Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

NHP Split Foil, A good idea or too much to ask for?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Alvaro
Medium Poster

NHP Split Foil, A good idea or too much to ask for?

Postby Alvaro » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:38 pm

Hi,
What are your thoughts on Nobile's 2020 Twin Tip Split Foil.
Could it be a decent TT, and a decent foil board or it's just wishful thinking to think that we can have both in one?

Thank you

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: NHP Split Foil, A good idea or too much to ask for?

Postby elguapo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:04 pm

Alvaro wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:38 pm
Hi,
What are your thoughts on Nobile's 2020 Twin Tip Split Foil.
Could it be a decent TT, and a decent foil board or it's just wishful thinking to think that we can have both in one?

Thank you

a split...twintip foilboard.
where do i sign up?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:09 am

I’ve been asking custom board builders for the last couple years to make exactly this so I’m pretty stoked. I’m sure there will be compromises and it looks like they’re still using M6 mounting inserts so I wouldn’t jump it but this will be the ultimate travel board. I’m curious on the weight. Looks like decent rocker so good pop and chop protection on twintip. I hope the mounting is back enough that it’s useable for my 633. I’m assuming that it will be similar to the infinity so strapless should be no problem and since I won’t jump it, I don’t care that the straps will be too far back. I’ll be buying one.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:35 am

For sure wanted by many, but ...

... I still don't see any solution in the video to solve the basic problem:
It will be to stiff for a twintip and to soft for a foilboard.
This was my experience, when I tried this 5 years ago and also the experience from people who tried the neilpryde one design dings what ever it was called ...

... if the basic problem to be able to switch between stiffnesses isn't solved, I think it will just be another confidence trickster
The only one as far I know who tried to reinforce, in this case a directional, for foil use with an extra plate was marc shin, but impression from outside was even here not so succesful, as it is also not just screwing another board under it, but having the load flow for both situation prepared within the construction without to much of extra material (weight) but also without creating weak points in one of the modes ... in my eyes not easy.

But interested to hear if Nobile seriously solved it, till now the impression is: No :-?

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:14 pm

20kts
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Cherry Beach - Toronto
Style: Foil Freeride
Gear: Moses T22 / 633 Wing / 91 cm mast 12/9/7m Souls & 4m Peak 4
SKShapes bar

Postby 20kts » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:09 am
I’ve been asking custom board builders for the last couple years to make exactly this so I’m pretty stoked. I’m sure there will be compromises and it looks like they’re still using M6 mounting inserts so I wouldn’t jump it but this will be the ultimate travel board. I’m curious on the weight. Looks like decent rocker so good pop and chop protection on twintip. I hope the mounting is back enough that it’s useable for my 633. I’m assuming that it will be similar to the infinity so strapless should be no problem and since I won’t jump it, I don’t care that the straps will be too far back. I’ll be buying one.
Yes - bit of a downside if the mount isn't back far enough unless you use the nobile wings.

I did try a 633 on the zen foil and I was quite a lot further forward on it as a result of the increased lift. Certainly ridable but being able to move it back would have been a huge plus. btw... don't see the new nobile wings listed anywhere yet.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:58 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:35 am
For sure wanted by many, but ...

... I still don't see any solution in the video to solve the basic problem:
It will be to stiff for a twintip and to soft for a foilboard.
This was my experience, when I tried this 5 years ago and also the experience from people who tried the neilpryde one design dings what ever it was called ...

... if the basic problem to be able to switch between stiffnesses isn't solved, I think it will just be another confidence trickster
The only one as far I know who tried to reinforce, in this case a directional, for foil use with an extra plate was marc shin, but impression from outside was even here not so succesful, as it is also not just screwing another board under it, but having the load flow for both situation prepared within the construction without to much of extra material (weight) but also without creating weak points in one of the modes ... in my eyes not easy.

But interested to hear if Nobile seriously solved it, till now the impression is: No :-?
Total agreement here. Hack on both fronts. It solves a travel and portability problem for sure but its a compromise on actual performance. I would rather pay the extra to transport the right gear because the quality of the session is most important. If the travel constraints are so big as to trump all else....then its a good solution.

Return to “Hydrofoil”