Mountain Board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best bar ever made? LF Mission V3

Postby leanin » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:12 pm

Michaelr123 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:40 pm
Not to high jack the conversation, but I'm currently using a LF mission v2 handle with an ion riot 6 harness (beginner package from mackiteboarding) and really struggling with having the chicken loop pop off by twisting around the hook on the harness. This has led to quite a few launches where the loop gets away from me and I'm fighting to a fully sheeted kite to get rehooked while I'm skimming across the water. Most days I don't have the issue, but now that I've been learning to foil and I'm water starting more frequently I'm having this issue quite a bit. This has led to me ending up in some hairy situations a time or two and I've been trying to figure out if its the bar or the harness I'm using or possible both. I also run into the problem more often in light winds when i'm working the lines to keep the kite in the air or if I'm fighting to get it to relaunch off the water and I pull on the center lines a bit. Basically anytime you take pressure off loop there's a chance for it to rotate around the hook on the harness and the donkey dick doesn't really work properly. I know one guy on the beach looked over my harness and commented on how shallow the hook looked to him. any ideas on this?
Do you have a Dakine harness? Some of their hooks were too open and allowed this to happen too easily. I replaced the hook with a newer version and haven’t had the problem since. I had the problem with a slingshot and Core bar.

leanin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Keystone, Hefner
Favorite Beaches: Turks & Caicos, South Padre Island
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7m, 9m, 12m,17m
Cabrinha Spectrum, Liquid Force Over Drive
Flysurfer 4m Peak 2, 9m Peak 3
Mountain Board

Postby leanin » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:13 pm

Sorry, just noticed you have an Ion harness

Garretjv
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Michigan, Grand Haven, Muskegon
Favorite Beaches: Kano'ohe Oahu, the sandbar
Gear: LF NV 2018 12m
Cab 2015 17m slingshot
LF Mission Control v2 20m lines
Cab 2015 control bar 24m lines
Ion Riot6 2019 harness

Postby Garretjv » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:44 am

Michaelr123 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:05 pm
Garret,

I think it's the stiff tube on the bar that retains a twist in it that causes the problem. I know my local resaler was showing me a rope slider and was explaining the benefits, partly for foiling, but also for freeride in general. Now that I think back I remember a few instances on launch where I got dragged due to this issue. Not so fun, and definitely not safe. If this sounds like it's just an issue for a novice kiter let me know, but I never even considered this when I was flying ozone kites over the winter.

So used the gear today and yes indeed the chicken loop is twisting out of it! I might show this to the store so they know for future purchasers. But yeah major issue while freeriding.

Michaelr123
Medium Poster
Weight: 175lb
Local Beach: Mendota / Monona
Gear: 14m apollo, 12m NV, 11m boxer, 9m moto, 7m apollo
cabrinha Ace 141cm, 3'6" dwarf craft /w moses w800/s421

Postby Michaelr123 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:07 pm

I was out on Wednesday and was fighting the issue quite a bit while trying to get my kite back up in the air during really light wind. killed a few successful launches which was a bit annoying. I'm going to switch over to a slider bar which i believe will correct the issue. Might be looking at a new bar and lines for next year at this rate.

Garretjv
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Michigan, Grand Haven, Muskegon
Favorite Beaches: Kano'ohe Oahu, the sandbar
Gear: LF NV 2018 12m
Cab 2015 17m slingshot
LF Mission Control v2 20m lines
Cab 2015 control bar 24m lines
Ion Riot6 2019 harness

Postby Garretjv » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:03 pm

Now that I know exactly what the issue is Im gonna replicate in a video/pictures to LF. Ill mention that some other locals are having this issue making the bar unusable. I was already having issues with my maxflow system from them. It leaks air crazy, theyre sending me another bladder at least..

But yeah Ill get in contact with the guy again and show him the issue. I bet he'll say the same crap and just to directly hook the chicken loop in. Which sounds like my least safest option. Good luck on the foiling. I wanna do that but hard pressed to spend 1500$.

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:49 pm

Have V2 with wave loop (rope slider -mystic ,which i really like) V3 has improved on V2 as the depower tubing was too rigid.Also the velcro tad on trim adjuster works ok unless you have a big wipe out.
However,an very tempted with the KUAPER XT ,pintxo bar
viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2403644

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:10 pm

I think it looks really good :thumb:

Have had velcro adjusters "put away" feature on all my bars almost, for years and years, works just perfectly.

Otherwise it is a "rope" (depower line) with knots, when you make your lines/depower systems yourself with a cleat, and works, but I dislike having something swinging around when you can just put it away on the velcro.

The only thing I dislike about this bar, is the option to make it "shorter" :wink:

I dont know anyone who would want to make their bar shorter...
Not into freestyle though.

But for waves and hydrofoil, the faster turning the kite, the better.

And those experienced who wants a shorter bar, including me, would BUY a shorter bar, instead of having a long "clumsy" bar which has been amputated so to speak.

Just adds complexity without gain, IMO.

Maybe just me :roll:

Otherwise I like it, the "V" adjustment is interesting IMO, eventhough some of the advantages of a high V is lost, but just the feature that you can choose what you prefer on a given day, is great :thumb:

Regarding the sausage floaters, this is why I might wanna buy such a bar, as those with integrated floaters simply get sooo big an bulky IMO.

With the sausages you can either keep them, or ditch them for simplicity and ease if you like, or shorten them up for a compromise :D

8) Peter

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:41 am

I got confused now reading more posts...

Is it the V3 that pops out of the hook, or was it earlier models?

This is a major problem and must not happen too easy :o

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”