meusmeus
Rare Poster
Gear: 11m north evo
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Waterproof bag for diabetic kiter

Postby meusmeus » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:15 pm

Hi,

I’m a type 1 diabetic and need to have sugar on me in case of an emergency. Also on the water I need the sugar with me. Now I ride with an aquapac attached to my harness. But its heavy and in case I need the sugar there is no way I can reach it easily. For example I need to swim a long distance back to shore and my blood sugar is dropping.

Does anyone have an idea of a bag I can use? I once saw an advertisement of a surfer who wore a little bag on his chest above the harness, the bag was attached with to straps over his shouldes/back. Unfortunatly I never found the brand.

Thanks!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Waterproof bag for diabetic kiter

Postby tautologies » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:17 pm

How about something like this?

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:22 pm

My son also is T1D. He started with surfing and kiting last year. I make sure he hits the water with the usual sports high along with some loading of complex carbs for the run. I manage the run off the water - get him out after one hour - recheck his BG and adjust as needed.

Much easier to manage it on the beach as dropping a kite and restarting takes seconds. I stuff his wetsuit sleves with easy to tear sweets just in case.

We leave all the usual gadgets off the water - airplane mode. Probably PM me if you have more detailed questions

G

chibern
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SoCal
Style: Spastic
Gear: Anything

Postby chibern » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:45 pm

How about just throwing a couple of something like this in a pocket?
Annotation 2019-10-03 134413.png

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:50 pm

I use the DaKine solo bag. It attaches on either the side of the harness (some better than others) and has mesh that water can flow through.
edit:
Oh I guess the solo bag's not waterproof. I use one of the thin rollup waterproof bags if I put something in there that I need protected. Maybe too much of a hassle for a candy though. The gel shots are probably your best bet.
Attachments
solo-bag_demo.jpg
solo-bag_demo.jpg (39.01 KiB) Viewed 1217 times

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:09 am

Most food wrappers are completely water proof. A mixed bag of individually sealed sweets would provide redundancy. Otherwise a bottled drink. Zip lock bags especially in multiple layers will waterproof anything, I would use them in addition to a waterproof bag for valuables like passport or phone etc. Make sure to push out most the air from them. A vacuum food sealer would be another option if you wanted to get serious.

Kozzie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: brighton
Style: freestyle

Postby Kozzie » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:25 am

Gnaw on burnt sticks of suger cane as you ride itll slowly seep into your system and you can attach a gopro to it

I have a simular problem when kiting but with alcohol not suger.

So i will put a handfull of vodka centered candys in my mouth before a session and also have a flask mount on my harness with gin ive let cherrys soak in for 4 days incase of emergency
images (54).jpeg
images (54).jpeg (6.5 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
images (53).jpeg
images (53).jpeg (6.11 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
images (43).jpeg
images (43).jpeg (23.93 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
fat-man-eating-candy-at-work.jpg
fat-man-eating-candy-at-work.jpg (9.03 KiB) Viewed 1084 times

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:01 am

If I go long distance or crossings, I have a GPS in an elbow strap, quite similar to the ones runners use for their mobile phones, just a bit thicker.

Not waterproof, but if needed you can put the "carbs" in a thin plastic bag, takes no time to tear open if needed.

But a Yankie or Mars bar or similar, IS in a waterproof packing, so I just stick one of them into the armband, can not be easier, and it IS just for emergency.

I dont know about this one, but just for illustration what, or something similar, could work easy:

I am very careful not having rapid insuline in my body for some hours before going out, based on experience, have had type1 for 45 years.

8) Peter

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:37 am

hi i'm a type1 diabetic also , I landboard , I avoid insulin when I'm kiting and normally have a cheese sandwich when I walk down the beach , with no insulin and check myself about an hour and a half later and I have oaty bars , protein bars as I don't eat meat ,and i'll carry those little tubes of wine gums , and if i'm having a possible low sugar moment I have a tube of wine gums , which is about right if I have a hypo to bring my sugar back up , without going too high

I admire you guys kitesurfing , with type 1 diabetes , that is a challenge, land boarding with it is difficult enough for me
Last edited by slide on Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:13 pm

I like the new zipper open bags over roll tops, and clamp tops, because they are easier, quicker, and more durable. Niteize makes several models.
https://www.niteize.com/collection/Travel.asp

Return to “Kitesurfing”