Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:25 pm

juanpasala wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:04 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:28 pm
juanpasala wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:08 pm

Got myself a 11m Sonic Race
What didn't you like about the Race? I've considered getting a VMG due to my impatience with waiting for the Sonic3. I would never buy a used race kite though.
juanpasala wrote: Can I ask you what issues?
I know there s a new 9m, a friend bought it and i am planning on trying it this week end, but the thing here might be the aspect ratio of thi kites, I understand the 9m is very close to the same aspect ratio of the 8m and the 10 is closer in AR to the 12, so that might give a hint on how the different sizes behave.
I'm having some major overflying problems and some very strange inverting issues that I've never seen before. I'm pretty sure it's not the bar and it's a new kite so I like to wait 5-10 hours before I dive into the mixer so it could be and hopefully will be a easy correction. My time on the water has drastically been reduced due to a new job so I also haven't had time to dig into it either. The strangest part is at the very low end, the kite will invert which I've never seen happen on a Soul before. It actually makes relaunching much easier but again very unusual. I'll have some time off in about 10 days and hope to get it figured out then.

=J-
I love the Sonic Race, but my main spot is Calima Lake in Colombia, so lots of wind, but a bit crazy (Loads of puffs, loads of dead zones, shifty winds and different wind speeds all along the lake), and the Sonic Race, being so light, doesnt like extreme conditions that much, that s why I am looking to add a soul for those crazy days.
I've been there, epic spot especially when the fog rolls in. Did it on my motorcycle trip down to Argentina, definitely unforgettable. I'm jealous that's your main spot!

=J-

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby foilholio » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:10 am

elguapo wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:42 pm
anyone try out horue's "albatross"?
their XXLW wing?

(the wing is being carried at the 2 second point)
I would like to try out all their models.
These users thanked the author foilholio for the post:
zob (Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:35 am)
Rating: 3.03%

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:27 pm

juanpasala wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:08 pm
elguapo wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:17 am
juanpasala wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:59 pm
Has anyone made a comparison between an 8m and a 10m soul?
I had an 8- 12 - 15 Soul quiver. Wasnt using the 8 so I sold it, and exchanged my 12 for a 11mt race kite (deeply regretting it).
I want to get a medium number again, but between my 8m and 12 mt I always prefered the behaviour of the 12...
What do you guys think?
which race kite?
Got myself a 11m Sonic Race
yeah..i traded a couple souls for a pair of hardly used (but still used) sonic VMGs..
i can only fly on 10m lines.... and i dont dare fly underpowered (unless i fancied a swim)

i'll give an effort to get competent flying them..but i'll probably get rid of them sooner than later.

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:59 pm

had my second trip today to Beach today , since getting my driving licence back 2 Saturdays ago , and I took the 8 and 10 soul to check they were set up properly , I've added a landing line , and to my other souls also , slav made me some loverly ones up , and they are around the stopper ball , and it worked great , and the kite just sat there loverly on the beach , I don't kite surf (type 1 diabetic), as its too complicated if I get a low blood sugar and I can't swim, but I have always landboarded , with early flexifoil blades in the early days and then some old flysurfers for several years, the souls are very different with the depower , and more like lei's I thought ,and I liked it very much , and it was 7mph off shore , and I got landboarding quite well and even got a couple of manuals/wheelies, I still need to tune into these more but I can see the huge potential and the hype for the soul is justified in my mind , and I can't wait to fine tune my flying to these and fly in some bigger winds and push them abit , but i'm gonna build up bit by bit as I've been away from kiting , with kidney cancer grade3 2009 , and them kidney cancer secondry 2011 and told "its months not years"-a sentence that's etched on to my brain :o ....... :D

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:50 pm

slide wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:59 pm
had my second trip today to Beach today , since getting my driving licence back 2 Saturdays ago , and I took the 8 and 10 soul to check they were set up properly , I've added a landing line , and to my other souls also , slav made me some loverly ones up , and they are around the stopper ball , and it worked great , and the kite just sat there loverly on the beach , I don't kite surf (type 1 diabetic), as its too complicated if I get a low blood sugar and I can't swim, but I have always landboarded , with early flexifoil blades in the early days and then some old flysurfers for several years, the souls are very different with the depower , and more like lei's I thought ,and I liked it very much , and it was 7mph off shore , and I got landboarding quite well and even got a couple of manuals/wheelies, I still need to tune into these more but I can see the huge potential and the hype for the soul is justified in my mind , and I can't wait to fine tune my flying to these and fly in some bigger winds and push them abit , but i'm gonna build up bit by bit as I've been away from kiting , with kidney cancer grade3 2009 , and them kidney cancer secondry 2011 and told "its months not years"-a sentence that's etched on to my brain :o ....... :D
Good on you mate! You must be stoked to get back out on the kite after so long! 8) :thumb:
These users thanked the author dave1986 for the post:
slide (Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:53 am)
Rating: 3.03%

