Aluula? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Forum for kitesurfers
Kitenuovoman
Medium Poster
Gear: All
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby Kitenuovoman » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:05 pm

but are you really discussing with this foil fan? is clearly a keyboard frustrated .. don't let these people check you out.
when they continue to reiterate the superiority of the foils in the wave or freestyle it is obvious that they are beginners looking for excuses. :jump:

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:17 pm

Can the foil guy please shut up and take his crap to another post......and people stop engaging him
this actually was an interesting thread about a cool and interesting innovation to tube kites.
if we wanted to ride foil kites we'd be riding foils already.....they've been around foreveer....they will still be around after aluula
it's like a damn religious person coming door to door and trying to convert me...
I'm happy you found something in life that makes you happy.....now get off my porch....your being an irritating human being.
These users thanked the author Johnny Rotten for the post (total 7):
SENDIT! (Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:49 pm) • jumptheshark (Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:14 pm) • or6 (Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:23 pm) • iriejohn (Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:25 pm) • Kees (Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:12 am) • Digdawg (Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:41 am) • ThickAir (Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:26 pm)
Rating: 21.21%

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:49 pm

Johnny Rotten wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:17 pm
it's like a damn religious person coming door to door and trying to convert me...
I'm happy you found something in life that makes you happy.....now get off my porch....your being an irritating human being.
Just drink the Kook-Aid Johnny....
You realize this new material could potentially displace foils as the light wind masters of the universe.
This is very troubling news for some.

Universe-People-Art-alien-friends-header.jpg
Universe-People-Art-alien-friends-header.jpg (177.63 KiB) Viewed 1687 times
P.S. Please stop wasting innocent lives of trees with your pamphlets stuck in my door. That's so 1982. Just spam me online like everyone else.

Many thanks.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:00 am

Here is a useful feature for dealing with forum pests ucp.php?i=zebra&mode=foes&add=foilholio

PS I'm sure there are lots of kite designers that copy each other. Surely that is the sign of a good designer to recognise good ideas and incorporate and develop them. The ultimate test is the existence of successful products in the market place.

In my own experience most so called innovations in kiting (and paragliders) have been tried by designers and shelved for future development. There is very little that is totally new. That's why Aluula is so interesting. It might live up to it's promise, or it might be a disappointment.

It is bizarre to single out Armin Harich as a primary innovator. He's a legend to be sure and Flysurfer make great products. The original Flysurfer Warrior looked beautiful but were garbage. Other foil designers were producing fantastic kites in those day. Even now, how could you suggest that the design resources of Ozone, Gin, Advance or others are in any way second to Flysurfer and Armin? Currently Ozone pretty much own the race foil and race paraglider markets.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:
Zandman (Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:29 am)
Rating: 3.03%

ap888
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Zion/K peir/Inver/Goderich
Favorite Beaches: Good wind/Flat water/Good waves
Style: Foil/Loops/Big Air/Strapless
Gear: Ozone Uno V2 4m
North Neo (17) 5m
Cabrinha Drifter (16) 8m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 -11m
Moses
BWS Stallion 5’
CrazyFly Shox Custom 135
Groove Skate
Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: HFL

Postby ap888 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:39 am

Kiteforum is going downhill lol that's why haven't been on lately everyone calm down stop :argue: don't feed the people that want to be fed ignore them...they just want someone to react to there negative comments :lol: :lol: :lol: would really like to read about Aluula reviews info or someone who has flown one not ppl :argue:

atomic-chomik
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:14 am

I for one am optimistic about the material and how OR is gong to put it to use. Aluula bladders and LE...sounds like the 12m kite promise may become realty. I will say this, I live and kite where OR is located(yes i know them and they are a great crew)-there are few places where's conditions are harder on gear. We kite in places with blast rock, Himalayan blackberry(clothing and flesh ripping thorns), gourse and other gnarly spiky plants, guerrilla launches, cold gales with severe gusty winds, and many more fun hazards. The testing they have been doing on this stuff is intensive no doubt.

