advice Neo / Airush Wave / Religion / Slash

Forum for kitesurfers
Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

advice Neo / Airush Wave / Religion / Slash

Postby Frankieboy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:53 pm

Hi guys,

I use Neo in 9/7/5 but just hate this kite. My son (and obviously a lot of kiters) loves it.
We share the quiver an I don't really use the 5m
To much bar pressure for my liking...

I am a heavy guy >110kg and ride surfboards only

Before the Neo's I had Slash 10/8/6 from 2017 I thinks (first model) and really liked it.

I am looking for a good wave kite with good low-end (heavy guy), light to very light bar pressure, good drift although I follow the kite more then DTL (small waves) and I use Clouds for foiling where drift is crucial to me.
Upwind capability is also crucial as we get strong currents here and can be challenging for heavy ridders like me.

Kites I would be able to test are: Neo, Airush Wave, Religion, North Carve, Slash but I would like to shortlist a bit...

Thanks for sharing your experience

Frank

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: advice Neo / Airush Wave / Religion / Slash

Postby tautologies » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:53 pm

You already have your shortlist...its the Slash. :-)
If you liked it, it has only gotten better. Feels a bit faster and more responsive now and still drifts with an amazing stability. I have not ridden the 5 but I am hoping they slow that size down compared to bigger sizes. The 7 is my favorite alongside the 9.

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:47 pm

Give the new Slash a try...

You will love it... Just amasing kite IMHO..

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi guys, did try the Slash ('19) and North Carve ('20) this morning in on-shore winds 18-22kts with SB

Carve: LE is very big. I mean very big. The kite looks good and sober.
Slash: LE is thinner, definetly higher AR then the Carve (and Neo). Top construction.

- the low-end is OK on both kites (maybe slightly better with the Slash but difficult to say)
- bar pressure is very light on both kites which I like a lot (that is why I hate the Neo...). Carve feels lighter then Slash!!! Both kites were on light bar pressure setting.
- the Carve works perfectly with the click bar I must say, better then with f*****g Neo :-) Slash is OK with this bar but it feels too heavy. Can't explain this but the same bar feels lighter in the hands with the carve... Lighter then with the Neo...
- Carve feels very light in general if you know what I mean, not only the bar pressure but the overall feeling. Slash also but not like the Carve !
- Carve turns faster then Slash but but doesn't generate pull in the turns. Slash does generate constant pull.
- drift is OK for what I could test (did some downwind on waves to see how it drifted). Slash did drift with the kite looking very solid and extremely stable in the air

I did feel once (only once) the bar shaking a bit with the carve (read it in another post or review somewhere...)

All in all a very nice feeling kites if you like light bar pressure

To me the Slash feels a bit like the Pivots I use to have years ago (before the slash exists - I think model 2015). It is very stable, very solid in the air, extremely confortable with a progressive power stroke. But it drifts much better. Better freeride kite then the carve. I guess it jumps OK (my son is pomping it right now to test it with TT)

Need to test the upper range in some side shore conditions though

Heard the Neo has no good low-end, which is not OK for me.
Religion and Airush not available for testing.

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:52 pm

Frankieboy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:41 pm
- bar pressure is very light on both kites which I like a lot (that is why I hate the Neo...)
What year Neo do you fly and do you have it on the low bar pressure setting? 2018 Neo that I have has low bar pressure on the low setting but pretty beefy on the other setting!
Frankieboy wrote:
Low end on my 2018 Neo is insane, I could always be 1 or 2m smaller than similar people.
Frankieboy wrote:
I am looking for a good wave kite with good low-end (heavy guy), light to very light bar pressure, good drift although I follow the kite more then DTL (small waves) and I use Clouds for foiling where drift is crucial to me.
Upwind capability is also crucial as we get strong currents here and can be challenging for heavy ridders like me.
Try the evo if you don't hate duotone. Very light bar pressure and ok drift, which should fit perfect for your riding style. But then again maybe you hate that one too but should be something worth trying. Also good low end, I have the 2019 in 12m.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:05 pm

The 2018 Neo had, I felt too high of bar pressure. In particular in its lower part of the range. And yes, I tried it on all settings.

The 2018 evo by contrast is light to medium in bar pressure, especially on the lightest rearward pigtail setting. The evo also turned faster and went up wind better.

If you follow your kite around and need upwind performance, you might consider some of the more all around kites like the evo.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:18 pm

Frankieboy wrote:
Hi guys, did try the Slash ('19) and North Carve ('20) this morning in on-shore winds 18-22kts with SB

Carve: LE is very big. I mean very big. The kite looks good and sober.
Slash: LE is thinner, definetly higher AR then the Carve (and Neo). Top construction.

- the low-end is OK on both kites (maybe slightly better with the Slash but difficult to say)
- bar pressure is very light on both kites which I like a lot (that is why I hate the Neo...). Carve feels lighter then Slash!!! Both kites were on light bar pressure setting.
- the Carve works perfectly with the click bar I must say, better then with f*****g Neo :-) Slash is OK with this bar but it feels too heavy. Can't explain this but the same bar feels lighter in the hands with the carve... Lighter then with the Neo...
- Carve feels very light in general if you know what I mean, not only the bar pressure but the overall feeling. Slash also but not like the Carve !
- Carve turns faster then Slash but but doesn't generate pull in the turns. Slash does generate constant pull.
- drift is OK for what I could test (did some downwind on waves to see how it drifted). Slash did drift with the kite looking very solid and extremely stable in the air

I did feel once (only once) the bar shaking a bit with the carve (read it in another post or review somewhere...)

All in all a very nice feeling kites if you like light bar pressure

To me the Slash feels a bit like the Pivots I use to have years ago (before the slash exists - I think model 2015). It is very stable, very solid in the air, extremely confortable with a progressive power stroke. But it drifts much better. Better freeride kite then the carve. I guess it jumps OK (my son is pomping it right now to test it with TT)

Need to test the upper range in some side shore conditions though

Heard the REO has no good low-end, which is not OK for me.
Religion and Airush not available for testing.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:22 pm

Exal wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:52 pm
Frankieboy wrote:
- bar pressure is very light on both kites which I like a lot (that is why I hate the Neo...)
What year Neo do you fly and do you have it on the low bar pressure setting? 2018 Neo that I have has low bar pressure on the low setting but pretty beefy on the other setting!
Frankieboy wrote:
Low end on my 2018 Neo is insane, I could always be 1 or 2m smaller than similar people.
Frankieboy wrote:
Try the evo if you don't hate duotone. Very light bar pressure and ok drift, which should fit perfect for your riding style. But then again maybe you hate that one too but should be something worth trying. Also good low end, I have the 2019 in 12m.
Hi low pressure setting, Neo 2019

Sorry I meant REO about the low end. I edited.

To me the Neo has too much bar pressure on the low-end range. It gets better in the upper range. Still too much forty liking but this is very personal. My son likes it...

Not saying it is not a good kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”