resurrecting a Cabrinha Co2

Forum for kitesurfers
supachip1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: south coast uk
Brand Affiliation: None

resurrecting a Cabrinha Co2

Postby supachip1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:49 pm

i was having a clear out and found an old 12m Co2, its in great shape and i'd like to pump it up and have a mess around with it but don't have a bar, as i remember there was hardly any de-power throw on the original bar, my north bars wont work, i know that much. any suggestions. ?

cheers

dragnfly
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool/ St Annes. New Brighton (UK)
Favorite Beaches: UK - Rhosneigr. New Brighton, Blackrock Sands.
Non UK - Dakhla.
Style: FS80% WS15% Strapless5%
Gear: Cabrinha FX 12,9 & SB 7m, Drifter 5m
Crazyfly Raptor ltd 136 2018 (best board ever!)
Slingshot Screamer

Re: resurrecting a Cabrinha Co2

Postby dragnfly » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:07 pm

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:00 pm

supachip1 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:49 pm
i was having a clear out and found an old 12m Co2, its in great shape and i'd like to pump it up and have a mess around with it but don't have a bar, as i remember there was hardly any de-power throw on the original bar, my north bars wont work, i know that much. any suggestions. ?

cheers
Use a standard control bar with the co2 equal line lengths. When it came from the factory it has the recon system with a Y so the line lengths weren't equal on that particular bar.

But it's a c kite and all c kites all equal line length as long as the pigtails or leaders at the kite are the same length. You can also run the co2 with a 5th line it you do you want a leader on the kite and when flying the 5th line should have about an inch of slack.

don't worry about how much throw there is in the control bar you can always have a bar with more throw all that happens is if you reach the amount of throw that makes any difference the rear lines goes back so it's not a big deal
Don't use the recon bars they are actually dangerous because they rely on the rear lines and this line in the rear of the kite. If there's seaweed in it the system can death loop.

Just use a regular modern control bar. I like those old cab black tip kites get it running they are worth it.

You might need pigtails so your North kites work. Do not used a mini 5th with this kite you need either single center or true 5th as mini 5th doesn't flag c kites

Don't read that old link it's got old info use a modem bar
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
supachip1 (Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:15 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:27 pm

Pump it up first to make sure it still holds air before going through too much trouble finding a bar that mates with it...

supachip1
Medium Poster

Postby supachip1 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:15 am

Greenturtle wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:27 pm
Pump it up first to make sure it still holds air before going through too much trouble finding a bar that mates with it...
this isn't my 1st rodeo! :D

supachip1
Medium Poster

Postby supachip1 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:24 am

the last time i tried this kite out was using a quad bar and found out that it wasn't compatible!

seeing as repair work is cheap here i was going to get the shop to add an attachment point for a 5th line, it needs a pump attachment anyway, the 5th would be for relaunch as i remember it's ballache but a north 5th element would be ok with the high Y?
Last edited by supachip1 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:43 am

supachip1 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:24 am
the last time i tried this kite out was using a quad bar and nearly found out that it wasn't compatible!

seeing as repair work is cheap here to get the shop to add an attachment point for a 5th line, it needs a pump attachment anyway, the 5th would be for relaunch as i remember it's ballache but a north 5th element would be ok with the high Y?
When you attach the bar make sure that the front and rear line leaders are the same length. I seem t to remember the rear leaders being really long and the front leaders being short? Just make sure from the attachment to the kite line it's the same distance that might be why the other bar didn't work. Make a new knot if the lengths aren't right. 5th line bars are fine but you'll have to make a leader yourself and figure out the distance. Once you get it all sorted out should be fun and way safer with a new control bar than how it came from the factory. I don't think u need 5th line these kites reverse launched. I dunno I would prob run it 4 line mode at first see how you like it. Definitely works fine on 4 lines. Been a while since I flew this kite thought it had pump attachment. If not I dunno if I would not add one. kites not worth much don't spent too much time and money on it

supachip1
Medium Poster

Postby supachip1 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:24 pm

edt wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:43 am
supachip1 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:24 am
the last time i tried this kite out was using a quad bar and nearly found out that it wasn't compatible!

seeing as repair work is cheap here to get the shop to add an attachment point for a 5th line, it needs a pump attachment anyway, the 5th would be for relaunch as i remember it's ballache but a north 5th element would be ok with the high Y?
When you attach the bar make sure that the front and rear line leaders are the same length. I seem t to remember the rear leaders being really long and the front leaders being short? Just make sure from the attachment to the kite line it's the same distance that might be why the other bar didn't work. Make a new knot if the lengths aren't right. 5th line bars are fine but you'll have to make a leader yourself and figure out the distance. Once you get it all sorted out should be fun and way safer with a new control bar than how it came from the factory. I don't think u need 5th line these kites reverse launched. I dunno I would prob run it 4 line mode at first see how you like it. Definitely works fine on 4 lines. Been a while since I flew this kite thought it had pump attachment. If not I dunno if I would not add one. kites not worth much don't spent too much time and money on it
my friend does the repirs so cheap and its a lets see if it works while bored' type thing, measure the leader with the kite pumper LE down? the high north Y isn't an issue? i thought north bar were kind of north kite only?
Attachments
IMG_0372.JPG

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:28 pm

awesome!! High Y is fine with this kite. There are only a few kites that it matters if you have a high Y, most kites can take both the low V and the high Y, this one of them works with both. I've used both in the past never noticed the difference. That's not true for all kites, of course some really need that high Y or low V. The way you want to make sure your leaders are correct is when the kite is in the air if you have 5th line it has about 1 inch of slack while with the control bar pulled all the way in, both the rear and front lines have equal tension. For figuring out the 5th line, you have to put it in the air a few times to get the tension right. You can't measure it on the ground because the kite shape changes when it's in the air. For starters you want the leader to extend just past the wingtips and then adjust it as you fly until it's right. For the rear and front leaders you can just look at them to see they are equal. so crispy. It's really useful to have a low V control bar though, no harm picking one up if you want one. I usually relaunch my C kites using the opposite line technique instead of the 5th line technique, it's a little faster, but you need the low V to do it.

supachip1
Medium Poster

Postby supachip1 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:54 am

hi EDT, thanks for you tips, i've sent you a PM with a couple of questions rather than posting here each time. hope thats ok. cheers

Return to “Kitesurfing”