Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Sometimes straps are the right choice

Postby tautologies » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:28 pm

Look at the conditions...sometimes straps are the right choice. :thumb:
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post (total 3):
AndersP (Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:48 pm) • Peter_Frank (Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:05 pm) • Flyboy (Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:16 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

caps
Medium Poster

Re: Sometimes straps are the right choice

Postby caps » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:40 pm

Looks like the Oregon coast on a winter day... But seriously, awesome riding!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:52 pm

caps wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:40 pm
Looks like the Oregon coast on a winter day... But seriously, awesome riding!
Yeah, I rode OR coast on a 2x day strapless...that was a bit painful :-) Straps that day would have been so much better.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:58 pm

Hi is ANIMAL!!!

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:28 pm

At Last !! the courage to buck the trend.

Strapless is fun, I like it a lot, but since it became the cool thing to do, I wonder if riders new to riding Directionals without straps are missing out on Boosting, Loops, Hard charging in challenging conditions, that straps allow........ at least until they ride strapless on the easy days and practice their Airton, Mitu, skills ?

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:05 pm

Watch the vid and you will see that he is NOT REALLY SURFING!!!

Straps suck and only losers use them when surfing with a kite. And here is why:

1. Straps make you go to fast so you don't get that slow "limited to wave power" feel of real surfing
2. Straps are waaaayyyyy toooo much of a roller coaster ride for it to be considered surfing - you lose that gentle wave feel
3. You can't move your feet around on the board - and in the vid it is clear that especially when he is backrolling that he could have moved his rear foot about a 2cm further forward, but he just pried up on the strap instead - so again, it is not surfing
4. Straps let you do tricks instantaneously without pre-planning and set up - that is cheating since you have to pretty much plan everything and set it up in advance when strapless
5. Straps let you do aerial maneuvers that you can't do strapless - kitesurfers must stick to "bottom turn, smack the lip, rinse, repeat" or they are not really surfing
6. Strapless riders fall off of the board all the time, just like surfing - If you ride with straps, there are just too many strapless riders down in the surf in front of you - and you have no excuse to fall off and go swimming with them
7. And no one that is cool is riding straps - Kevin just went down a notch in every real kitesurfers opinion, and if that is not true in your opinion, you are uncool

ESL forum users - total sarcasm above.

I was blue pilled just like all of the other wannabes. Yup, that means I was a wannabe back when I started on a kitesurfboard. I wanted to be a cool strapless rider. And I got pretty good doing it. Then, over the course of an entire summer kitesurfing strapless, I saw the light and took the "red pill". I have not seriously ridden strapless for years. And yes, I am uncool by every strapless rider's standards. I also don't just "bottom turn, smack the lip". I do more - so lots of riders say I am not really surfing. And that is the best part.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
jonysan (Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:43 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:30 pm

I also love strapless, but I also love straps. In big waves and excessive chop I like straps better.

That backroll off the wave is just soooo sweet. With a little grab, it would tick every style box for me. It might just be my next trick....which I will undoubtedly fail.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post:
jonysan (Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:43 pm)

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:23 pm

Great video! I suspect these are the kind of conditions most SB riders encounter most of the time: big waves only come with big wind, which means, lots of white water & churning chop. Very different from perfect down-the-line waves like One Eye. It is true that the very best strapless riders, like Airton & Mitu have the skills to deal with pretty much any conditions ... but the average decently skilled rider? Not so much.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:55 pm

For me doing strapless in those conditions was part of the kick, and it ain't really that hard. But for jumping and freestyling a bit I understand straps are probably the way to go.
These users thanked the author Faxie for the post:
jonysan (Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:11 pm)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:48 pm

Faxie wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:55 pm
For me doing strapless in those conditions was part of the kick, and it ain't really that hard. But for jumping and freestyling a bit I understand straps are probably the way to go.
haha I totally get that...but then again what is the most epic part..it is managing to get out and then make the drop or is it to dominate the wave where getting to that drop is easier? It just depends on factors like conditions and location I guess. Making the drop in ultra bumpy 2x overhead onshore and cold waters is very different from doing it in clean 2x overhead warm water side off.

Last time I was out in big waves and strapless my experience was the former of the two. For me, a strapped endeavor would be preferred for the most part even if I actually did it strapless.

Return to “Kitesurfing”