Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

One vs two front straps on board

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

One vs two front straps on board

Postby knyfe » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:00 am

I tried to go toe side on my two front straps board but in no way could I find the right balance to make it work. Do i need to switch to one center front strap to stay a chance? I use a LF happy with a cut down Old door as board.

G - I know I am suppose to ride strapless but one at a time kids...

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 100 Pies
Local Beach: Holbox, or wherever I end up.
Favorite Beaches: Clee, Lytham, Holbox, Kappalady, Vella Island, Alankuda, Keros, Long Bay - Turks and Caicos, Rawai, OBX
Style: Foil, surf, freerace, ski, landboard
Gear: Axis Tray 94cm -MIA
Axis 545-MIA, 660 and 1000
Axis 96cm mast -MIA
Moses 633/483 and diy pocket board with C72 mast.
18m Slingshot Phantom
9m Core X Lite
7m Edge V8
6m HK Fury Pro
Axis 136 limited
Airush Sector V3 60
Brand Affiliation: Holbox Kiteboarding school manager

Re: One vs two front straps on board

Postby Jugglajon » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:33 am

Two front straps toeside can work just fine. I thought at first it would be problematic but found out that there is no massive issue. BTW don't be in any rush to go strapless do what feels right for you.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby matth » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:48 pm

Ditch the strap before it's to late....I was trying to do my first planning jibe a few weeks ago and dropped my kite too fast in the exit to toeside. The board shoot out and I fell to the side with my foot stuck in strap. Big ouch, I tore my Quad muscle pretty bad and have been out for two weeks, most likely another week to go. Bottom line, I will never ride with my feet in the straps on a HF again, these boards have far more power and leverage than a TT or surfboard and could rip your leg off with ease...

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:11 pm

Jugglajon wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:33 am
Two front straps toeside can work just fine. I thought at first it would be problematic but found out that there is no massive issue. BTW don't be in any rush to go strapless do what feels right for you.
Same for me two front ; if you feel uncomfortable , you can move your rear foot some centimeters in the toe direction to compensate the de-axis of your front foot

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:53 pm

knyfe wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:00 am
I tried to go toe side on my two front straps board but in no way could I find the right balance to make it work. Do i need to switch to one center front strap to stay a chance? I use a LF happy with a cut down Old door as board.

G - I know I am suppose to ride strapless but one at a time kids...
Couple of thoughts.

If you're using an old door board, it's possible that you've got your two front straps separated extra wide to compensate for the width of the door. The wide separation of the front straps might make it harder to ride toeside. If you had a narrow separation between the two front straps, would it be easier?

Regarding strapless vs strapped on a hydrofoil, keep your straps if you want. If you don't have straps, it'll be difficult to boost, which is one of the joys of kiteboarding, whether you're on a TT or a hydrofoil. Keep your straps extra loose so you can bail out easily if needed, but don't think you have to ride strapless. Strapless is a preference for some, but definitely not a mandate. :thumb:

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:56 pm

If you’re targeting riding strapless one day and don’t have middle strap option, put a longer, perpendicular strap using one hole of each left and right straps.
It will help for boardstarts and feel almost strapless once riding

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:03 pm

Move your back foot further over the center line ie. toes closer to toe side, assuming you're not using a strap back there. I still ride with front foot position like I've got two straps ... prefer that pitch control of widely spaced feet.

EDIT: Oh that's been said sorry :D

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:11 pm

The straps are mounted to nearly overlap in the center. It sounds like I am probably more limited by my board skills than the actual strap position ;-)

Thanks for all the comments. G

AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant

Postby AndersP » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:33 pm

The "unibrow" strap, same as grigorib described is really good. Perfect for starting and you can choose where to have your foot sideways. Toeside riding just as strapless. Very easy to twist your foot out of it to ride pure strapless. If you have it low, just your toes goes in it, there is no chanche to get stuck.
For me it is much better than straps and hooks.
These users thanked the author AndersP for the post:
Sgallian (Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:05 am)
Rating: 3.03%

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:40 pm

Do what you like. If you want to race, you'll have to get used to two straps if you want to be strapless get rid of them, if you want to boost, you'll want two straps. A single center strap allows you to easily shift your weight around. Do what you like have fun and don't let anyone tell you what style you are supposed to have. I do recommend if you want to eventually be strapless to start out strapless from the start tho.

Return to “Hydrofoil”