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:35 am

and I have enjoyed reading tru this thread , and gained info , alltho the same old same old has happened with this thread, you get heated arguments where people can't help themselves and try very hard to pick holes in your posts and are just negative , why?, lifes too short for negativity -you draw in what you put out , but thx to a few members who have helped me a lot to get back, it might just be the odd word , but i'm looking forward to following this thread further

when I first joined many said you need to try the new flysurfers , and now I am starting to see, these new evolution have a very progressive depower , that can really be put to good use , the turning speed and that progressive depower , opens up a whole new way of flying , as opposed to what I had with the speed1 and then speed2, iv'e had pyscho 3 too , I did my first double rotations with my pyscho 3 10 metre , it was like a square slob of kite , but I loved the 10 metre , and my alltime favourite old flysurfer which still have and will keep , speed 2 10 metre delux, black and gold beauty, and my first experience of a light weight 10 metre , so fast and the faster you flew it , the quicker it turned , which is how I like to landboard , overpowered sliding on a hard beach really leaning back and I could get some great jumps at the end of those runs , and the souls remind me of the black and gold beauty , but with so much more going on in the depower throw :D happy indeed

slide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slide » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:07 pm

hi all , I wonder if you can help me , when I lay my kite out on the beach , I stake my kite across a landing line , (across the 2 stopper's), and then unroll the kite to sit on the beach , which it does nicely when the kite is pumped up , but last week the trailing edge keep blowing up while I was trying to get air in to the top vents , now here is my question - if I pull the trim right in , after staking across the landing line ,when I unroll the kite will that pull the top toward the stake more and help with the trailing edge keep blowing up , which is a right pain when i'm trying to inflate the kite, what do ya think . I like to pull the kite down in front of me and drop the landing line on the
stake and unhook letting the bar go , so now with the soul am I best to trim in before I pull the kite down on the outside lines , I have got this way of doing it , In bigger wind I give the back lines a good tug to pull it down a bit , and release it a bit as it comes down , I can do it pretty softly with practice,

when I take off if its windy I''ll walk round a bit , every step I take will take power out of the laurnch , that's how I use to fly flexi blades , bring em down downwind , and just walk round 2 or 3 steps to take off , just watch the kite in case the down wind wing tip starts to flick about
Last edited by slide on Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:20 pm

Hey, slide. Are you on a sandy beach? Obvious solution might be sand along the trailing edge to hold it down?

I think you may have trouble keeping the trailing edge down without sand (or comparable) before the kite is inflated, especially in higher winds. Once your kite has some structure, pulling trim might work. But during launch, you'd want your trim all the way out, so I don't know if you really gain much.

slide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slide » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:06 pm

yea I always put sand on the trailing edge , after siffing out the razor shells , they are a bleep bleep night mare-but on Thursday I could not keep the trailing edge on the ground long enough , and as quick as I was putting the sand on , it was flapping about blowing off , I never had this problem with speed2's, they use to flag out loverly on the beach - even my speed2 10 metre delux- there did seem a lot of kite wanting to still sit on the ground with the soul , this is how we use to set blade brakes up ' by the amount of trailing edge that sat on the ground , and there did seem a lot on the soul sitting on the beach until it was inflated then it sat there perfectly

tomorrow I might put the landing line on the stake , keep the lines a little loose , and lay a little bit of the kite at a time out each side putting sand on the trailing edge and try to get wind in the vents in the middle first as I slowly unroll the rest putting more sand on as I go , I have still to fully tune into modern flysurfers , so i'll get it ,hopefully tomorrow :lol: by the way i'm landboarding, and sometimes lay the board on the kite for the weight while I set the lines out before flagging the kite out i'll have try out tomorrow

slide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slide » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:05 pm

its like too much brake on until it inflates , when it inflates it sits there loverly on the stake on the landing line , so I know its right , I've maybe got to alter my method a little bit

Return to “Foil Kites”