Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Single strut kite comparison

Postby andylc » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:37 am

I’m very happy with my F-one Breeze 13m. Good low end and great wind range. Bar pressure firm, feedback not as precise as the Bandit but steers fast for the size, overall very good, I don’t have anything to compare it to though and I use it for light wind riding but not foiling. I haven’t dropped it much but it relaunches easily.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:58 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:20 pm
Everyone will have one soon enough. SS have the Ghost, LF the solo and North the Mono. Then there is Gong and Voyager who were early adopters. I think the field is big enough and the market experienced enough that you can't just say you would be happy with any of them.

I would love to hear impressions and comparisons of any of them.

@ Tomtom,

What makes you rate the Alpha so highly?
Because it have least typical one /zero/ struts problems. means flapping - "sloppy" bar feeling etc.., and best relaunch /with very good reverse relaunch/. - while is among lightest if not lightest.
Mono was joke till 2018.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:02 am

And i dont think that there is huge difference between them - i just think without - overthinking - alpha is safest bet.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:59 am

I´ve owned older 1-strut kites (Mono, Solo) and 0-strut (Cloud C1, Storm Voyager V2). Didn´t like them, slow, grunty (too much pull in wind direction, little depower, tiny range).
Now I have the 2019 Naish Boxer in 10 m². It is a dream! Relatively fast turning, super light in the air even in lightest winds, super good depower and huge range / sweetspot, extremely stable in the air, super good drift, silly-good water relaunch even in almost no wind - unbelievable really. This is the only kite I feel totally relaxed with on my Moses 633, never overpowered, just everything is optimal at any time, no fear of that low-wind session because I know that kite will always relaunch. No flutter, very good bar feedback.

I fly many different wave kites (3-strut). The Boxer is absolutely perfect for foiling. Will get me some smaller versions soon.
Last edited by Onda on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:15 pm

I know this thread is about single struts but I want to throw in the Kauper XT into the discussion, because it is almost as light as other single struts (9M Kauper XT 2280g, 10M Alpha 2200g) but doesn't come with the huge advantages all of these single struts come with. It doesn't flap nearly as much, does not have this very annoying sloppy bar feeling, is way more stable, has a bigger windrange, stays in the air almost like a soul and it turns quicker. Also, it comes with a pricetag which Ozone cannot compete with. This kite is ahead of all the kites mentioned here.

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:20 pm

Own an older 12m Mono and a 9m Ultra v2. The latter is awesome, nice and responsive. Big surf wing pocket board 78kg and I'm going in 8-9 knots no issue. Also use it on sb in waves, perfect drift and good upwind. Haven't had any issues with relaunch.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:30 pm

tomtom wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:02 am
And i dont think that there is huge difference between them - i just think without - overthinking - alpha is safest bet.
with you all the way Ttom

Had the breeze 11 and 15mtr, a bit flappy, but overall good, someone else thought my breeze was a belter, so pinched it, never to be seen again :angryfire:

I was sent the mono to demo, sent it back, wobbly feel, but the colour choice was not to my liking mainly.

Owned 2 alphas the 10 and 12, loved them, so easy to relaunch in winds most kites would not relaunch in,
stable and well made with no pulleys, and great colours

I think all these kites are great for foilboards, the Alpha being the stand out one for me, however for Ttip use and boosting then forget it, they don't play the Ttip game as well as 3 or 5 strutters.

Dave
after using your 13mtr Chrono for a few months more, then smaller foils kites like the 9mtr chrono UL may well become very attractive and compelling to use once you get the bug.
It happened to me,
I have now gone pumpless, but it did take a bit to get over the fear of using foil kites in all conditions, its not a easy transition,
and now totally understand most peoples reservations.
but the boosting and power delivery of foil kites is addictive.
still waiting for my 7 and 11mtr.
(foil kites also work very well on Ttips)

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:52 pm

I have owned 3 different ones. The Liquid Force Solo was a big disappointment mainly because of the weight it was heavier than many 3 strut kites. I sold it right away. There was a lot of flapping on it too but it was decent for jumping and powerful. Not very good for foiling it would Hindenburg like a heavy kite going downwind in little wind. I have 2 Airush Ultra which I love for foiling and I kept them 2 years later I still think they are brilliant. They are not the best for jumping on a twintip but it's doable. The hangtime is very good. There's a lot of flapping when overpowered. I have a 15M and a 12M. I also have a 9M Naish Boxer that's the kite I use the most for foiling in ligth to medium wind. It's heavier than the Airush for the same size but there's a lot less flapping due to the battens. It's a great kite overall good power good drift good depower. It feels more like a regular kite than the others. I'm sticking with my current fleet (I also have a full quiver of freeride kites) but if I went for something else I would really like to demo the Alpha first!

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:57 pm

Overpowered the F-one Breeze (V2) jumps as high as anything I've used, with the added advantage of being manageable even when very powered, and flying well when trimmed. I don't find it at all flappy which may be an improvement from V1. But as others have said the latest models from all manufacturers are probably all pretty comparable.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:28 pm

Ultra 9m v2.

Just had an awesome sesh on 17-20kn with 17m lines, and TT. No noticeable flapping. Was thinking to take out my R1 11m with a new bar, but thank God I did not.

Brilliant kite. Whats about the solid strut LE connection? It is the same as on Ozone Edge. Pump it hard and thats it.

Relaunch? A breeze comparing to a high aspect kites like Edge. Not even comparable with foils. Including Soul. I mean, paid $600, right? For 3000, any foil should relaunch itself on my voice command ;) When not looking :)

Loops? Ha. Looping a foil is, well, boring. This thing loops really well. Heaps better than any high aspect in that size.

Jumps? Average, but I do not jump any more. Get Edge for that ;)

To compare, other kiter was on Screamer 12. Says a lot.

And Im riding 120/42 board, 6Okg.

Return to “Hydrofoil”