Plummet Mutant V3

Forum for kitesurfers
AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Plummet Mutant V3

Postby AndersP » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:16 pm

I agree with Harry, When I look down on my heel edge the water releases from the edge long before the sharp corner of the board. The corner makes a deep 'cut' in the water and probably a lot of resistance. I believe the corner gives grip in the water, and maybe it's not a good idea to round it off to much.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:13 pm

Ok team, here's my mutant build picture montage

Lase cut cut/drill template
15514769.jpg
Shaping the cores
15535738.jpg
3d printed titanium inserts
15542211.jpg
Tapering the core top layer
15542898.jpg
Waterjet cutting the press ribs
15580611.jpg
Press/vaccumm bag combo
15597878.jpg
After sanding, a blow out of peel ply not peeling off meant hours of sanding.
15647044.jpg
Resin coat layers
15669878.jpg
15680983.jpg
Finished and ready to ride
15682933.jpg
15682935.jpg
15682937.jpg

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:02 pm

Looking good, man! Weren't you going to do an extra kick on the nose?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:11 pm

I have an eccentric rocker. IE more rocker at the front than the back. I did have more springback after pressing than expected so the end rocker is about 5mm less than I wanted.

I've done one session on the board prior to top coating. It's fast, efficient and dynamic. I think it will be an awesome light/moderate wind stormer that bridges the gap to my hydrofoil.
But I think I pulled too much rocker out for riding massive waves. Small/intermediate waves it will be sweet on.

For bigger monster waves I think I will need to make a high rocker version.
Perhaps I'll revert back to my original press ribs for mutant V2 and use this profile.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:13 pm

extra kick on nose is super extra resistance. Even if this look contra intuitive - nose scoop have HUGE influence on board resistance. Kick on nose mean every time you crash into wave board start pushing water. And every turn you dig whole length board in water you push water.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:48 pm

Hmmm, I would say just the opposite - for really big waves you need less rocker, as you want a faster board with more control to get past sections.

Whereas for smaller steeper waves you need rocker, on cost of speed (and somewhat control)

And in really small waves a wider tail.

8) Peter
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:09 pm

tomtom wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:13 pm
extra kick on nose is super extra resistance. Even if this look contra intuitive - nose scoop have HUGE influence on board resistance. Kick on nose mean every time you crash into wave board start pushing water. And every turn you dig whole length board in water you push water.
I was under the impression the extra kick on the nose would be for exactly those times you do crash into the wave.

So that it would push.
Water. Down. Instead of in,
and under water.

haiku! :wink:

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:12 pm

Cool looking board. The uni in the Z pattern is a nice touch. What weight of cloth did you use? Final weight?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:09 pm

Your logic makes sense Peter as far as wave arc angle is concerned. My thought process is that i care less if i bury the nose in smaller stuff. So I can give away some wave performance for better upwinding and boosting performance. But on big waves i do not want to bury the nose in any circumstance. So i would prefer more nose rocker to ensure that doesn't happen.

But i've only had one 40 min session in pitchy shitty shore break. Now i need to get out there for some real testing.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:14 pm

plummet wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:09 pm
Your logic makes sense Peter as far as wave arc angle is concerned. My thought process is that i care less if i bury the nose in smaller stuff. So I can give away some wave performance for better upwinding and boosting performance. But on big waves i do not want to bury the nose in any circumstance. So i would prefer more nose rocker to ensure that doesn't happen.

But i've only had one 40 min session in pitchy shitty shore break. Now i need to get out there for some real testing.

It does, but it is experience in waves that has lead to these choices, not the logic as such.

Should emphasize that when I say rocker I dont mean nose-rocker, or scoop as it is called.
How much lift in the nose is mostly a personal thing.

It is the main rockerline, and the tail or tailkick that is most important to select for the waves (combined with width and V or not of course).

So using a flatter line/tailkick for bigger waves, to get more speed so able to surf in control on big monsters, and also able to carve around closing sections to get to the clean lip.

And in medium but steeper waves, more rocker or tailkick works fine for hooking into the waveface, and you dont need the same board speed.

For small waves or low wind it is personal as said, a wider tail of course, but whether a more flat rockerline so you can glide a lot easier but need to control your cutback, or you prefer more rocker so you need more power but a he.. of a lot better and smoother cutback, is just a choice.

I assume these characteristics for waveboards should fit the very same on a wave mutant board :thumb:

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”