Quick Flight

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: Quick Flight

Postby NYKiter » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:26 pm

Yup.....constantly installing a foil on a board can actually ruin the mast track....my last dwarf left track cracked and fell off from tightening after 8 months.....

:nooo:

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:28 am

My understanding is the first generation of Naish Abracadabra worked ok but developed slop over time. They say the new one is better.

Quick Flight looks like a variation on the same theme. Hopefully it will be better than the first Naish and at least as good as the new one.

Honestly the market going to aluminium foils and track mounts is absurd. They only do it because it is a little bit cheaper and they're trying to get market share.

I have carbon foils with deep tuttle mast connections. I do a full assembly every session. I have two masts and two foils and they have about 250 sessions each. No sign of wear. No problems. Amazingly light weight. No real maintenance. I sand out scratches in the wings. I replace the screws every 100 sessions or so. Torx screws seem to last much better.

The cost of a full kit is only a few hundred dollars more than aluminium.

riddim1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Naish, Firewire, Duotone, Lift
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby riddim1 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:18 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:28 am
My understanding is the first generation of Naish Abracadabra worked ok but developed slop over time. They say the new one is better.

Quick Flight looks like a variation on the same theme. Hopefully it will be better than the first Naish and at least as good as the new one.

Honestly the market going to aluminium foils and track mounts is absurd. They only do it because it is a little bit cheaper and they're trying to get market share.

I have carbon foils with deep tuttle mast connections. I do a full assembly every session. I have two masts and two foils and they have about 250 sessions each. No sign of wear. No problems. Amazingly light weight. No real maintenance. I sand out scratches in the wings. I replace the screws every 100 sessions or so. Torx screws seem to last much better.

Hi Ozbungy

I have come from a track mount set-up with 14 bolts/screws to a carbon set up with 4 screws total. I am a sucker for simplicity and I’m on the water quicker than most now. I too run a carbon foil with a deep Tuttle mast. I still strip down each session and clean but that is just me.Although strong and efficient, having the deep Tuttle connection is very limiting with board selection. I struggle with the idea of going back to track mounts the the extra screws :(

I’d like to try different boards eventually with deep tuttle connections. Which board are you using and can you recommend others with the same connection.

Cheers!

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:01 am

I have a J Shapes 120cm freeride board as my main board. I started on a J Shapes 155cm board and kept it as a spare when I bought the 120. Lately I have been riding the 155cm when the wind is light and have found it to be huge amounts of fun. So stable and really good when riding on the surface.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:50 am

riddim1 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:18 pm
OzBungy wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:28 am

Hi Ozbungy

I have come from a track mount set-up with 14 bolts/screws to a carbon set up with 4 screws total. I am a sucker for simplicity and I’m on the water quicker than most now. I too run a carbon foil with a deep Tuttle mast. I still strip down each session and clean but that is just me.Although strong and efficient, having the deep Tuttle connection is very limiting with board selection. I struggle with the idea of going back to track mounts the the extra screws :(

I’d like to try different boards eventually with deep tuttle connections. Which board are you using and can you recommend others with the same connection.

Cheers!

4 screws in total, amazing, which is that?

I know Spotz had one only for the front wing once (but it could fall off also), but can not remember the others, I believe there was 2 for the Tuttle connection, and 1 or 2 for the mast/fuselage, and 2 for the stabilizer?

I got 6 screws in total on mine (Ketos), 1 for the mast/board, 1 for the mast/fuselage, 2 for the wing/fuselage, and 2 for the stabilizer/fuselage.

So getting down to 4 only sounds amazing :D

I often only take the board and foil apart, one screw then.
And other times also the "flyer", meaning the fuselage with wings, disconnect it from the mast, 1 screw more.
Then it can all be stored flat in the car, and I can choose the desired combo mast length / flyer / board I want the next time I go out.
Changing wings is 2 screws, so takes a little longer.

8) Peter

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:37 am

J Shapes. Two screws for deep tuttle at the top of the mast. Two screws for tuttle mount between mast and fuselage. Zero screws for one piece wing, fuselage and stabiliser.

Gofoil also has 4 screws. Two at the top of the deep tuttle mast. The fuselage is integrated into the mast. One screw each for wing and stabiliser to secure to taper fit shafts on the fuselage.

My car is a Subaru Outback. The masts go in the back just inside the tailgate. Plastic tub and 3-4 kites across the back up against the back seat. 1-2 one piece foils lay flat on top of the kites, wedged under the luggage screen. The 120cm board goes on it's side across the back on top of the masts. Cover everything and close the tailgate.

All the boards and foils are in padded bags. That protects the gear and the interior of my car.

There's also a 5 litre container of hot water wrapped in a towel in the back. After a session I like to wash myself down with the hot water and dry off with a warm towel.

All this leaves the back seat and passenger seat empty, although spare clothes and sunglasses and junk tend to spread out a bit. Sometimes I might take a 155cm foilboard, and a kite surfboard depending on conditions and where I am going.

I prefer to take as little extra gear as possible. I love 30+ knot days when I can turn up with just one set of foiling gear and a single 4m kite.

At home the boards and kites slot into a rack hanging from the garage roof. The foils go onto a shelf in a cupboard. As I said, part of the pleasure of foiling is having this set of gear that can handle anything I want to do, but it doesn't take over my house or my car.

riddim1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Naish, Firewire, Duotone, Lift

Postby riddim1 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:49 am

Yup. I also run the JShapes gear. 70/95 mast, Cruzer Foil and Pocket 100 Board.

Loving the simplicity of it all with the 4 bolts as Ozbungy has explained.

I have scaled back to just the one kite now (7m Slash) as it does me from 12-22 knots with the foil and up to 30 knots on the surfboard (I’m 85 pies).

I cannot find any other Deep Tuttle equiped gear that would meet my expectations. I am more than satisfied with my JShapes gear at this stage however I may struggle to match the simplicity (quick flight) when it comes time to up-grade.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:07 am

In terms of upgrade, I am looking at Mike's Lab and Chubanga race foils. They're deep tuttle and one piece fuselage. They are both very expensive. Cabrinha are promoting the AV8 as a race foil and it looks to be deep tuttle and one piece fuse. It's about AUD$3100 but there are only taking pre-orders. I want to see it and hopefully try it before buying.

I terms of "upgrade" I really can't see anything that offers a better freeriding experience than the J Shapes Cruzer. Mine has 370 hours on it and still looks brand new. If it broke I would just buy another cruiser.

I have recently started riding the J Shapes Freeride a bit more often, and more powered up and "pretending" to be a racer. It's not the fastest foil in the world, but it feels nice. There is so much to learn in foiling and I can't see exhausting the capabilities of my J Shapes gear anytime soon.

I am a bit suspicious about the whole no strut Cloud kite thing. It all sounds a bit culty to me. But, I love using my J Shapes gear so much and I am so happy with how it works and performs. I feel sorry for people who are forced to ride all the other brands of gear. I would gladly drink the J Shapes Kool-Aid.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:35 pm

Oh, that explains, you dont take it apart as it can not be disassembled.

Your flyer is one piece.

But then you use 4 screws where only 2 is needed, which is twice as fast :rollgrin:

8) Peter

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses

Postby PurdyKiter » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:37 pm

Has anyone found a quick-connect solution for Moses? Specifically the Mose Onda 91 to the Moses T-38 without tracks (4 holes). The 4 bolts, then washers, the Italian nuts can be a real pain on a windy dust blown sandy beach day.

Return to “Hydrofoil”