Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Chrono V3 Vs Flysurfer Soul

For all foil kite riders
Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Chrono V3 Vs Flysurfer Soul.

Postby Foil » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:40 am

slide wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:38 pm
is this correct - adjuster trimmed for full power , depower fully powered, and the 2 outside lines on the bar and the 2 middle lines should all line up , I know my brand new flying lines are the same , I could do the test with the flying lines included when i'm at the beach ,but I don't have the room here, and the depower length should be 500mm on all these kites to do the test properly , is that right ?
as far as I know yes that right, well for nearly all kites including foils and Lei kites used for watersports, maybe only a few exceptions made nowadays like the carbrina lei kites which differ still I believe,
I dont know of any others made recently which differ from the normal equal length on all lines when on full power setting.
but if anyone knows another brand which uses odd line set ups then lets hear it :thumb:
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
slide (Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:05 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Tom Tom
Medium Poster

Postby Tom Tom » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:06 am

Supposed to look like this - fixate all flying lines (at the kite end) at same level. Walk back to bar, ensure de-Power system is set to max Power (no de-Power). Grab and pull bar to stretch lines. Chicken loop should sit pulled up against bottom of bar and all four lines be equally tensioned. Note that what normally happens is that (please do not start arguing, measure against a brand new line set if you want, it is not front line stretch, its is rear line shrinking that is your problem) rear lines shrink over time. They can be re-stretched by applying considerable force. I usually rig the full line set and tension them together using a 2 or 3 reduction pulley system, then hang my body weight mid length in the shorter (steering) lines to stretch until they have re-gained front line length.
Attachments
980A94A7-0194-4674-8B39-802F2802CA1C.jpeg
These users thanked the author Tom Tom for the post:
slide (Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:08 am)

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:25 am

a big thx to adventure logs , foil, and tom tom , now I understand how to set the bars up , and I will go up my local field today (unfortunately very small) with the lines and bars and set them up properly , you say the soul is better with 2cm shorter steering lines as opposed to standard set up , plz explain what the difference is , I only landboard , i'm a diabetic so I need to be able to stop if my sugars go low and I need to treat my hypo , which makes kitesurfing impossible, but thankyou all so much , you have really helped me

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
Kraken fuse 703k

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,

Postby Foil » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:29 am

jakemoore wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:40 pm
dave1986 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:35 am
13m Chrono V3 Ultralight is here... Just need some free time and wind to give it it's first flight! :D
Would you consider to weigh it in grams before unrolling it getting it wet or sandy?
For information I have recorded my kite weights for the last year just over,
Straight out of the box weights brand new.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:17 am

slide wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:25 am
a big thx to adventure logs , foil, and tom tom , now I understand how to set the bars up , and I will go up my local field today (unfortunately very small) with the lines and bars and set them up properly , you say the soul is better with 2cm shorter steering lines as opposed to standard set up , plz explain what the difference is , I only landboard , i'm a diabetic so I need to be able to stop if my sugars go low and I need to treat my hypo , which makes kitesurfing impossible, but thankyou all so much , you have really helped me
The Soul kites can have up to 4cm shorter steering(outer) lines. I’ve heard but have not confirmed that Flysurfer is now releasing new Souls already with this built into the mixer.

As Tomtom stated, the steering lines will shrink overtime which leads to the kite being more prone to backstalling. With the steering lines being too long, your kite may tend to overfly you(fly past your head at 12). Just little indications in the kites behavior to tell you to do another bar check. I usually check my bar every 50 hours or so.

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:20 pm

longer steering lines means possible over steering , what reaction would you get if the steering lines are abit short ?
do you insure your kites , its even worse for kite surfers , its not really possible to keep an eye on your gear all the time , I'm thinking I might insure mine

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:34 pm

Foil wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:29 am
jakemoore wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:40 pm
dave1986 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:35 am
13m Chrono V3 Ultralight is here... Just need some free time and wind to give it it's first flight! :D
Would you consider to weigh it in grams before unrolling it getting it wet or sandy?
For information I have recorded my kite weights for the last year just over,
Straight out of the box weights brand new.
That's interesting to see that the single strut Alpha kites are similar weight(only slightly heavier) than the equivalent size Ultralight foil. I'm sure that new Aluula and similar high-tech composite materials will make LEIs perform better than foils in the coming years. But I suppose a 10m Foil has much more power than a 10m LEI?

