Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: February Foil Destination - Caribbean

Postby elguapo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:22 pm

Tony wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:55 pm
Thanks for all the input. San Andres Island looks really good. Wish it was easier to get to, think I'd rule it out for that, looking at 7-10 days.
Turks or Cayman is probably a better fit, I'd want to stay at Long Beach or Barkers though, the girls would be fine with quieter and we/they can easily get to the busier spots when needed/wanted 8)
Any recommendations on places to stay? Leaning towards Turks but not ruling out Cayman Islands (or other spots).
https://www.theshoreclubtc.com/

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:18 pm

TomW wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:23 pm
What's the wind like in turks during Nov -March? Long bay looks nice
Nov-March is "the season" for kiteboarding in the TCI. The easterly trade winds blow reliably during those months (and pretty much year-round). Rental rates for accommodations are highest mid-December through mid-January. Generally, winds on Long Bay are steady, but moderate (12 meter kites and larger). It's mostly flat water riding. The tides make it difficult to hydrofoil during low tide (very shallow unless you go far out). The kite schools are busiest during low tide. At high tide, Long Bay is still just chest-deep. There is no significant wave riding (Grace Bay has a reef off-shore where some ride). There are a lot of island hopping options with a boat. :thumb:

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 100 Pies
Local Beach: Holbox, or wherever I end up.
Favorite Beaches: Clee, Lytham, Holbox, Kappalady, Vella Island, Alankuda, Keros, Long Bay - Turks and Caicos, Rawai, OBX
Style: Foil, surf, freerace, ski, landboard
Gear: Axis Tray 94cm -MIA
Axis 545-MIA, 660 and 1000
Axis 96cm mast -MIA
Moses 633/483 and diy pocket board with C72 mast.
18m Slingshot Phantom
9m Core X Lite
7m Edge V8
6m HK Fury Pro
Axis 136 limited
Airush Sector V3 60
Brand Affiliation: Holbox Kiteboarding school manager

Postby Jugglajon » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:07 am

Isla Holbox Mexico or Tulum Mexico, great foiling conditions. Im based in Holbox so am biased but im based there for a reason ;) .. Tulum is great for wave foiling. Holbox is without significan waves but has more consistent wind. February is a great month to come.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:53 am

i looked into holbox(but didnt go)...where do folks foil there? (looked like shallow waters at the known launches on woo)

i have done el cuyo and sisal on that area... both are awesome clear water locations.
tulum is equally awesome for different reasons (the mayan ruins on coast)
everyone know la ventana..
sisal i like especially since you can fly to merida airport instead of that tourist trap they call cancun.
around puerto vallarta you could surf world class swell in the mornings @Sayulita..then kite the afternoons @ Bucerías

imo, mexico is criminally underrated as country to kitesurf.
not only are already there multiple world class kite locations... the spots are variable enough that it seems like there is always somewhere currently in season.

plus mexicans REALLY know how to cook. the food was outstanding(especially in baja area). (i always have to go on a strict diet after leaving)

TangTonic
Rare Poster
Local Beach: St. Croix
Style: all
Gear: Wainman

Shinn

Postby TangTonic » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:04 pm

I would recommend St. Croix, US Virgin Islands! That's where I live.

We have everything you could possibly want. Flat water, waves, downwinders. Not many kiters here so no worries about Cabarete like crowds. Plus many other ocean and shore-based activities. Excellent dining, friendly locals, affordable accommodations. No passport needed, direct flights from many US airports.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Clee, Lytham, Holbox, Kappalady, Vella Island, Alankuda, Keros, Long Bay - Turks and Caicos, Rawai, OBX
Axis 96cm mast -MIA
18m Slingshot Phantom
9m Core X Lite
7m Edge V8
6m HK Fury Pro
Axis 136 limited
Airush Sector V3 60

Postby Jugglajon » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:12 am

Hi El guapo,
Its a shame that when you looked into foiling on Holbox you didn't find out that its a real gem. But its not the first time I've heard the myth of Holbox being to shallow to foil. (always perpetuated by someone who hasn't foiled there)

So lets bust that myth...
Yes there is a shallow lagoon of 100m that you need to walk past... After that you have 1.5 m to 3m deep water for miles. This keeps the big chop and swell away. A bummer if you like waves but fantastic for progression and learning. I learnt to foil there in 2015 and find few places that compare for wind consistency and easy water conditions. I like el cuyo but love Holbox for its foiling conditions. I've foiled between from Holbox to El Cuyo so have seen the two spots on the same day with the same wind conditions.
Here are a couple of vids showing typical conditions. There is no reef to worry about. The black patches you see in the vids are sea grass that is to deep to hit once you get more than 50m from shore.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:40 am

Jugglajon wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:12 am
Hi El guapo,
Its a shame that when you looked into foiling on Holbox you didn't find out that its a real gem. But its not the first time I've heard the myth of Holbox being to shallow to foil. (always perpetuated by someone who hasn't foiled there)

So lets bust that myth...
Yes there is a shallow lagoon of 100m that you need to walk past... After that you have 1.5 m to 3m deep water for miles. This keeps the big chop and swell away. A bummer if you like waves but fantastic for progression and learning. I learnt to foil there in 2015 and find few places that compare for wind consistency and easy water conditions. I like el cuyo but love Holbox for its foiling conditions. I've foiled between from Holbox to El Cuyo so have seen the two spots on the same day with the same wind conditions.
Here are a couple of vids showing typical conditions. There is no reef to worry about. The black patches you see in the vids are sea grass that is to deep to hit once you get more than 50m from shore.

My wife wants to go to Playa del Carmen in early Feb, just trying to figure out what my options are and whether I should push for Tulum or Holbox... one of her highest priorities is a nice relaxing / calm hotel... I'm hoping for wind :)

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Axis 96cm mast -MIA
18m Slingshot Phantom
9m Core X Lite
7m Edge V8
6m HK Fury Pro
Axis 136 limited
Airush Sector V3 60

Postby Jugglajon » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:00 am

Im biased but would defiinitley push for holbox. casa las tortugas or mawimbi

Stefan1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka
Fonte Da Telha, Portugal
Lagoa de Obidos, Portugal
Favorite Beaches: Lagoa de Obidos, Guincho Portugal
Style: waveriding
Gear: Naish Boxer
Brand Affiliation: North, Naish, Mystic, Ride Engine Portugal

Postby Stefan1 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:55 pm

Jugglajon wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:07 am
Isla Holbox Mexico or Tulum Mexico, great foiling conditions. Im based in Holbox so am biased but im based there for a reason ;) .. Tulum is great for wave foiling. Holbox is without significan waves but has more consistent wind. February is a great month to come.
Hi Jugglajon
Thank you for the information you have provided about kitesurfing in Tulum. What the kitesurfing school would you recommend to go to?

I am a professional kiteboarding instructor and will be coming with a group of friends and not sure if I will be allowed to give the lessons in the area, what do you think?
Do you know if the schools are taking groups to Holbox or some other flat water spots or if they teach at the Tulum beach with the cross on or onshore wind, which is not easy for sure. So I have already booked the villa for the group and now trying to find out what would be the best way to do the lessons at the area.

Thank you for the information

Return to “Hydrofoil”