Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foiler's Toe

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foiler's Toe

Postby Flyboy » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:35 pm

Err ... any infallible tips to accomplish the foot switch? This is proving more difficult than anticipated. Years of footswitching on a SB don't really seem to be much of a help. :nervous:

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:16 am

If your dropping your arch on either foot and riding in a really static stance for extended periods.... yeah things are gonna hurt. Move your feet and stand well. I rode most of this year in shoes. Mostly because of rocky exits but I don’t have a deck pad so it’s kinda nice on a hard deck. Would allow you to use an orthotic if you need one. Shoes suck for swimming, but are great at rocky spots.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:04 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:16 am
If your dropping your arch on either foot and riding in a really static stance for extended periods.... yeah things are gonna hurt. Move your feet and stand well. I rode most of this year in shoes. Mostly because of rocky exits but I don’t have a deck pad so it’s kinda nice on a hard deck. Would allow you to use an orthotic if you need one. Shoes suck for swimming, but are great at rocky spots.
Used to get pain the arches of my feet, now I don't. When I was using front straps only and even strapless. Don't know what changed.

Also used to get pain in my back foot's knee, from twisting it and driving the foil around ... now I don't. Still don't know what changed...

Although I did make a conscious effort to try and ride more square across the board, rather than twisting shoulders around. Very minor adjustment :shrug:

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:15 am

I noticed more rear foot fatigue since I’ve switched from a SS dwarftcraft to a Groove Skate. Miss that concave deck.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:52 am

I feel my feet while foiling, because riding strapless i tend to "hanging on" board - like ape on tree. I never had any pain though other than occasional cramps - which can be unrelated.
Nevertheless, i recently rode on surfskate which is pumpamble skateboard - it is a ton of fun BTW. Deck on this board is heavy concaved and meant for barefoot riding. Unfortunately i develop heavy foiler toe from this pumping movement on my front feet /left - im regular/. After seeing this is all have sense to me. Now i feel it on foil also.

Its pain in toe big knuckle and it hurts also while walking unfortunately - so there is definitely something going on...

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:55 pm

I was concerned my toe/foot pain might be gout ior arthritis.. switching feet more is a lot easier prescription. :-)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:11 pm

If you're in middle age or over(40+ ) then there's always risk of overuse. You should really concentrate on learning flying footswitch.
After going over to foiling 3 years ago, and subsequent increase in water time ( addiction + foiling allowed more sessions) I developed a form of osteoarthritis symptoms in my right ankle.
Went to physiotherapy and got some advice on exercise and stretching, and it's gotten better last 2 years.
There's no doubts that hydrofoiling puts a lot of stress on your feet.
My feet are in great shape now!

alowishus
Medium Poster
Gear: ozone airush slingshot moses

Postby alowishus » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:35 am

I found riding toeside upwind pretty uncomfortable, even with the rope slider, and now tend to only go toeside when heading downwind, carving etc.

The main issue for me was in the rear leg after a long session, not toes, but I shuffle my feet around a fair bit.
After about a year of working on it I can make most footswitches on the foil... most of them... not quite 100% yet...

When I started foiling sometimes the bottom of my feet would go tingly ... :?:

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:45 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:35 pm
Err ... any infallible tips to accomplish the foot switch? This is proving more difficult than anticipated. Years of footswitching on a SB don't really seem to be much of a help. :nervous:
There's a progression. Learn to ride with narrow stance and even with feet side by side.
Learn to move back foot forward to touch heel of front foot and back in super fast movement.
Learn to pump your foil.
Then go for it by switching to toeside into your strong direction going in straight line. Keep kite high but not overhead.
It's a 1-2 step: back foot forward, front foot back, fast.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:49 am

Narrower stance upwind helps a LOT....been recovering now...load on both feet...

Return to “Hydrofoil”