Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

first 360 hydrofoil from Marc blanc !

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: first 360 hydrofoil from Marc blanc !

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:32 am

This trick is so beautiful ! I see no other sailing boat that could reproduce this ... I really want to try one day...

It is hard to conclude on best practice , looking at the very few number of videos showing it (and rides like you to do it) ; a medium / low ratio foilkite allows to fly "slower" against the wind and more stable to slack lines, so should be more adapted ; maybe in your next try, Iyou could just shorten hard the turning radius by seizing the pre-line ( helicopter mode like you do on your sonic) to turn it tight around its center, and then pursue the 360 ?

For sure the shorter line, the less distance (hence time) you have to face the wind with your inertia or pumping the HF (IMO)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Double Around the World !

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:16 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:54 am

Maybe I was wrong in many aspects: Tubes allow much tighter turns -> smaller line length (I think his setup is only 17 m total) -> lower speeds -> possiblity to combine with pumping -> do a double one ... :D

This is SO amazing, respect :thumb:

A shame the pumping is needed, but I assume it is...

Really incredible to watch, would be nice if it was on youtube or something, Instagram is a lousy platform IMO :roll:

So awesome !!!

8) PF

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Postby Qiter » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:47 pm

Just digging up this thread again, looking for advice (I have posted in another thread but no reply..):
Just managing the first "around-the-world-cheat-version" trick, i.e. the around the around-world but like Fred Hope sometimes does them (on long lines where the lines go slack and he somehow manages to catch the kite back after the board 360 while it hindenburgs more or less, see the Slingshot UFO promotion video at 0:53). I have managed a few, more by luck I believe (21m lines), but would like to watch a video where you see kite positioning during the move. I have only seen short sequences, but never the full thing from a good perspective.
Reason doing the "cheat" version and not the "full-downloop-powered-lines-slingshot-around" version is that for the latter, you need really short lines which is not great for other riding (at least for me). I have done a few on 15m lines but I live in a lightwind spot where its better to ride long lines...
Any videos around? Any tips?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:51 pm

No reply?

Pffft. posted two vids within minutes that cover the mechanics complete with kite view as you'd asked as well as tips and pitfalls. They are the same mechanics for what you want, just you get some slack line.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
Horst Sergio (Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Qiter
Medium Poster

Postby Qiter » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:41 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:51 pm
No reply?

Pffft. posted two vids within minutes that cover the mechanics complete with kite view as you'd asked as well as tips and pitfalls. They are the same mechanics for what you want, just you get some slack line.
I acknowledged them in the thread (thanks again) but they did not answer my question, as I politely wrote in my reply in the other thread :wink: .
I have "done" the two moves and they are quite different. I was looking for some videos of the second version with normal line length (and not the 15m or shorter required to have a realistic chance of doing the "normal" one unless you are a super pro)....

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:03 pm

Maybe explain what is different about what you are asking for. As I understand it your looking at this 360 around the world move as a continuum not unlike kite loops, where at one end you have a full on powered kite loop and on the other a heli loop or down loop. All roughly the same mechanics with differences in timing.

As I understand it, your talking about a scaled back version of the trick in the vid above, but with the kite higher doing a smaller circle that if you kept going along that continuum you end up with a simple rider 360 with kite loop. Halfway between those two sees the rider doing the 360 with the kite only ending up barely upwind of them enough to slack line and begin to fall LE first toward the water before you take up the slack. Am I missing something?
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
Qiter (Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:52 pm)

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:41 am

Florian Gruber did a while ago 7x in a row.. :thumb:

These users thanked the author joriws for the post:
Horst Sergio (Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:11 pm)

Qiter
Medium Poster

Postby Qiter » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:18 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:03 pm
Maybe explain what is different about what you are asking for. As I understand it your looking at this 360 around the world move as a continuum not unlike kite loops, where at one end you have a full on powered kite loop and on the other a heli loop or down loop. All roughly the same mechanics with differences in timing.

