Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Down Loop practice

Forum for kitesurfers
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Down Loop practice

Postby Herman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:07 pm

Pull strings wrote:
Best tip I can give you for bar control is the " push/pull method " using both hands on bar
With your hands half way from bar center start by pushing hard first with one hand then right away pull hard with the other and keep the bar angled strongly to make kite spin tightly
Good stuff from PullStrings. Once you get into it you can start to loop in different areas of the window to control pull direction etc. I would just say be a little careful with top hand pushing as you can hook your flying lines with the bar if you get too enthusiastic with the top hand.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
PullStrings (Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:57 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:02 pm

Herman wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:07 pm
I would just say be a little careful with top hand pushing as you can hook your flying lines with the bar if you get too enthusiastic with the top hand.
Yes...push/pull technique on the bar to downloop but try not to go much beyond a 60 degree angle ...good thing to add....thanks
If possible try also to have both hands closer to the center of the bar so that it will minimize chances of over cranking it

psz211
Rare Poster
Local Beach: SF
Gear: 13M Duotone Juice, 10M Duotone Evo SLS, 8M Duotone Rebel SLS, 6M Viron Flysurfer Closed Cell Foil. Crazy Fly XL board, North Prime Medium board, and Fone Trax small board
Been thanked: 0

Postby psz211 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:31 am

Hey all, had a super kite day, got my first loops on my 6m. Wind 10mph to 15mph. I'm around 185lbs. Started at 12 or 1pm and dropped it counter clockwise. Felt very safe and didn't get too much power with loop.
Trick for me was:
1) Pulling in the bar hard and holding it there while I crank my hands (was scared of choking kite before, but wasn't an issue)
2) Walking/Jogging downwind with the kite as I did this so I wasn't jolted (like getting dragged on water)
Even with doing these things, I didn't have much ground clearance for the kite. I probably just need more practice and tweaking.
The combination of the above two seemed to help me from diving the kite into the ground.

Going to practice figure 8 so I'm really confident, I feel like I see kite buggies doing this a lot.

Thanks again for the advice!

-Preston

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:45 am

You realize that if you are jogging downwind towards the kite that slackens the lines a bit and slows the loop a bit as well? Maybe don’t start downwind until after you start the loop to tighten it up and loop faster with less power.
Looping is counterintuitive, the harder you pull the bar, the tighter and weaker the loop.
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
psz211 (Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:54 am)
Rating: 3.03%

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:13 am

PullStrings wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:02 pm
Herman wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:07 pm
I would just say be a little careful with top hand pushing as you can hook your flying lines with the bar if you get too enthusiastic with the top hand.
Yes...push/pull technique on the bar to downloop but try not to go much beyond a 60 degree angle ...good thing to add....thanks
If possible try also to have both hands closer to the center of the bar so that it will minimize chances of over cranking it
Just wanted to note that looping with your hands near the center of the bar can result in a Lenten loop! Meaning you unintentionally rub your hands on the chicken loop and release mid-loop! It happened to me once and since then I only loop when I feel my pinkies pushing against the bar ends meaning my hands are as far away from the CL as possible! Yes it's possible to oversteer and stall the turn this way but better than accidental release.

Return to “Kitesurfing”