Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

One vs two front straps on board

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: One vs two front straps on board

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:25 pm

It will come pretty fast, toeside, just use two straps in front, and one in the rear quite far rear.

The first years when hydrofoiling escalated, it was around 2013-2014 here, the obvious thought was to use a center strap to get the surf feeling when carving around.

But we quickly found out it made no sense, as you dont have any advantages having your front foot over the center at all.

On a surfboard yes, it is needed like that, a center strap quite wide so you can have your front foot over the center pushing the leeward rail in lean over bottom turns.

But hydrofoils dont work nor turn this way, so here you can stand with both feet on your heelward edge when using straps, and still carve tight lean over turns.
If not having a rear strap, or strapless, the best balance is when either both feet are at the center, OR, quite often even better IMO, the front foot towards the heel edge, and then the rear foot towards the toe edge.

This is most likely how you would ride with two front straps also, and having no rear strap or your foot in front of the rear strap - standing with the rear foot a bit more inside.

It will give you a perfect balance standing on line with the mast.
But more importantly, it will be easier to ride toeside because your body is opened up more so you dont have to twist your body like a circus contortionist, and when riding normal heelside you have a much better open body position for riding upwind.

Sometimes it feels good to stand front foot on the center too when carving strapless, simply personal taste but even more simply a great way of mixing it up.

Two front straps, not in doubt.
When you have to learn to rolltack, two frontstraps makes it 100 times easier as you can almost just slip around from one to the other.

8) Peter

Just visualisation, and strapless, but show how perfect 2 frontstraps will work.
Here the classic hydrofoil stance front foot more to heel edge rear foot to toe edge:
OffCenter9.jpg
And also a bit more on the leeside works no problem, so even with 2 frontstraps and one rear strap you can carve tight and ride toeside:
OffCenter1.jpg

Don Lester
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Is.
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Is. Ca.
Los Barriles, Mx
Style: All
Gear: TT, Surf, Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Don Lester » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:42 pm

In the beginning of Foil-boarding there was a huge misconception that if you used straps they should be adjusted very loosely for your foot. That couldn't be more wrong.......because that's how your foot can get jammed tight when you fall therefore twisting your ankle or worse. Your foot straps should be adjusted as small as possible so you barely get your toes sticking out, that way when you fall your foot can't get jammed in tight.......
These users thanked the author Don Lester for the post (total 2):
airsail (Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:59 pm) • Delta99 (Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:53 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:18 am

Don Lester wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:42 pm
In the beginning of Foil-boarding there was a huge misconception that if you used straps they should be adjusted very loosely for your foot. That couldn't be more wrong.......because that's how your foot can get jammed tight when you fall therefore twisting your ankle or worse. Your foot straps should be adjusted as small as possible so you barely get your toes sticking out, that way when you fall your foot can't get jammed in tight.......

I think this is debatable.

There are two ways, really loose/long or really tight.

Both seems to work regarding "getting out" easy.

Whereas a good fit like many twintippers like, is a no-go, too risky to get jammed.

8) PF

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:09 am

Don Lester wrote:
Wow, I strongly disagree. Your footstraps should be loose! That's the way we all ride around here.
I have enjoyed hundreds of sessions with my loose footstraps and not had any foot problem since my very early beginner days.
I also advise using two front footstraps so your front foot goes straight in and out. With one footstrap your foot is angled and more likely to not move freely. (It is also much easier to jibe and tack with two front footstraps rather than one)

:wink: CG

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:14 am

Here is a picture showing relativley loose footstraps that all racers use.. and everyone else I know too.
The rider is in the middle of a tack.

:wink:
image033.jpg

Sgallian
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 80
Local Beach: La Saline - Reunion Island
Favorite Beaches: La Prairie - Mauritius
Tarifa
Style: Freeride - Freestyle - Strapless - Foil
Gear: 2017 Naish Dash, 2019 Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Soul 12m
NHP SplitBoard Carbon(2016) , 50/Fifty
Nobile Infinity Split Foil 5'2
Zeeko SpitFire Foil

Postby Sgallian » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:09 am

AndersP wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:33 pm
The "unibrow" strap, same as grigorib described is really good. Perfect for starting and you can choose where to have your foot sideways. Toeside riding just as strapless. Very easy to twist your foot out of it to ride pure strapless. If you have it low, just your toes goes in it, there is no chanche to get stuck.
For me it is much better than straps and hooks.
So THAT's what I saw on the video from this post: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2404515 (BTW from this post, looks like it is not that safe either...)
I have a problem with my front straps not being positioned forward enough on the board, and also prefering to have my foot on the middle.
This "unibrow" ( :lol: love the name, even thoug I suppose this is not its official designation) strap would solve both the issues, as I still need the front strap for the waterstart (or maybe I should try strapless waterstart, anyway no back foot strap for me, no no boosting...)
Where can you get it?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:49 am

[/quote]
anyway no back foot strap for me, no no boosting...)
[/quote]

so funny :D
that's exactly what I used to think and say.

even after 2 years in, I was still claiming I would never jump a foilboard,
but then when no one was looking I tried my first little 6inch jump with two feet in straps, mistake!
that was me hooked.

After that first tiny boost I was completely addicted to boosting, it's harder than boosting a Ttip, and I was pretty dam good at that,
landing a flying foilboard is way more technical to get right, but for some weird reason is much more engaging and fun,
I know it can look lame at times but being able to fly high in next to no wind is an awesome buzz.

don't lock yourself out of what i believe is the best sensation in the foilboarding experience. :thumb:
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
Sgallian (Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:43 am)
Rating: 3.03%

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:46 am

Don Lester wrote:
That couldn't be more wrong.......because that's how your foot can get jammed tight when you fall therefore twisting your ankle or worse. Your foot straps should be adjusted as small as possible so you barely get your toes sticking out, that way when you fall your foot can't get jammed in tight.......
I can not disagree more! :nono:
Adjusted so your toes just stick out the toe side end is just asking for trouble!
As posted, see MANY racer and other foot straps on KBHFs, NONE tight as best as I can find!
R H

Return to “Hydrofoil”