Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: New SARLite Emergency Signalling Kit

Postby RickI » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:38 pm

It is good you have made your choice on what you will carry when you kite. Post some photos of the signaling gear you pick up for kiting.

Whistles are required by law in Canada and the USA for kiters although enforcement is lacking. They are recommended in the UK as well although I don't know if they are required by law for kiters as "vessels" there or not. We were talking about using them on here in 2002, so they are nothing new.

The little mirrors have been standard in rescue kits for over a hundred years including in the UK. You really should read over the history going back to the early 1800's in Europe at https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/sur ... mirror.htm

Standard kit for downed pilots in WWII

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:47 pm

Dave_5280 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:48 pm
I carry a personal locator beacon (PLB), the PLB1, Very small, satellite GPS coordinates sent when activated, worldwide coverage, no monthly fees, 7 year battery life, no longer called search and rescue just rescue since they have your location, tens of thousands of people have been saved worldwide with PLBs.

RickI wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:31 pm
I do the same thing with my personal locator beacon only take it when I expect a higher risk of problems. ...
Name of the GPS you guys have, please ?
Initial cost ?
Is there a fee for usage ?
Fully waterproof ?

Last time i looked , the SPOT was not waterproof below 1m underwater ; we
use SPOT for Hang gliding comps , but it doesn't appear to be a good choice
for water , (unless they changed something) ?

Bille
These users thanked the author Bille for the post:
RickI (Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:55 pm

This is the one I have had Billie for a few years. I have never used it but do test it before I take it out using the onboard function. There is no usage fee but you need to register it annually (free). I would recommend leaving a float plan with your contact number. I tie it off to the cord sewn into the pocket on my NP High Hook Harness. I would tie it to a shoulder of my impact vest or to the helmet to keep it out of the water to aid signal strength if I activated it for real while kiting. I almost was taken out on a ten mile R/T kiting run from Harbour Island to Glass Window Bridge in the Bahamas by some major cliffs almost no landing areas a few years back. I decided I needed something when I kited way out in the boonies away from much traffic and so picked it up once I returned to the US.

Not a great place to land but it worked out in the end.

I also picked it up for regular trips to this place in the ABC islands. There often is no one around the island and very rarely off the iron windward shore. I learned that landing and walking out wasn't too bad. That is aside from sea urchins and fire coral from the windward side as long as the waves weren't too out of control. That presented another option should things go south short of sending out a GPS call for help.

These users thanked the author RickI for the post:
Bille (Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:39 pm)

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:30 pm

The SARLite is good to use in more populated areas should you become disabled, injured, etc. like at my regular kiting areas off SE Florida. I plan to leave it in my impact vest pocket for kiting at home as well as abroad, and for back country paddles and offshore free diving.
whistle buoy.jpg
Plus it is great when you travel, not needed to hassle with aircraft or cruise ship prohibitions on flammable articles.
tulum.jpg
lanai wreck.jpg
We want great experiences but it is good to try to cover the bases should things go wrong.
These users thanked the author RickI for the post:
Bille (Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:40 pm)

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:37 pm

RickI wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:55 pm
This is the one I have had Billie for a few years.

The specifications say it's waterproof to 5m deep ; but it won't float . They
do make an (Optional Flotation Pouch) for it though .

Great price, (I'm gonna get one) ; and i owe Ya a cold one, if it ever saves me ! :thumb:

These users thanked the author Bille for the post:
RickI (Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:09 pm)

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:07 pm

No, you are right they don't float. I keep mine tied off but would likely untie it to move it to a signalling location. A float would be a good idea. You are unusual in seeing the forest for the trees having been through the harsh wars of reality Billie. Most would discount the need, trusting things will always be rosy. Sadly you know better. They still have to see/find you once they are in the area, so the SARLite would help out in that regard. Setting yourself up with reasonable safety gear is plenty of thanks enough! Hope you never need any of it as well.

I have carried this mess for a few years in my NP High Hook Harness adding in car keys too. The mirror is scratched and degraded as you can see.
mirror whistle.png
mirror whistle.png (807.86 KiB) Viewed 894 times
It will nice to clean things up with the SARLite pouch.
SARLite.png
SARLite.png (791.72 KiB) Viewed 894 times

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:59 am

Talk about an improvement!
Attachments
9385E989-F1AF-476A-B43C-6B668E033169.jpeg

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:34 pm

ACR bought PLB1 and now they sell it, $250 - $300 selling price. It is smaller than the RescueMe smallest model. No fees, free international registration with NOAA, and they want you to update your information every 2 years. Worldwide coverage, sea and land. They don’t float. 7 year rating on battery. REI carries them.

The new 2 way satellite communication devices require a monthly fee but you can communicate with text messages and could allow for less than life threatening use, but some systems are not worldwide coverage. Garmin is a leader in these and has a very small one out now for about 2 years, worldwide coverage.

I also looked at Satellite phones which are the most expensive and bulky, better for boats or land use, and also are rentable for trips. Marine radios, bulky but getting smaller, limited range, $50 - $500 to buy, good lifeguard and coast guard contact since they monitor frequencies and give fastest response and some have gps location. Apple Watch with waterproof case, $10 add on monthly fee to phone, but can make cellular calls without phone if in range, one guy rescued off California with his while kiting. In U.S. by law, a cell phone can be used for 911 emergency calling without monthly plan so a small phone could be carried and used if charged.

PLB1 link: http://oceansignal.com/products/plb1/

Garmin link: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/592606#overview

Article link on why kitesurfers need a PLB: https://www.thekiteboarder.com/2016/09 ... -need-one/

NOAA link: https://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/beacon.html

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:46 pm

A commercial pilot and kiter swears by Garmen's device. He had to set his helicopter down because of heavy weather on a cross country flight. He was ok but just needed for things to clear. He was beyond radio, cell range apparently and he didn't want to send out a general SOS. He used the Garmen InReach unit to explain his situation and avoided an unnecessary SAR mission. I thought about getting one but haven't moved on it yet. Garmin link: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/592606#overview

Return to “Kitesurfing”