Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Chrono V3 Vs Flysurfer Soul

Postby PurdyKiter » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:23 pm

jyka wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:12 am
People are saying soul is more stable. No doubt it is. But I have 13m v2 chrono and it's also so super easy and stable. Haven't had any problems with instability. Other people also keep asking when I have dropped it to water, how did you manage it get it up :D I'm also wondering it by myself every time
I'm a rookie to Souls and every time I water relaunch post-crash I ask myself "What did I just do?" Seems to relaunch with minimal input from me.... or it doesn't :(

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:57 pm

PurdyKiter wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:23 pm
jyka wrote:
People are saying soul is more stable. No doubt it is. But I have 13m v2 chrono and it's also so super easy and stable. Haven't had any problems with instability. Other people also keep asking when I have dropped it to water, how did you manage it get it up :D I'm also wondering it by myself every time
I'm a rookie to Souls and every time I water relaunch post-crash I ask myself "What did I just do?" Seems to relaunch with minimal input from me.... or it doesn't :(
You’ll get adjusted in how to relaunch a foil. Sometimes it requires back swimming to put tension on the lines. Other times it requires numerous “yanks” or a large amount of pulling on one line. I don’t remember the last time I haven’t been able to relaunch my foil short of the wind dropping basically down to nothing. This is why I think the Soul is the best out in the market right now. It’s ability to relaunch is the best there is. Can’t wait for the next Sonic. I predict more performance with almost the same ease of handling.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:38 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:57 pm
PurdyKiter wrote:
jyka wrote:
You’ll get adjusted in how to relaunch a foil. Sometimes it requires back swimming to put tension on the lines. Other times it requires numerous “yanks” or a large amount of pulling on one line. I don’t remember the last time I haven’t been able to relaunch my foil short of the wind dropping basically down to nothing. This is why I think the Soul is the best out in the market right now. It’s ability to relaunch is the best there is. Can’t wait for the next Sonic. I predict more performance with almost the same ease of handling.
Out of interest, have you directly compared the Soul to most or all other options? I have no doubt that the Soul is fantastic, I'm just interested to know which other kites that you're comparing it with that you flew?

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses

Postby PurdyKiter » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:26 am

dave1986 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:38 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
PurdyKiter wrote:

Out of interest, have you directly compared the Soul to most or all other options? I have no doubt that the Soul is fantastic, I'm just interested to know which other kites that you're comparing it with that you flew?
If you're asking me... Nope. I went from Park to Pivots to Clouds (for 4 years Clouds) and now I'm dabbling in Souls. Clearly a world apart from my usual Cloud experience.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:54 pm

dave1986 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:38 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
PurdyKiter wrote:

I've flown Speeds, Sonics, Pyschos, Chronos, and kitechs. Haven't gotten my hands on a hyperlink and I definitely want to try a Nova sometime.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:26 am

After flying my Ozone Chrono V3 Ultralight 13m a few times now, I can say that I'm extremely impressed. This kite really does fly in phenomenally well in very winds as well as being extremely well behaved in gusty offshore conditions. I was also impressed that it's turning speed is good for such a large kite!

I went out in around 10mph wind with the wind slowly dropping over the course of about 30 minutes... Eventually the wind dropped to around 5mph and I was struggling to board start on my Moses Onda (633)... yet the kite was still easily flying just sitting waiting rock solid at 12 Oclock. I can safely say that my 10m Ozone Alpha would not fly in these winds.

I would certainly recommend a Chrono V3 Ultralight for anyone looking for a very forgiving and easy kite to make the most of very light winds.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:24 am

dave1986 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:26 am
After flying my Ozone Chrono V3 Ultralight 13m a few times now, I can say that I'm extremely impressed.

I would certainly recommend a Chrono V3 Ultralight for anyone looking for a very forgiving and easy kite to make the most of very light winds.
the Soul and the V3 Chrono ultralight are maybe the main two large freeride foil kites worthy of serious consideration when looking for ease of use, user friendly, high performance large foil kites, choose either and you have a tool to delight your senses both in marginal and stronger winds, massive range, easy relaunch, predictable handling,
there are a few differences worth considering before choosing one rather than the other,
but these seem to be small kite features which will have a small part to play in your overall enjoyment of these bang up to date foil kites.
a few points to note.

the Chrono v3 is not the same kite as previous chrono models, choosing a early design example will not deliver the same kind of experience as the V3.

the Soul is around the same age as the V3 chrono so your looking at fair comparisons

the Soul comes in one cloth choice which is light, very light.
the chrono V3 comes in a choice of two cloths, standard which is slightly heavier than the soul and ultralight which is slightly lighter than the soul but much more expensive

the Soul is better at relaunch in most winds,
the chrono V3 UL is maybe easier to relaunch in the very lightest airs as long as you avoid getting it waterlogged, this is then when the Soul excels by being better at resisting water ingress, but both are brilliant at getting airborne again and certainly much easier than any race oriented kite
(the ULight V3 is more willing to stay up in the very lightest airs, but you pay a lot of extra cash for this)

the large Chrono is a faster kite (my main reason for choosing) the 13mtr v3 being slightly more nimble than the 12 Soul, so if your into throwing your kite around, looping and spinning the kite for fun then get a demo flight first to see the difference.you can of course speed up the soul a little by using shorter lines,

Chrono V3 and Soul bridal systems are very easy to manage for the average Joe kiter.

the Ozone click in water foil kite bar(not the race bar) is my bar of choice for my foil kites, very high quality and user friendly, not too expensive either.
my choice is the compact version of this bar which has a shorter bar throw to suit my arm length, 23 mtr lines on 11mtr and over, 19mtr lines on smaller kites.

The biggest difference between the 2 kites is the price, Ozone is much more expensive.
however to save cost I have chosen the Hyperlink in the smaller sizes of 5mtr and 7mtr,
the new V2 hyperlink is only made in ultra light material now, the V1 ultra light 5mtr weighs in at 1.29 kg, the new V2 7mtr Hyperlink at 1.39kg.

one Tip I can offer to anyone thinking of a large foil kite is to consider a 11mtr V3 UL Chrono, more affordable, much more fun to use, hardly any loss of low wind performance, still masses of instant grunt, and as for boosting its shockingly awesome, but so is the Soul, what the hell, either will do :thumb:
These users thanked the author Foil for the post (total 4):
dave1986 (Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:27 pm) • mgs (Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:51 pm) • Aspiremr (Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:53 pm) • Gestalt (Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:24 pm)
Rating: 12.12%

Return to “Foil Kites”