Listen to this podcast (1hr) from the Ralf Grosel Duotone kite designer (ex Flysurfer). He makes some very interesting comments about the future of light weight kites.

On a separate topic, how do you find the Reos compared with the Alphas?
Last edited by dave1986 on Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:44 pm

Thank you. For the regular cloth Chrono V3 13m I measured 2626g.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
Tom Tom (Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:05 pm)

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kraken fuse 703k

Postby Foil » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:04 pm

dave1986 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:34 pm

But I suppose a 10m Foil has much more power than a 10m LEI?

On a separate topic, how do you find the Reos compared with the Alphas?
Yes, the 9mtr v3 chrono UL has even more punch than the 12 Alpha, and flying the chrono on short 18mtr lines really gives it more fun to use qualities, and the boosting on it in winds that Ttips would find impossible, the speed the kite builds in marginal winds beggars belief.

it was an interesting day yesterday at Rhosneigr, as the army had a weeks worth of racing and sailing on Ttips and foilboards going on, and I found out why all the army guys were using Ozone Reos Alphas and Zephyrs, they are sponsored by Ozone,
so good to see so many new kites and around, 7 foil boards in use, loads of Ttips and one lonely wind foil.
one of the army instructors who happens to be one of my sailing buddies was on a 8mtr soul, me on my 9mtr chrono, the Ttips were struggling on 12mtr Alphas and Reo kites, only the 17mtr Zephyrs were able to sail a little, our other kitefoil buddy Dave was on his 12 soul, and richie was foilboarding on a 12 Alpha.
such a mix of sizes, but i can confirm the smaller foils were ripping around and boosting like we were having a ball,
as all the lei kites fell out of the sky at one point in the afternoon, guess which kites just kept on delivering the power, and I was still able to boost big, ok so most of the falling lei kites were being used by relative beginners so not quite fair to compare.

As for Reos compared to Alphas, well large Reo kites are slow and heavy compared to the Alphas, but Reo kites of 9mtr and below are foil board gems, and can be used very well on Ttips, meaning they jump very well and are very stable, not qualities that you can rave about when using the Alphas, which are superb lightwind foilboard kites, with the easiest relaunch ever, unlike the big size Reo which is not,
for me the Alpha kites make less than great Ttip kites,
so best to use on the foilboard, or maybe a wave/skim board.

Now that I have much more confidence using my foil kites, with near 100% relaunch success in any wind, my last 3 small lei Reo kites were sent to Boardworx a few days ago for part exchange against a new 7mtr V2 Hyperlink to partner my other small Hyperlink Ul 5mtr v1,
even sent off my 2 pumps as well, as I am now happy when launching my smaller foils in silly strong winds, which to be honest scared the shi** out of me a short while ago,
but after learning the drill with my other more experienced foil kite using buddies then I am more than happy converting over to a 100% foil kite quiver,
even wifey Pauline, who used to get all tangled up in the bridles when launching and landing me, now loves the fuss free launching and landing and pack away process,
You just need to practice and get over all the mistakes you make, learn from them and don't panic when things go wrong.
And they do go wrong, its a whole new skill to learn! and it takes time.
but good god, it's worth it.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Re: Chrono V3 Vs Flysurfer Soul

Postby foilholio » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:04 pm

Uninteresting people?LOL It was though a little interesting. Whats that german word? Besserwisser, Ralf sounds like one of them or just a bit of an idiot. Though to give him some leeway I think maybe it's because his English is just a little poor. When you make statements like a paraglider and tube kite operate with different physics.....among one of many blunders. Whats interesting or more surprising is only 37000 kites from Duotone in a year, if I heard it right. Not surprising with such low volumes better talent is not available. Looking at some of the poor design in consumer products that sell 10s of millions each and I hold little hope for kite boarding.

Return to “Foil Kites”