Nano, and Lost Rocket V2, all in FST technology and am pretty satisfied. Although I'm always on Craigs fishing for other FST shapes.

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:45 pm

I'm also interested in PU core boards now, having been learning with an airush bamboo flytec for the last two summers i'm really now noticing the harsh feel through chop.

Money no object, the 5'1 core 720 would get a demo.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:59 am

They are expensive, though comparing them to other carbon boards, like a Mitu, they're in the same price range. And they last a lot longer...(hopefully).

But yeah, it's a ton of money. For me, it was the biggest single buy I ever did for skateboarding. I buy last years kites, or secondhand. I don't like buying secondhand surfboards much...I never regretted the buy. The boards acceleration, response and balance in the air make me smile every session. It's not perfect....but close.

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:49 am

Da Yoda wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:22 pm
I got the opportunity to demo several brands of kite surfboards at AWSI and I was really impressed with the Eleveight (Pro Series) and Core surfboards. I think it was due to their PU constructions vs everyone else being EPS. For the Gorge chop, the ride qualities were quite noticeable. I'm now considering the Eleveight Escape Pro. I also like that Eleveight uses Futures fin boxes.
Thanks man! That’s what’s I have right now, the Escape. Love the board, really great. How do you feel it handles medium size waves up to 6-8 feet?

Return to “Kitesurfing”