Fatality in Delaware today

Forum for kitesurfers
ThickAir
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Fatality in Delaware today

Postby ThickAir » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:27 am

https://www.capegazette.com/article/man ... ach/190090

No idea what happened. I was kiting today about 5 miles away. Fairly windy - 8m/9m weather. Blowing high 20s - low 30s. Warm air and water. Spot is popular with novice riders. Shallow bay with water you can stand up in for couple hundred yards out. Sounds like he was just body dragging. His dad watched it happen - so sad.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Fatality in Delaware today

Postby Toby » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:35 am

Sad to hear this. My condolences.

Sounds really strange. I hope we get details from any eyewitness to understand what happened.

RIP

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:20 am

It is a terrible thing, I wish his father, family and friends strength.

The bay shoreline around Towers Beach seems to run SSE. The wind record showed pretty gusty conditions near the reported time of the accident around 12:43 pm. Plus the wind seemed out of the NNW and then shifted to N which would slightly be side off and gusted up to 35 mph or so. This was from a wind meter just to the north at Dewey Beach. It might have just pulled him to deepwater as reported and to exhaustion particularly if he had a larger kite? The couple hundred yard shallow water margin lessens the risk but perhaps not enough. Do many people teach in that area of Rehoboth Bay? Does anyone have more specifics in this sad accident? Thanks.
windalert 12.45pm.jpeg
ThickAir wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:27 am
https://www.capegazette.com/article/man ... ach/190090

No idea what happened. I was kiting today about 5 miles away. Fairly windy - 8m/9m weather. Blowing high 20s - low 30s. Warm air and water. Spot is popular with novice riders. Shallow bay with water you can stand up in for couple hundred yards out. Sounds like he was just body dragging. His dad watched it happen - so sad.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:45 am

Obviously, don't know the details at this point ... but if he was a beginner he shouldn't have been body dragging in winds that were gusting to 35 mph. :cry:

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:35 pm

So sad, RIP. I was glad to hear this was not a child, apparently it a 48 year old man(still very sad obviously).

Return to “Kitesurfing”