Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Best Bar for Soul?

Postby PurdyKiter » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:20 pm

In my early summer buy-everything manic, I purchased my very first foil kite and a the "top of the line bar" as per recommendations here on KF. Now after a sporadic summer of riding the 8m Soul I have questions about my Ozone Foil Race bar that I have dedicated to this one kite.
1. Why? Now that I'm more comfortable with the Soul it seems like this bar is a huge overkill with regards to weight, bulky, huge. I think I'd be much happier with any standard bar & lines.
2. De-power adjuster? What's the deal with the exceedingly long de-power cord? It's annoying when this 2 feet of rope is flinging around getting in the way. So far on this 8m Soul I've maybe pulled 6" at the most and it seems like I've killed enough power.
3. AND... If it's got this much de-power adjuster.... Why didn't Ozone make the bar throw longer too? I have maybe 6" or more that I could send the bar out, but it is limited by design with the stopper ball.
The things I like about this bar: The Chicken Loop re-set is wonderful
The steering line brake strap is essential.

Note... If someone here wants to purchase or trade this fancy bar that I paid $700, I'd be happy to exchange. I'm in Tacoma WA, USA. I'll take a loss.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: Best Bar for Soul?

Postby jakemoore » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:16 pm

If flying in good winds and powered up on hydrofoil it’s nice to use the long trim rope to sheet in while riding upwind. Basically the bar is against the loop but the kite is depowered. It’s a nice stance to ride upwind fast. And it’s less about depower and more about moving the kite forward.

For lighter winds and free riding, I go without a trimmer BRM style even with a 13 m foil kite.

As a compromise you could cut the trim rope at the knot to have less flop. Or buy a shorter rope if you want to go back. Rope is cheap.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:31 pm

Any bar will work, I’m planning on getting my hands on a Pixto bar if I can(impossible to get in the states). BTW I never liked the back strap. The steering line balls have always been my preference. I adjust them so they are set for the perfect amount of backstall needed to self land. The Flysurfer bars have them set to that but I that’s really the only plus of them. I had an Ozone race bar when they first came out and I agree that the depower line is annoying. It’s extra long so you don’t have to lean forward and get off your edge to adjust your trim.

AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant

Postby AndersP » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:38 pm

If you change the 4:1 depower to 2:1 and cut the depower rope as short as you prefer you'll get a "normal" bar with the features you liked except for extra long throw.
But riding powered for a long time with your arms fully extended isn't very comfortable. Better to trim the bar to a comfortable position.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:16 pm

AndersP wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:38 pm
If you change the 4:1 depower to 2:1 and cut the depower rope as short as you prefer you'll get a "normal" bar with the features you liked except for extra long throw.
But riding powered for a long time with your arms fully extended isn't very comfortable. Better to trim the bar to a comfortable position.
I’m personally getting away from de powered bars. I prefer bars with a long throw and find myself rarely messing with the trim anymore. I do enjoy riding overpowered and on a foil like the Soul, it depowers very well on a long throw.

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Postby Nem0 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:46 pm

Use a simple carbon bar like this...
2841A827-0E7B-40F0-ACA9-0A6425FFB8DC.jpeg

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses

Postby PurdyKiter » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:17 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:16 pm
AndersP wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:38 pm
I’m personally getting away from de powered bars. I prefer bars with a long throw and find myself rarely messing with the trim anymore. I do enjoy riding overpowered and on a foil like the Soul, it depowers very well on a long throw.
OK, In my other life I'm all BRM style bars. I've grown to like that design with simply longer throw and no adjuster. But now the other point made up higher in this thread is making sense. Once I learn the nuances of foil kite handling it would be sweet to charge up wind more efficiently with proper adjustments.
It's a new world for me.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:36 am

I feel somewhat qualified on this topic. I have two souls and I have flown them extensively on 3 x different bars.

The Ozone foil bar like your one I use for crossing the bay and when I'm far offshore because if the wind really picks up I can depower the kite a lot and have the bar in a comfy position for extended riding. Note I removed the brake handle as that is not necessary and can lead to tangles.

I have used the 2017 cabrinha trim lite quite a lot too. A clean and simple bar.

Lately I have built 4 of my own bars that copy the BRM control bar. Each bar has different line lengths 12m, 16m, 23m and 27m lines. I love using these bars for 90% of my riding and freeride stuff.
These users thanked the author Macster for the post:
PurdyKiter (Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:13 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:59 pm

Have riden mines with Naish standard bars, flysurfer race bar, and ozone race bar, with line lengths ranging from 24mt down to 10mt.
My answer is, it depends.
If youre just doing some freeride on a twintip, line lenghts of 19-24 seems to work bes, with any kind of standard bar you like.
Freeride on a hydrofoil works better with 13-17 mt lines , and here you can also use any bar you like.
Race bars become relevant with race conditions on a hf, where you aim to be on a bigger kite, and sometimes the wind picks up and you need the extra depower to avoid being thrown of your course

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:33 pm

whoever recommended that Ozone race bar may have been trying to sell one,
I did notice a while back that two guys were trying to offload thiers as a swap or buy,
your right in that unless your loading up an overpowered foil kite for speed, racing or your a speed freek, then that bar is overkill.

Ozone do two standard non race style bars, they come in different throw lengths,
for those who want a long throw and then like me who want a shorter throw to rest the bar against every now and then, like when spinning the bar back so the bar just falls into my palm without looking for it, that bar is called the Compact bar or wake style bar, and without lines is a good price, and of course comes with the new click in system,
I noticed the bar in your picture is not the one with the click in system?
the brake strap fits on all the ozone bars and costs very little, making your own is not worth it as the Ozone one has clever little fixing points.
I much prefer the Ozone bar to my north click bars which I sold recently because of my preference for the Ozone compact bar, line lengths are much easier to manage, which you do end up changing when using foil kites on hydrofoil boards, I can now use many combinations of line length
something that never seemed to work when using LEI kites and Ttips.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
PurdyKiter (Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:04 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”