deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: sea anchor!

Postby deniska » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:17 pm

I just pump up my soul with a hear drier if I cannot fly it in the next few days..
20 minutes and it's completely dry

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:45 pm

This thread is too funny...

Any foil kiter swimming in would pickup so much sand on the beach that the kite would weight a ton.

That sand is not going out by itself. It is actually proven that some models will take a sand into TE seams and stay there forever.

FOREVER.

That is, if not getting a hose and wash it away. With limited results because it cannot be fully taken away from seams.

The salt is the worst enemy. It deposits and acting as abrasive with a fabric rubbing against it. No? It doesn't? Well, have a look under spreader bar webbings how much salt deposits are there!? Heaps on my harness, heaps. The fabric is all gone.

I cannot comprehend how someone would not take care of all equipment in touch with salt water, but carefully wash a boat every time after boating? Even fiberglass boats with PU coating.

What salt does to zips on Ozone foils is just ridicules. Good luck if not taking care of this. Every time, all the time.

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses

Postby PurdyKiter » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:18 pm

New to Souls, New to Kiteforum
Once again this forum has provided me with two completely opposite opinions. Salt vs Fresh.
A month ago I crashed my Soul, swam in flooded, no sand anywhere since it was also a boat rescue. "Dried" the Soul for 3 hours with a leaf blower which still left steamy droplets trapped inside. If this were fresh water it would have stained permanently like my old windsurfing sails. The Soul seems so air-tight when 3 hours and it's still damp. Now it's a month later and when I take it out of the bag there's still moisture, but no stains.

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:20 am

Janus wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:00 am
Pump me up wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:37 am
I’m following this thread with great interest ...
:pump:
I will feed you.
Of course you will follow this topic with great interest. :roll:

Get a live. :bye:
Not condoning the witch finder general but a quick check and it’s been a consistent crusade since 2003....maybe it’s time for him to face his fears....

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:42 am

Being quite new to the new generation of foil kites I have been amazed and very happy by how easy they are to relaunch in the lightest of winds,
incredible success rate for me, near 100% as long as there's a little wind and I dont panic then up they go with a little tweekon the lines and patience and of course, pulling the right lines at the right times.
Only had two failed attempts, one when the wind went weird and the kite twisted in on itself, but I was in the shallows so just gathered it up and held it high and walked in to untangle,
Once the kite fell when the wind died completely, but I detected it was happening, I made my way back to shore and only had a short swim in where my buddy was waiting to hold the kite above the sand and stuff it straight into its bag to keep the sticky sand at bay,

But yesterday I was caught in a complete wind shadow situation, where the wind went to zero, only around 50 meters away from shore, but deep water,
I did not even think about relaunch as it was clear that the wind was not there, not even 1 knot, no knots = no chance.

This was my chance to try my first deep water packdown, (dwpd), how hard could it be? 13mtr on 19mtr lines, immediately i started to roll my lines up and get to the kite, only took around a minute to get there, very easy up to now

my board was clipped onto a leash which I always carry in very light winds so no worries of the board getting away and drifting on the the large rocky outcrops which littler this area
once at the kite I I grabbed the end nearest to me and immediately started to roll up the kite around the bar,
I did for a moment move towards the other tip to maybe try and fold over the two wing ends together but i immediately changed my mind as the bridals were under the surface and it was clear I would get tangled up if i tried that, so just continued rolling up

but as the air was trapped, this became a slow roll until I got to the center large zip, got that open quite easily and pulled out the flap, and tried to keep it above the water with limited success, so quickly resumed the rolling up, then the kite became heavy and cumbersome, so I pulled my board close and laid the half rolled up kite lengthways on my board, now with the board between me and the kite it was fairly easy to keep rolling the kite up,
at around three quarters rolled up the remaining trapped are could only get out through the tiny velcro opening at the wing tip so i just started swimming in with one hand on the board which being a high volume 130cm board kept the very heavy wet kite well above the water,
as I got into near the shoreline my butty swam out and undid the tip velcro to remove the final bit of air,
he waded back in with the kite over his shoulder to keep it off the sand,
After a short while a little wind came back, only around 10mph so not great and my 13mtr was soggy wetdrying a little slowly on a grassy patch,
and i was not willing to lay it out on the sand for a relaunch,
but my choice was very limited as I had left my 15mtr back home and my 11mtr was only ordered a few days ago so this left me with my 9 or 5 mtr,
good time to try my 9 out in winds which were very low, but would the 9 work, time to find out,
short answer - no! it did not work,
then I found the wind shadow again, brilliant :-?
another chance to try my newly found dwpd skills, but this time with my smaller 9mtr, so without waiting I stated the bar and line roll up to kite,
I was quickly up to half of the kite wrapped around the bar,
this time I left the zip closed, I was left with with a tightly inflated half a 9mtr kite,
I placed the rolled up section on the board again with the board in between me and the kite, grabbed a foot strap through the kite material and started swimming to shore, easy to do and and as the kite started to get softer I rolled up a bit more, I kept all openings closed this time which worked better as the kite let in less water.
It was easy then to fold the last bit over my shoulder and wade into the shore, kite was wet but virtually dry inside with no heavy water sloshing around like I had with the 13mtr an hour before.
good day to learn the dwpd

Glad I had the opportunity to practice is safe conditions, but at the same time quite realistic

for information I always carry 3 mini rocket flares just in case.

when out away from the shore line I will now carry my homemade dayglo stuff bags, made in 2 sizes, one for a large kite and one for smaller kites, both made from thin light kite material bought cheaply of Ebay, this may be very useful whilst on holiday in fuerteventura, must be easier to be rescued with the kite in a bright day glo bag, chuck it in the rescue rib and not worry about getting it damaged.

this exercise has made me wonder about how much harder it would have been to do the DWPD with a low volume small board, the wet kite in the water is virtually impossible to swim with,
volume was my friend during my practice sessions.
Last edited by Foil on Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:22 pm

About drying the kite in the sun, always remember that direct sun is a killer on any kind of tissue. Unless it's competely wet, it's better to leave the kite in a shadowed zone with a good air circulation.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:26 pm

Direct sun is good for drying kites. Think about it you ride for what 6 hours in a day that is when the sun really bakes the kite and the UV radiation gets to the thread. When you dry the kite in direct sunlight it's out there for maybe 15 or 20 minutes, it dries it out completely and also kills any mold that might have gotten on the fabric.

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings
Has thanked: 0

Postby Johhnn » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:24 pm

I leave my foil kites hanging in my basement with dehumidifier running overnight. Even after a swim in with the kite, it will be dry inside. Well maybe after a swim it takes more like 24 hours. But I think this is a better way than leaving the kite in the sun. I've done this with the Lotus material and with the ordinary material used in the R1V2's.

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings
Has thanked: 0

Postby Johhnn » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:32 pm

What downunder writes about the kite not being able to be relaunched after a swim is not correct. I've done this. After getting the water out, I've launched and flown the kite to dry it, then continued with my session. He is correct about sand getting permanently trapped in the trailing edge, however. This is only a minor nuisance.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:56 pm

My SKYWALK CHILI paraglider , recommends Ya dry it in the shade , if
it ever gets damp or wet ; i (Wonder - Why) they said that?

Bille

Return to “Foil Kites”