Im looking forward to seeing my buddies who can afford one rip around and take advantage of this wonder material...sort of lol

RagingGrandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Style: TT, HF, SB, snow, ice
Gear: nothing special

Postby RagingGrandpa » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:22 pm

I flew the 2020 Black Flite 14.5m this past weekend in 13kt wind with a TT @ a demo event in Michigan.
(OR- thanks for coming to KOGL!)

I previously owned and loved a 2015 Flite 14.5m for use in the same conditions. (The 2015 Flite still had a remarkably low mass...)

Positive observations:
+ More responsive to steering inputs = I can sine the kite faster and more effectively in underpowered conditions.

Neutral observations:
+ Makes the same power for a given size, in steady-state cruising. (I didn't get the foilkite 'wow' feeling of more power per size.)
+ LE coating feels like a rubberized whitewater raft or inflatable SUP. (But thinner, of course.) This is novel.

It was a positive impression. Kite buddy and I spent the ride home discussing
"If you could have a 12m Soul or a 14.5m Aluula for about the same money, which would you pick?"
If the wind dies, I'd rather swim with the Flite, so that's my answer...

(no brand affiliation)

A side note- I don't think any traditional LE is "puncture resistant"- dune grass grows with sharp chutes here, and every LEI I've made the mistake of putting in the beach grass has come back with a pincushion array of bladder leaks. We're at such a low baseline that I have a hard time believing that the change to a laminate is any relative drawback, regarding needle punctures.

And "guerrilla launches" - new phrase, love it, applies to my local :D

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:48 pm

Aluula hype is for real!! I was looping that 14.5 ocean rodeo flite like it was a 10 meter. Insane! If you are a fatty that can't megaloop because your kite is too big to finish the loop in 25 knots and you're too scared to loop the 14.5 in 40 knots this aluula is like the answer to a prayer you never knew you made. The loops are absolutely insane the most fun I've had with a kite for years! What a blast. Is this going to replace my 19m foil kite for hydrofoiling of course not it's even better than that it's a brand new market niche. It's hard to explain how it feels when that 14.5 completes a loop is like magic. So many possibilities open up with this kite. Double looping a 9m aluula kite boosting with your foil triple looping I dunno the hype is real boys. The hard choice tho is do you buy a soul 12 or ocean rodeo 14.5 they will be at the same price point.

This kite is genius. Like most things in life genius isn't about figuring hard stuff but working hard at making simple things come to life. What a great day in Grand Haven kogl had been cursed for years too much wind not enough storms skunked the most perfect day in ten years I rode for 8 hours switching kites boards every 25 minutes the aluula is the only one I went back to even after a demoed once because it's such a joy to ride.

I guess this kite was made for light wind but the real possibilities of this kite only show up when you loop it. I got no opinion on the material etc just how it handles that's most important to me. I rode that kite hard and it didn't explode so it can't be that fragile.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
Mossy 757 (Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:36 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:10 pm

RagingGrandpa wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:22 pm
I flew the 2020 Black Flite 14.5m this past weekend in 13kt wind with a TT @ a demo event in Michigan.
(OR- thanks for coming to KOGL!)
Same event last Friday 9/20:
Blake Olsen tried to take 14.5 Aluula Flite out on a foil when it blew 5 knots and after loops/downloops he realized that it won't fly him.
I flown a different 15m (Slingshot) kite on the same day and hour on the beach and could only do same too - looping and downlooping in 10-2 o'clock window.
Third kite which was flown was 16m HQ foil kite

Unfortunately there was no really lightwindish kite which would ride in 5 knots so I had fun wakefoiling on i76 wing behind a proper wakeboat (and missed an opportunity to ride an e-foil)

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:13 pm

Looping is not the best way to start on foil with low power. You can go lower with a wide sweep with the kite depowered to build max speed then oversheet. That will produce more force than a loop. Once you are out of the water you will need to pump though. Obviously only works with larger foils. The technique may be more advantageous on a foil kite particularly because their higher mass will build more inertia.

Return to “Kitesurfing”