Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Chrono V3 Vs Flysurfer Soul

Postby dave1986 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:34 pm

foilholio wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:04 pm
Uninteresting people?LOL It was though a little interesting. Whats that german word? Besserwisser, Ralf sounds like one of them or just a bit of an idiot. Though to give him some leeway I think maybe it's because his English is just a little poor. When you make statements like a paraglider and tube kite operate with different physics.....among one of many blunders. Whats interesting or more surprising is only 37000 kites from Duotone in a year, if I heard it right. Not surprising with such low volumes better talent is not available. Looking at some of the poor design in consumer products that sell 10s of millions each and I hold little hope for kite boarding.
Are you suggesting that 37,000 kite sales in a single year is a small number of kite sales? If so, do you mean a small number of kite sales compared to other kite brands? or a small number of sales compared to other non-watersports products? Personally I thought that 37,000 was a high number or kite sales for a single brand.

I Googled the word "Besserwisser", and it returned "Smart Aleck". I would agree that he did come across as a bit of a know it all, but also sounds like a very talented, hardworking and passionate individual... and he also confessed that he was perhaps a little too over-confident in his early years and would now do things differently.

What I find most interesting is the kite flying "machine" which Ralf mentions in the interview which has been invented to measure validate all kite flying characteristics.... I can 100% see how this will yield big improvements in kite designs... as we no longer need to rely only on a human's subjective feel when testing kites.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:35 pm

This is going little OT

but as with everything North Duotone never really push kite development /ok maybe click bar/ and always just catching.
He is talking about kite weight???? Now??? WTF. I sold my 2018 MONO which was marketed as light wind foilkite because it was way heavier than 3 strutters from other brands. And now he talking about kite weight? Now? Under which stone they were making heaviest kites on market like decade?
And now he is talking about interesting new material... This company just catching interesting trends and let other to do heavy R&D. Which engineer in North-DT was responsible to super plastic material /foil wings fuselage/ which just TOTALY doesnt work - waaay to soft?

And he is talking that they are they are approached from they supplier first /from all brands/. So this mean they can do kites from HDPE fibres fabric sooner than anybody.
So why they did not? Greed? Lazines?, Lack of courage, - or its call business?

North was always making just good enough kites. Nothing special.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:17 am

dave1986 wrote: Are you suggesting that 37,000 kite sales in a single year is a small number of kite sales?
It's obviously not small for kites, it is small for a product. There is 7,730,000,000 people in the world. Some single product/model sell 100,000,000's vs 37000 across many models.
dave1986 wrote: but also sounds like a very talented, hardworking and passionate individual
No doubt, but he is perhaps spread too thin and there is always better. The volume is the problem there is just not enough to sustain enough or the types of people needed.
dave1986 wrote: What I find most interesting is the kite flying "machine" which Ralf mentions in the interview which has been invented to measure validate all kite flying characteristics
It is good, most likely the work of the university of Berlin mentioned. Not a novel idea but needed especially when gains in performance become marginal.

tomtom wrote: but as with everything North Duotone never really push kite development /ok maybe click bar/ and always just catching.

They bought the click design part, the silly tube part is probably their idea.
tomtom wrote: This company just catching interesting trends and let other to do heavy R&D
Copying is actually a very effective design method and very common in kiteboarding. It is hard to think without copying given the low volume if anything could be done in kiting. The west has given the effectiveness of China with it's liberal use of intellectual property, a need for reflection on how it continues with making ideas property. Personally I think our system is very stupid.
tomtom wrote: Which engineer in North-DT was responsible to super plastic material /foil wings fuselage/ which just TOTALY doesnt work - waaay to soft?
Maybe their board designer, umm forget his name but it doesn't surprise me. Why people waste money buying boards from "KITE" companies doesn't surprise me either. People can generally be stupid.
tomtom wrote: And he is talking that they are they are approached from they supplier first /from all brands/. So this mean they can do kites from HDPE fibres fabric sooner than anybody.
So why they did not? Greed? Lazines?, Lack of courage, - or its call business?
I think if you do some research you will find first to market is usually not the one to dominate the market.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:55 am

foilholio wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:17 am
I think if you do some research you will find first to market is usually not the one to dominate the market.
Well I really wish Ocean Rodeo great success with the Aluula material. Although they were of course not the first to try new materials. Best being the first with Cuben Fiber on the Hellfish.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:11 am

I know. But if if you take f.e. car busines f.e. mercedes isnt just catching skoda and better they ideas. Mercedes is really inovative and have courage to try new ideas materials etc. So do apple. Of course Duotone must doing something very good - thats why they are leading market and by far. But its not inovation in kitedesign.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:35 am

Aren’t duotone just leading the market as all their lites are suddenly on sale at 40% off so cheaper for younger crews to buy up at the mo?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:42 am

Its almost same for all brands. Nobody buy for full retail.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Re: Chrono V3 Vs Flysurfer Soul.

Postby dave1986 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:12 pm

Foil wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:29 am

For information I have recorded my kite weights for the last year just over,
Straight out of the box weights brand new.
I weighed my 13m and no surprise it's the same :thumb:

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:12 am

People are saying soul is more stable. No doubt it is. But I have 13m v2 chrono and it's also so super easy and stable. Haven't had any problems with instability. Other people also keep asking when I have dropped it to water, how did you manage it get it up :D I'm also wondering it by myself every time

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:33 am

jyka wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:12 am
People are saying soul is more stable. No doubt it is. But I have 13m v2 chrono and it's also so super easy and stable. Haven't had any problems with instability. Other people also keep asking when I have dropped it to water, how did you manage it get it up :D I'm also wondering it by myself every time
I suppose that both the Flysurfer Soul and the Ozone Hyperlink being lower aspect ratio will be more stable (but less high-performance) than the Ozone Chrono... It seems like the Chrono is somewhat of a middle ground performance free-ride kite between the highest performance race kites, and the more forgiving (but lower performance) kites.

Return to “Foil Kites”