As I understand it, your talking about a scaled back version of the trick in the vid above, but with the kite higher doing a smaller circle that if you kept going along that continuum you end up with a simple rider 360 with kite loop. Halfway between those two sees the rider doing the 360 with the kite only ending up barely upwind of them enough to slack line and begin to fall LE first toward the water before you take up the slack. Am I missing something?
Hi, thanks for the feedback!

Yes, that´s more or less it. Let´s call it the "long line" version, as line length does not matter much for this one, contrasting the "real", downloop around the world trick, as shown in all videos.
Basically, for this version, you go with speed, reaching, kite somewhere at 12, then do a tight, rider only, downwind 360.
Because you are going partly towards or at least underneath the kite, there will be no or only minimal line tension.
Once you have made it around without kite assistance, you somehow have to save the kite which by now is either hindenburging leading edge down (worst case, game over) or somehow drifting slowly downwind (best case). This is the tricky part as the save usually comes with a good yank when the kite catches power again and you are often still not fully around or in an awkward position on the board.
I have figured out that completely letting out the bar is not a good idea, best also to hold it in the middle. Also, the tightness of the 360 is key, if its too wide, no chance to save the kite.

I hope its more clear now? Help + Videos welcome!! Thanks a lot!!

P.S: I pass a few here and there, but not pretty, off the foil at the end. Will post a video once I get my wife to video me (which is almost more difficult than the move itself..)

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:11 pm

@joriws and jumptheshark:
Thanks very cool both videos, relinked that for explanation here again.
Qiter wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:18 am
...Yes, that´s more or less it. Let´s call it the "long line" version, as line length does not matter much for this one, contrasting the "real", downloop around the world trick, as shown in all videos.
Basically, for this version, you go with speed, reaching, kite somewhere at 12, then do a tight, rider only, downwind 360.
Hi Qiter,
yes what you are talking about is a "downwind 360", as you see it here done by Greg with a slow foil that fits good for this trick.
But a "downwind 360" has very few to do with an "around the world" so better don't go on to mix them up in this topic, which is just about "around the world"
Downwind 360:

In fact even a downwind 360 on a wing foil still far distance but already a bit more close to "around the world"
Around the world just can be done with short lines, for sure Florian doesn't use more than 12 m lines and even for him, remember one of the best racers, doing it with 20 m or more would be impossible.

Very good explanation and pictuers of "around the world":

Tried it this summer a few times with 8 m lines and a 5 m² Peak in combination with a monofoil ... was close to through it around me in flight like Marc but very far from a real one in full flight. I think for sure the combination was a bit too much, but especially the Peak is not realy made for it, even if it turns so nice and flys in so low wind, but just doesn't has enough inertia, when it starts flapping for a secound it sticks to the atmosphere, which is great on a wave but bad, when it is 16 m directly upwind of you. But even if not successful it has been great lessons to reassemble Peak in the water 10 times / hour :lol: and also kept the short lines for my Peaks.
Haven't given up, next for sure I will try it just with the mono, but with a more suitable kite for sure.

Also the hint from the video about the foil is very true: Have always done it with freerace foil, but today think a fast but bigger freeride foil as Cruizer with 1000 cm² will work better.

Sucessful around around around to everybody who likes to try. :D
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
Qiter (Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:52 pm)

Qiter
Medium Poster

Postby Qiter » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:51 pm

Thanks for all the info Horst and Jumptheshark!
Yes, I am aware of the difference between the "normal downwind" 360 (which is basically a jibe without footswitch immediately followed by a tack from toeside, so a relatively "standard" move) and the state of the art "around the world" trick, such as shown in countless videos.
What I am looking for is the move that Fred Hope does in the slingshot UFO promotion video at about 0:53 (I am bad with linking videos but those interested will find it or remember it).
Looking at the video over and over again, it definitely looks different to the normal, downwind 360 (where there is power in the kite all the time).
Not sure I have explained it well enough, have a look for yourself, then you maybe see what I mean?

Return to “Hydrofoil”