Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Plummet Mutant V3

Forum for kitesurfers
wood1
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Plummet Mutant V3

Postby wood1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:39 pm

hello, you can add a curved piece to the nose like the old f-one "Style" twintips ,make it as curved as you like to prevent getting caught in waves.
it can be bolted down with the fin screws
282949909_small.jpg
282949909_small.jpg (24.08 KiB) Viewed 1376 times

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:06 pm

thewindego wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:12 pm
Cool looking board. The uni in the Z pattern is a nice touch. What weight of cloth did you use? Final weight?

200grm spread town and unit. Havent go a final weight yet. Need to find some scales.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:13 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:14 pm
plummet wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:09 pm
Your logic makes sense Peter as far as wave arc angle is concerned. My thought process is that i care less if i bury the nose in smaller stuff. So I can give away some wave performance for better upwinding and boosting performance. But on big waves i do not want to bury the nose in any circumstance. So i would prefer more nose rocker to ensure that doesn't happen.

But i've only had one 40 min session in pitchy shitty shore break. Now i need to get out there for some real testing.

It does, but it is experience in waves that has lead to these choices, not the logic as such.

Should emphasize that when I say rocker I dont mean nose-rocker, or scoop as it is called.
How much lift in the nose is mostly a personal thing.

It is the main rockerline, and the tail or tailkick that is most important to select for the waves (combined with width and V or not of course).

So using a flatter line/tailkick for bigger waves, to get more speed so able to surf in control on big monsters, and also able to carve around closing sections to get to the clean lip.

And in medium but steeper waves, more rocker or tailkick works fine for hooking into the waveface, and you dont need the same board speed.

For small waves or low wind it is personal as said, a wider tail of course, but whether a more flat rockerline so you can glide a lot easier but need to control your cutback, or you prefer more rocker so you need more power but a he.. of a lot better and smoother cutback, is just a choice.

I assume these characteristics for waveboards should fit the very same on a wave mutant board :thumb:

8) Peter
Well I have less rocker in the tail, but more width and less tail V. So lets see what happens when I hit bigger waves.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:14 pm

wood1 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:39 pm
hello, you can add a curved piece to the nose like the old f-one "Style" twintips ,make it as curved as you like to prevent getting caught in waves.
it can be bolted down with the fin screws

282949909_small.jpg

Nah,,,, if If i decide i want more not rocker for different conditions ill make another board to suit.

Kozzie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: brighton
Style: freestyle

Postby Kozzie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:31 am

Looks good ol plumbob congratulations and try not to get it stolen this time ay bit of gaffa tape around the middle thieves will think shes been snapped in half wont want it.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:44 pm

Well for the last few months I've had a stuffed rib so I haven't been able to blaze on the mutant. But I've had a few good sessions and the one yesterday was a stonker.

I've now got the bindings in full offset as far back as I can. That means I need to do a little bit more rear foot-stomping going backward, but man I'm getting the handle of this board.
Upwind on this board is incredible. It cranks upwind hard! not as good as my hydrofoil but it's way way better than my old mutant. Yesterday I had the opposite tack and got to where I wanted to be in one tack. The old board took at least 3-4 tacks. So this thing just mows upwind in both directions.
To begin with, I thought I'd lost too much rocker as it was a bit nose divy compared to my old high rockered mutant. Moving to the bindings rearward has improved that hugely. Its still not as good as my old board for steep faces but I no longer have to worry about nose-diving on the wave face. That means I can to explore what the board can do.

And man am I having fun. This board is fast and carves like a demon, High-speed Tilman like carves are super lush. I can hold a tighter upwind angle toeside and get some astounding toe to heal carves on the wave face or in the shallows. As I said yesterday was opposite tack to normal so mutant facing forward going out. Holy shit can this thing boost off a wave lip. The nose and tail prep give good bite when loading up off the lip or even on the flat. Quite a few times I was surprised at the height I got jumping off little tiddler ramps in the shallows. Also the fast acceleration means you only need a few meters of run up to get up to speed for a good boards. My old board used to take alot longer to wind up to speed.

Overall this is a better board. I've given up a little bit of wave performance. But I've gained a huge amount of upwind ability, Boosting ability is well improved and carving is incredibly lush.

Oh yeah. I like it when a plan comes together.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:00 pm

Nice, when does it go into production? You know, for the rest of us that don’t want to do the build, just want the ride! 🙏🏼

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:07 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:00 pm
Nice, when does it go into production? You know, for the rest of us that don’t want to do the build, just want the ride! 🙏🏼
Well i dont have the facilities to manufacture at to get any decent level of economies of a scale. But i do entertain the idea of subbing the build out to a botique builder to build on my behalf. So maybe we will see some Plummet mutants some time in the next year or 2.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:23 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:48 pm
Hmmm, I would say just the opposite - for really big waves you need less rocker, as you want a faster board with more control to get past sections.

Whereas for smaller steeper waves you need rocker, on cost of speed (and somewhat control)

And in really small waves a wider tail.

8) Peter
Well you were right. I got into some decent peeling slabs today. 4m swell and a gusty 30 knots.

Oh, the board is good, real good.
I had ample speed when needed, I could slow down control speed at whim and then crank full pace down a jacking face with some really nice carves. The board bites in harder than my old board and Iays down some very sweet top and bottom turns.

Jeese I had a blast. That was fun. It's also more chuckable and playful if your want to get all cutback lips sprays. Me I'm more of a high speed Carver.

There was a few times where I was fully tapped out powered and really had to crank it hard to control speed. I thought maybe I cant hold as much power on this board and top out too quickly. But checking the live weather station after the session gusts were topping of at 38 knots on average with a few 40+ gusts. That explains why I was fully tapped out on occasions but could still keep it in control.

So the testing is complete now. I've have sessions from 15 to 40 + knots gusts. Ankle biters to washing machine slop to 4m clean swells.

It is without a doubt my best board yet. Oh I love it when a plan comes together.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:27 pm

Rocker line, flexing/stiffness, board structure, even pads/straps in some respects; they are all primitive and only partially executed in all contemporary kiteboards.

I wonder where is true creativity here. It is hard to tell difference from new kite boards to 2006 boards. Ok, some rails to bottom have been introduced, adding drag of course.

Nice build however in this thread.

Return to “Kitesurfing”